Anyone else tried 2310?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ianhargreaves, Nov 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ianhargreaves

ianhargreaves Registered Member

I was sent a download link for 2310 as it specifically fixes a problem I was encoutering with pre/post backup commands.
    I was just wondering if anyone else had tried this version out - looks like it's not generally available, which makes me feel a tad uneasy. (i.e. why am I using a version not available to other users)
    Ian.

2. rbmorse

rbmorse Registered Member

It's called a field test. We'll change your name to "beta."

3. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Yup ... welcome to the unofficial, unpaid beta tester club. :)

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I guess in the big wide world of software development, most official beta testers are unpaid as well !! ;)

Regards

5. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

As any sensible user of any newly released software would be. Just make sure you have a backup before testing. Preferably test using a disk which is a cloned copy of your live disk.

I imagine that Acronis might want your feedback to confirm that the particular problem you are experiencing is resolved. It's also possible that this build might not be generally released and that they will wait to release a build which fixes a number of problems. Just feel blessed (if it works!)

6. MSprecher

MSprecher Registered Member

Hi everybody,

after many weeks of busy contact because of corrupted backup files (cut to 700MB portions) I was finally given the link to the above build 2310.

First I had to uninstall build 2302; Build 2310 did not install over 2302.

During verification there is still "Archive Created: Donnerstag 1. Jan. 1970 01:00:00" instead of the actual creation date.

For the first time TI 9 now works flawless on my ASUS P4PE-MB with two internal ATA und an external USB-harddisk.

The Rescue-CD-Version 2310 also works as it should have done before.

Under Windows XP Home SP2 it is important to use the standard USB-drivers from Microsoft instead of the drivers provided by Intel, I repeat: Do not use "Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD"-driver on this MB. Use the "Standard PCI-to-USB...."-drivers provided by Microsoft for Win XP Home SP2, otherwise I got false messages about corrupted files in the verification process.

Matthias Sprecher
    Hannover,Germany

7. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

I find your last paragraph interesting. With Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 installed for the Enhanced Host Controller both drivers appear to use the same files (there are five) and they all reference SP2. Is this then the naming convention rather than the files themself? I am using the English edition if that makes any difference.

8. MSprecher

Hello Bruce,

Naming convention in the for proper function with Acronis required English version would probably be:
    "Standard enhanced PCI-to-USB universal Hostcontroller"

The files required (in my German Version are:
    usbehci.sys Ver. 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2.rtm.040803-215:cool:
    usbhub.sys do.
    usbport.sys do.
    hccoin.dll do.
    usbui.dll do

Yours
    Matthias

9. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Thanks Matthias,

I wasn't very clear in making my previous comment. Hopefully this will help.

I'm using a 'similar' motherboard which is an ASUS P4B533. Prior to reading your posting my installed enhanced driver was the same as you are using:
    Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD
    Checking the file versions for this controller I found them to be as you indicated as in your posting and as follows:
    usbehci.sys Ver. 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2.rtm.040803-2158}
    usbhub.sys do.
    usbport.sys do.
    hccoin.dll do.
    usbui.dll do
    This suggests to me that installing the upgrade to SP2 caused the drivers to be updated.
    I then changed the driver to the optional:
    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    Checking each of the five files once again for version info I find that the versions are the same as the above displaying:
    usbehci.sys Ver. 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2.rtm.040803-2158}
    usbhub.sys do.
    usbport.sys do.
    hccoin.dll do.
    usbui.dll do

Therefore what I found interesting is the fact that you achieved different results switching between the two options when in fact the driver files appear to be identical. Since in both cases the files were updated with the SP2 upgrade and identical as best as I could determine, the only obvious difference appeared to be the 'name' of the driver.

I am not using TI9 as that version presented error messages when using the Rescue Media CD (all released builds including 2302 English). I found the lack of comments from Acronis Technical Support unacceptable and as a result returned to TI8, build 937. I also create images with Norton Ghost 2003 in parallel with TI8 to ensure the best chances of a recovery if necessary.

Thank you for your comments,
    Bruce Mahnke (yes the name is of German origin)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2005
  10. MSprecher

Hello Bruce,

you are right, the driver files are identical in both cases. But there has to be a difference in using them within Win XP. The problem with corrupt files during the verification process within the windows version of TI9 can easyly be reproduced on my P4PE-MB by installing the "Intel-Way" of using the driver files. An additional, very estonishing point is, that not only the external USB-HD but also the internal ATA(IDE)-harddives show corrupt files during the verification process.

Let me repeat again - with files produced within Windows by TI9 Build 2310 the are in fact NOT corrupt, they are fully funcional with the rescue-CD.

The Linux-Version of Acronis TI9 Build 2310 on my MB is now reliable.
    Hopefully the next version of TI9 will also work on your MB as it uses the same chipset as mine.

Yours
    Matthias

11. webdev

webdev Registered Member

Not to hijack the thread or anything - but does your build 2310 support burning an image directly to DVD yet?

I haven't bothered downloading any of the builds since I bought mine (build 2289). I have been using ver8 still until some of the more drastic bugs were fixed.

So any comments would be appreciated as to how "buggy" the latest ver9 build still is & whether it has the promised direct to DVD support yet or not?

12. MSprecher

Burning directly to DVD+R or even DVD+RW does not work for me. Neither within Windows nor from the Rescue-CD. The "poor-media-message" is shown instead of "poor media support" ;-)

Burning directly to CD-R or CD-RW does work, even with the option of formatting RW-Media containing data.

All in all I can say that for the first since TI 8 I can backup my system with confidence with TI9 Build 2310.

Yours
    Matthias

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that build 2310 of Acronis True Image 9.0 is some kind of an intervening version. It has some particular problems fixed and thus we give it only to those customers whose issues might be solved in this version.

Please also note that the ability to write images to DVD directly has not been implemented yet. This feature will be available in the future builds of Acronis True Image 9.0 but exact time frame for this is not decided yet.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

14. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Most also don't pay for the software they are beta testing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.