Anyone have any experience with CloudFlare?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by treehouse786, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

https://www.cloudflare.com/

I have been using for a couple days but i would like to know if anyone else has used it for their website.

2. EboO

EboO Registered Member

We were using it and it's really good. Actually we don't use because it makes somes problems when you are working on css.

3. damoncloudflare

damoncloudflare Registered Member

Hi,

I actually work for CloudFlare and wanted to jump in here. There are only two things that could go wrong with CSS & I'll outline them below.

If you're making changes to the static content on your site, including changes to CSS, you need to go to Development Mode first (settings->CloudFlare settings->Development Mode->Toggle on). If you forget to do this, you can use the purge cache option on the same page as Development Mode.

Our Auto Minify feature does have the potential to break CSS, so you should turn this off in your settings' page (same page as the aforementioned items) if you see issues with CSS.

4. EboO

EboO Registered Member

Hi,

Many thanks for those precisions !

5. treehouse786

hi damon, whilst your here, can i ask why cloudflare is not compatible with conanical url's?

i have spent many hours trying to get canonical url's to work with cloudflare but according to this website they dont work, when i remove cloudflare from my website then it works.

any ideas?

is it possible to use 301 redirects via the DNS? and if so do search engines treat DNS 301's differently to the htaccess method?

oh and by the way the 301 redirect via the htaccess method never worked with cloudflare enabled

kind regards

tree

6. damoncloudflare

Hi,

We actually wouldn't be impacting your URLs at all (we don't do any rewrites of any sort of your URLs).

"i have spent many hours trying to get canonical url's to work with cloudflare but according to this website they dont work, when i remove cloudflare from my website then it works. "

Are you just basing this on a reporting tool? I can't validate what's happening with a third-party tool

We don't do DNS forwarding at this time & the traditional 301 redirect option is the way to go. Your hosting provider should be able to make this correction for you if it isn't working & it might look something like:

RewriteEngine On

'#' Rewrite added for CloudflareInstall - yourdomain.com

'#' Wednesday 25th of August 2010 04:59:42 AM

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^yourdomain.com$ [NC]

RewriteCond %{SERVER_PORT} ^80$

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www​.yourdomainname.com /$​1 [R=301,L]

7. treehouse786

many thanks for your input. you are right

i have finally discovered that it was godaddy's fault, after getting no where with their stupid generic tech support i did alot of research and realised that godaddy is prone to allowing unauthorised changes when we dont use their dns, nameservers, etc.

i shall be strongly recommending CloudFlare at work, brilliant work guys :thumb:

8. damoncloudflare

Much appreciated. Drop us a line if you have any questions. You know where to find me:)

9. EboO

EboO Registered Member

Hi,

I've seen with others admins and we've tried the "developpement mode" but it effective for just two hours and we need more. Our problem is that the webmaster isn't admin and can't activate it or not.
    Would it be possible to increase this time ? Or choose when to stop it ?

Many thanks.

10. damoncloudflare

Development Mode actually lasts for four hours. If you have other folks that need to activate it, however, you could use the CloudFlare API to turn it on.

11. EboO

EboO Registered Member

Our problem is due to fact that webmaster and admins aren't connected at the same time. I'm going to look a your link. Thanks.

12. treehouse786

hi damon, if your still here, please could you tell me if we need to have Google Analytics code added to the html files if we link cloudflare with GA? does CF automatically inject GA code to every html on loading?

13. treehouse786

for anyone who wanted to know, it seems that cloudflare injects the code so there is no need to add it to every web page in the source code

14. damoncloudflare

My apologies for the very late response (never received the email notification).

If you choose to activate CloudFlare's Google Analytics app, then we would add it to every page on your behalf.

15. treehouse786

Thank you for confirming

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.