anyone has tries bit defender standard

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sharon_m, Jul 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharon_m

sharon_m Guest

is it good on system resources and memory
  2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Jan 2, 2005
    The land of no identity :D
    BitDefender is very good at detection, and it caused a slight slowdown on my PC (but I tried the Pro edition with all the extra features). :)
  3. StU

StU Registered Member

May 1, 2005
    I use BitDefender Standard just for 2 years on two different systems under Windows XP.
    Even on the system with only 256 MB RAM and an AMD Athlon XP+ @ 2 GHz, it runs without any slowdowns. My other system has an AMD Athlon XP+ @ 2,8 GHz with 1024 MB RAM and the performance is great too. :D

When I look at the taskmanager-window I see about 30 MB RAM in use of the 5 processes that BitDefender runs, but for the performance it seems that it doesn't matter.

I think it depends a little on the system-configuration and maybe the chipset.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2005
  4. amb7247

amb7247 Guest

agree, does a great job at detection and removal.
  5. doug6949

doug6949 Registered Member

Nov 28, 2003
    I installed it on an older computer (W2K, 500Mhz, 128Mb) a few months back. Performance was definitely affected, but that is to be expected with such an old machine.

I was, however, impressed with the software. It's a good choice for newer equipment.
  6. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

May 24, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA
    I agree with the others' comments. BD-Standard has excellent detection, updates very often, and I suspect is not too "heavy" on most systems. {On my XP-SP2 system, the three processes "bdmcon.exe, bdnagent.exe, bdss.exe" are using a total of about 20-Megs RAM working-set at the moment. I have 1-Gig RAM on this box so that is no sweat at all.} BD-8 does cause noticeable slowdown when I enable the realtime monitor {RTM} so I keep it as a manual on-demand scanner as I do KAV 4.5. The RTM slowdown may just be a quirk for my system, I dunno. {NAV 2005 is my active RTM}. Hope that helps .. ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.