anyone have opinions about kaspersky 7 firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by sach1000rt, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sach1000rt

sach1000rt Registered Member

well i noticed somewhere that firewall performance of kaspersky is very good.
    does anyone used or anyone have opinions about it?

2. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

same opinion with you :D very good

3. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Works well on my PC also MUCH faster than the firewall in v6... more than triple the speed sometimes :)
    Leaktest score is also improved.

4. henryg

henryg Registered Member

Is there a way to try Kaspersky's firewall ONLY without using their anti-virus? I would like to still use NOD32.

5. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

not sure... you may have to uninstall NOD32, install Kaspersky's firewall component ONLY and then install NOD32... I'm not sure about this though.
    why would you want to do such a thing?... you're paying for a suite and only using one component of it... pointless waist of money if you ask me... rather get a standalone firewall. Also some leak tests rely a on Kaspersky's PDM component to be installed as well

6. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

It used to be called Kaspersky anti-hacker and was available seperately, however these days it is integrated into KIS. You may be able to get an original version here:-

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Firewall/Kaspersky-AntiHacker.shtml

but that is likely to be dated. All the test results you see are of KIS which includes the KAV PDM, so the actual FW component is probably lame by comparison.

I do think Kaspersky fans go OTT about the abilities of the FW itself, and regularly snipe at (for example) ZAP, but for me ZAP is much to be preferred, indeed KIS seems to lack the equivalent of ZAP's 'Privacy' section - so you cannot block Active X, Sun Java, Java and .vbs scrips etc. For me, as an IE user, this makes it a no-no.

If you like the idea of a suite, then OK use KIS, but if you just want a FW to go with another AV you might be better looking elsewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.