Anyone going to give the new PC Tools AV a spin?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Wordward, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I tried this AV with Sygate Firewall. Sygate barely loaded. Finally on reboot got it going then I thought I would try DSA with it. Snapshot wouldn't even boot, errors all over the place. Overwrote the Snapshot & gave it up. Then later I tried with Windows Server 2003 in a VM, believe it or not it loads fine & seems to work fine. Tried with another VM in XP Pro along with the PCT Firewall, at last report that worked even better. It seems to run a little better than the first time I tried it. As for effectiveness it found a trojan the first time I ran it. Then I loaded Kaspersky SOS along with it. Kaspersky found nothing so I guess this AV might work ok. I suspect it works just fine with the PC Tools firewall. However when I installed the AV first the PCT Firewall would not load its drivers. I would be careful using this product. BUT it is free & seems to work with Windows Server 2003. If you are going to use it with a firewall maybe you should install the Firewall first.

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Thanks for the info.

3. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Unless he sent a private message to a mod or something like that, his question was asked AGES ago.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

5. solcroft

I stand corrected.

Why not ask the PC Tools staff instead of the Novatix staff, though?

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Whether a question or comment is made somewhere else, it still should be posted here.

Personally, wilders is #1 and covers most of the topics, so I would hate to keep searching/registering on other forums for answers.

Why do that, when the answers are right here ;)

7. solcroft

That's your problem.

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

I dont have a problem thank you.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

that remark is really uncalled for and not fair. Even if a person posted in the forum for any vendor they have the right to also post here. The reality is you may get a better answer here at Wilders. Geez, the arrogance of some here.:ouch:

10. solcroft

... That certainly made me laugh.

trjam, this place is filled with misinformation like little other. Reading the forums is oftem more of a test of critical thinking ability to sift the bullshitting majority from the valuable information, rather than a process of any real learning. This place is entertaining, but if you're seriously trying to learn I sincerely suggest you try your luck elsewhere unless you're very good at cutting through crap.

But point taken anyway, even if I disagree with you.

11. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Learning is messy business wherever you attempt to do it, be it a public site or in the privacy of your home. When anyone tries to stretch their understanding of a topic, incorrect information is bound to appear. In time, the discussion is usually vetted to some reasonabley correct level. This happens in classrooms on a daily basis.

An important point to retain is that much of the discussion here and elsewhere is not based on purely factual elements. It's based on aesthetic perceptions (ease of use, convenience, alignment with desires), operational use in an unnormalized heterogeneous environment (it may be the fastest thing on the planet, but it slows my PC to a crawl...), emotional perception (that's risky behavior), and so on. Lots of times people try to squeeze these discussions into a factual context that is inappropriate.

As for the pure BS content..., being able to discriminate that from the pure factual content, being able to perform those minimal reality checks on information, and so on, is itself a learning experience for many. It's learning how to teach yourself an area, on your own, and without definitive expert guidance. That's a fairly valuable skill.

Blue

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I gave PC Tools AntiVirus a one-time spin to verify my e-life without scanners.
    After a full scan of 38 minuts, it told me, I was infected with one false positive :
    Jesterware DVD Ripper Professional (DVD-AVI converter)
    http://www.jesterware.co.uk/dvd_to_avi.htm
    which is infected with a "Packed Molebox - suspicious"
    I ran alot of scanners, but PCTAV is the first one that reported this software as a malware.

38 minuts :rolleyes: , I clean my system partition 19 times in 38 minuts.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Eric you are a good spammer!

14. dogma

dogma Registered Member

I'm going to give this a spin. Just installed it.

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

let us know how you get on ;)

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

That was a packer detection. It's quiet unusual for legit software to use Molebox packer for it's "protection"... It's simply begging to be detected as false positive...

17. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Is this good or bad?

18. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have no idea but i did not read good things about it here!

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Their VirusBuster engine is heavily modified. And it's not bad. But also not superb. It should be enough for most regular users that aren't high risk.

21. debls

debls Registered Member

I'm new to Wilders and no expert. That being said, I was running Norton Internet Security which was provided free by my ISP. I previously had very bad experiences with Norton thought this recent version was o.k.
    I have used Spyware Doctor 4.0 for over a year and found it to be great. I recently decided to try PCTIS and so far so good. It runs light on my PC. There have been a few glitches that I've read about in their forums but I have had any problems yet. Right now I am running PCTIS and TF on XP2.
    I think with the fine tuning now taking place this will evolve into a good product. I've also recently read the malware has become more of a threat than actual virus's. That being said, I chose PCTIS because of the Spyware detection at which the company has always excelled.
    That's my humble opinion.
    This is a fantastic website.

22. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Still, i wouldn't like to use it as a permenant av :doubt:

23. dogma

dogma Registered Member

Is there anything, specifically, you want to know. Don't have the technical knowledge (or time atm) to do a review.

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

just your general experience with it :)

the good, the bad, the 'could be improved' etc.

25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I would though. It's pretty good free AV thats not crippled like most of others. Sometimes pure functionality means more than raw detection rate. But i like avast! a bit more. Donno why, probably because i put lots of time and ideas in it and its tailored to my needs. ALWIL guys are like a family to me hehe :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.