Anyone have Phant0m's rules

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by SimonW, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimonW

SimonW Registered Member

Recently had to rebuild my PC and now due to Phant0m going elsewhere I can't get hold of the various .rie files he created. I remember his advanced ruleset, and also he created some for us Shareaza users, i.e. a single import containing settings for BitTorrent, Gnutella1, Gnutella2 and edonkey.

Anyone still have them? Also, many of his discussion threads where these were discussed seem to have also been removed.

BTW - as someone noted in a separate thread it has gone very quiet in here. We used to see 3 or 4 new messages a day, and more often than not learn something useful just by following the discussion involved. LooknStop is a fairly complex and highly configurable firewall, so does require expert hands-on-advice for new users like myself to get the most from it...

I've absolutely no problem with someone who voluntarily gave his time -having or choosing to stop doing so, but where does it leave the rest of us ?! :'(

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Anyone is free sending them to your email address as mentioned in your profile. Apart from that, you might drop Phant0m an email; he's still a member over here and his addy is in his profile.

Our staff as well as the dedicated LnS Moderators are the only ones able to remove threads - and we have not done so. Phant0m might have removed his posts in existing threads.

In effect, this is up to the software developer. We host the forums over on this board; support is a matter from the software developer and LnS Moderators first and foremost.

regards.

paul

3. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

4. Paul Wilders

Phant0m,

This is no contest - we did not remove any of your posts for sure. Thus, let's move on; you might help someone out here :)

regards.

paul

5. Phant0m

Who said this to be any contest of any kind?
    You or others may have not removed anything, but I know I absolutely haven’t, to make the assumption publicly that I did is very wrong of a board admin.

6. Phant0m

Hey SimonW

Do you remember some of the topics names that my posts been supposedly removed from? Or topics supposedly deleted? I’m actually very interested myself what has happened to them.

Regards,
    Phant0m``

7. Paul Wilders

Merely keeping things into perspective. The presumption was a logical one; apart from staff, only those who actually posted can delete their posts. And for the record: we decide what's right or wrong over here :)

regards.

paul

8. Phant0m

Then you have no morals to publicly make assumptions that I would even dare do such a thing… And if this is the type of behaviour I’ll be expecting in the future then I’ll just discontinue from the board, even though I don’t want to but I will.

9. Paul Wilders

Merely a matter of logics, Phant0m - as explained. You are most welcome over here. I for one am not going to allow this turning into a flame. It's up to you to discontinue from the board or help people out.

regards.

paul

10. Phant0m

Now I’m confused, anyone who registers must participate?
    Or is it anyone who registers “may” participate? ;)

While I’m around, SimonW send me a PM with your E-mail and I’ll get back to yea…

11. Paul Wilders

yes! (just kidding) :D

sounds good :)

regards.

paul

12. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

It's a shame that problems cannot be resolved at this time. Most of us do not know all the reasons for the conflict but I for one am concerned that it will reduce the overall excellent support we have had so far for LNS.

As a LookNStop user I found Phant0m's posts here and his web-site invaluable and I presume it allowed Frederic to concentrate on his programming.

Can the parties involved, take a time-out, cool down and try and reach a conclusion which will benefit all LookNStop users i.e. will Phant0m's site be up and running somewhere in the future and will he continue to offer support to the program here at Wilders or elsewhere?

I have sent him a pm in the past which he replied to together with a copy of his rules set. But this is not an ideal way to receive support!!!!

13. Paul Wilders

As far as I know, there is no conflict. Phant0m decided to focus his interests elsewhere. Personally, I would have prefered Phant0m would have sticked to LnS support - at the leats not abandonning support over here. But in the end, it's a personal choice he has made. And everyone is entitled to change habits.

As for Phant0ms Lns website: I fully agree. As for Frederic: there's only one who can comment on that one - Frederic himself.

There's no conflict, thus no need to cool down. We have provided Phant0m with a server dedicated to LnS support for free, as an extension to the support provided over here. We do value (extended) support. In this context, we have pulled the plug as soon as Phant0m expressed he would focus on other interests, leaving LnS support as it is. In case Phant0m decides it's a good thing to focus on LnS support again, we will once more provide a free server to Phant0m for that purpose at once.

Bottom line: no conflict, merely Phant0m changing his focus.

Support is provided first and foremost by the software developer and the LnS Moderator. The way Phant0m wishes to provide support is enterily up to him - as should be perfectly clear by now.

regards.

paul

14. Blackcat

Thanks for replying, Paul.

Now Phant0m any chance of getting your old site up and running again even if you have transferred your time and efforts to another firewall?

