Anyone else noticed disappearing Windows Updates?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by qwerty12345, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qwerty12345

qwerty12345 Registered Member

I went to Windows Updates, but then changed my mind and didn't download anything. When I went back later, I noticed the download size was smaller and a cumulative security update for IE7 was missing (there may have been others, but that's the only one I noticed). There were 11 items. I went back later and there were now 10 items, so I downloaded and installed them all (before they disappeared :p).

I went back yesterday (the 4th) and there was a cumulative security update for IE7 dated the 4th, so I assume there was a problem with the update, they took it down, fixed the problem and put it back on the site (or maybe added something else).

What about the other update, is there any way to guarantee that I am seeing all applicable updates? It's not under hidden updates and there are no cancelled or failed updates that weren't downloaded in the group of 10.

I know very few people here will be using IE7 (and that update seems to have come back anyway), but has anyone else noticed any Windows Updates disappearing?

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

There was a problem with a recent Outlook non-security update. It may have been pulled.

3. qwerty12345

Hmm, I don't think I've ever seen Outlook updates, I'm not sure it's installed on this machine.

Also, I'm fairly sure it was a "High Priority" update.

4. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

All my optional updates have disappeared: some minor updates, windows live essentials, silverlight, about 50 language packs etc. I did change some settings in windows update before they disappeared, but they shouldn't do that, and even if I change it back and search again they are still gone. It also still states this:
    "You receive updates:
    For Windows and other products from Microsoft Update"

5. qwerty12345

Well, you're not missing any security updates (you hope), that's one thing, at least.

Out of curiosity, what was the option(s) you toggled?

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

It does still show one optional update though, .NET framework v4 Client Profile.

I'll guess I know in about 8 hours when MS releases the new security updates.
    I think they were Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates and Show me detailed notifications when new Microsoft software is available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.