Anyone familiar with classic Mac? I need help...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Gullible Jones, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My mom's ancient Macintosh is finally giving up the ghost, and I'm migrating her to a newer Windows machine. Problem is, she's a writer, and most of her writings are stored in WriteNow format as opposed to plaintext or RTF. For those unfamiliar, WriteNow uses some kind of weird binary format that is completely unreadable to OpenOffice, MS Word, etc.

What I need is some way to do batch conversions of WriteNow to RTF or plaintext on the Mac... Something using Applescript maybe? Is anyone here familiar with that?

(If not, are there any applications for Windows that can do batch conversions from WriteNow format? MacLinkPlus looks like it would work but it seems to be for OSX...)

2. estra

estra Registered Member

If that would be of any help (as I don't know about other possible solutions), there is webPDF.portal online service that can convert WriteNow (among many other document types) to PDF.

3. Thanks but that's NG... It needs to convert to a format that a word processor can edit. :doubt:

4. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

5. Nope, that needs OSX. My mom's using OS 8.6 and the other computers available are all Windows boxen. :'(

6. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Until you found a satisfactory solution, I have another option for you.

It's possible to run a MacOS emulator in Windows, it boots the latest MacOS (that you can download for free from the Apple website) and I bet you can install WriteNow and use it right away.
    I have played myself with such emulator and it works well, although I don't have expertise with Apple's.

Free 680x0 (68K) Macintosh Emulators
    Emulators.com Downloads Page

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.