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hey Blackcat

As Paul Wilders said there is no conflict, Paul Wilders was incredibly nice to lend a web-server as long as I agreed on some terms, one of the terms had been broken when I stop providing Constant help over the Look ‘n’ Stop forum to test running different Software Firewalls around the time of SPI Topic (started near end of it). And I guess user had a question which never got answered by me since I was on “SHORT SPELL” away not only from the Look ‘n’ Stop Forum but Wilders board also not to mention among other things to be testing many different Software Firewalls Installing/Configuring and running thorough tests on them, while in process of doing all that I was being played right out to be doing anything else at the time.

Anyways my attentions were to leave the website up and continue to update it even though I was in process looking into other Software Firewalls, but that wasn’t enough my constant presents on the Look ‘n’ Stop Forum were required also.

As for abandoning support over here, my attentions were not to-do so or at least for very long while I was in process of test running different Software Firewalls, and now my focuses are mainly elsewhere such as into programming. I’m working on a project as we speak; thinking of my future is foremost important now as I am poor and may loose a lot since my dad had been diagnosed with cancer this year and may not have long to live.

Blackcat as for any chance of my old website returning, probability of that are slim. I can’t afford food much less web-server, and I surely don’t want hands outs just to be tied down with conditions.

I wouldn’t do any worrying I know for a fact I’ll not be the last dedicated user to Look ‘n’ Stop, and now wilders improving and more folks to come. Surely there be lot of assistance now, and as time persists I will come and offer a helping hand.

It’s been a pleasure to have worked with you all, and I’m better fellow because of all you. Anyone remember when I was starting off fresh to Message Boards when I joined Becky’s Board? Now look at me, and I have all you to thank.

Bests Regards,
    Phant0m``

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

shoot! I forgot to login... :[

17. storm119

storm119 Registered Member

Hi Phant0m,

I need your `Phant0m's rules' for dsl ones.I did pm'g you yesterday but no answer till now.Could you please give me the rules..please :).

I guess someone should mirror it `Phant0m Rules' by now,since alot ppl asking for it.

Just my $0.02 cts.

18. Blackcat

Phant0m

Sorry to hear about your father and do not give up hope as they can do a lot for various cancers now. Oviously your family and your life comes before any small requests here.

I do hope, when there is time, that you can return in some capacity to this board and give valuable help/support on firewalls.

Good luck in the future.

19. Ob?lix

Ob?lix Registered Member

Hey I've missed something here ! This would explain the lack of response from him.
    If what you're saying is true, I can only join myself to your support towards PhantOm, 'cause I've been facing these deseases within my family during the past years.

20. dukebluedevil

dukebluedevil Registered Member

Might be a good idea if Frederic posted some of Phant0m's rulesets on the Look'n'Stop website for people, with Phant0ms consent of course.

Phant0m,

Good luck with your current project! Whatever you do I just want to wish you the very best. My thoughts and prayers go out to you & your father. I know what its like to have cancer in the family and know how hard it can be at times. Try to stay strong. There is alot they can do today fortunetly when dealing with cancer.

Take care.

21. Phant0m

My dad was never a father figure; he has rarely ever been there for me, so if anything should happen I’ll not cry tears as most wouldn’t for strangers. As for something can be done about dad’s cancer, dads situation there isn’t much they can do since he is old. Anyways the only thing I’ll be sorry about is what me and my mom will have to-go through after he kicks off. And thus is why I’m now focusing great deal towards my future, so busy little me.

Anyways I still have the Phant0m Rule-set v5 and anyone who needs it they can send me PM over the board with your E-mail and I’ll E-mail you with it attached. Keep in mind it may be long periods before I have time to come on next.

22. storm119

storm119 Registered Member

Thanx to you Phant0m

I did received your email. :)

23. visitor

visitor Registered Member

We'd like to try Phant0m Rules-set v5, if someone wouldn't mind Emailing us a copy.

I'm guessing there's a complete set available, but specifically we're connected through a cable modem & trying to sort out issues with LNS before giving up & going with some other firewall.

thaNX

24. dukebluedevil

dukebluedevil Registered Member

I'd send you a copy Visitor of Phant0ms ruleset but unfortunetly I modified mine alot already and ended up saving the modified version over top the original ruleset so I don't think it would be much use to you now. Plus im on dial-up. :) Hopefuly someone will stop by today that has the ruleset for cable and can send you a copy.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2004
  25. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Contact me via the e-mail in my profile or IM an e-mail address and I will send them to you.

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.