Anyone Else Having Issues with OA's Latest Version?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Zom17, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

I have been running the Online Armor money version for four years now and it has served me well (XP Pro with SP3). Emsisoft bought it and released their latest version 4.51.431. Since then I have had slowed internet connection, slowed web page loading, etc.

Weekly I read a ton of minidump files. Prior to this version I had no issue using the latest verion of Windows Debugging Tool but now either I cannot fully open a file or it is painfully slow.

Yes, I did a number of diagnostic steps and the one thing it comes back to is OA.

Anyone else have issues? My license runs out in April and I am thinking of going for a free version of another firewall because hopefully I'll be building a whole new system; don't feel like spending the $ for my trusty but aging socket 939 system.

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Have you tried uninstalling it, rebooting twice (important) and then installing again? As you say these things started happening when you installed the latest version perhaps the install didn't go as it should have done.

Did you do a 'trust all' install?

3. zip

zip Registered Member

OA fw has been bugware since day one through today.

I don't know which is buggier, OA or PCTools fw.:rolleyes:

IMHO, the avast! fw in AIS, Windows 7 Firewall Control (includes Windows 7 fw)

and ZoneAlarm are the best firewalls.

(Alphabetical order)

4. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

I personally have never had issues with OA in the least until this update I mentioned. I hope since Emsisoft took over that they didn't decide to bloat it. As for ZoneAlarm, I read a ton of minidump files and you would be suprised the amount of times ZA is the cause of BSODs.

5. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Just when I thought I had decided on Online Armor my old computer died. I waited for 7 x 64 Online Armor firewall. When the new version finally came out It never worked, stopped Windows update form working, & then nuked VM Workstation. I just can't use it. I installed Comodo firewall. No problems. Outpost free also works fine.

6. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Problems with OA latest version ? Not a single tremble, I don`t have it and certainly don`t want it. I uninstalled OA months ago because it gave me nothing but trouble when using SBxie.

See ZIP in post No.3, he sums it up to perfection. A Maestro at work.

Try ZA Free, I have it and so far after 3-4 months it has served me great with no trouble. I love the animated tray icon, lets me know when traffic is about with it`s little fluttering.

John

7. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

ZA and AVG are the WORST and most popular security software out there, I recomend comodo or private firewall (if you not run limited user account).

8. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

In all the years I've run OA (free and premium) I've never had a single problem until a few months ago when suddenly oasrv.exe would have use excessive CPU for short periods of time.
    Since I couldn't find the culprit, I uninstalled it and successfully used Privatefirewall for a few months.

Since reinstalling OA a few weeks ago the issues have not returned.

Have never had a conflict with Sandboxie or any other security software...YMMV but for me I find the combination of OA with Sandboxie and AV of your choice is about as secure (and quiet) as one could want. (Privatefirewall is also an outstanding choice which I had good experiences with though it does have fewer features which I found important.)

9. blasev

blasev Registered Member

it work nicely with my W7 64bit and my vm..

If u had a trouble u can always email theis customer center. They have a good support team :thumb:

10. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Zonealarm one of the best? Really? I had used zonealarm when I was new to security software. Since then I've moved on and used just about every software firewall made. Zonealarm was always buggy, causing BSOD and sluggish. Unless thats changed within the last 2-3 years, I'm not sure.

11. zip

zip Registered Member

kjdemuth,

Of all the many years I've used ZA, of all the computers I've put ZA on, never a BSOD caused by ZA!

Never sluggish, if you want a sluggish fw try PCTools fw.

ZA definitely isn't buggy.

12. John Bull

AND that ZIP, is a ZAP !

13. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Well that's good for you. To make the statement that zonealarm is the best firewall is very shortsighted of you. I don't recall saying anything about PCtools. Thanks for adding your 1 cent objective.

14. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

Unusable firewall if you ask me.Huge resource hoger and many other issues.
    Far from perfect.

15. Motherroad

Motherroad Registered Member

Running great here on windows7X64. Very light and:thumb: effective!

16. zip

zip Registered Member

In post no.3 I said it is one of the best, not best.

Check my signature, you will see that I'm not using ZA.

I'm using the avast! fw on XP and W7fc on 7 64bit.

When my subscription to AIS is up I will return to ZA.

Attached Files:

17. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

Thanks for the lively replies. :)

I am going to do a reinstall as stapp and Blues7 suggest and take it from there. It just amazes me the spike in resources when trying to access web pages or connecting to the internet resulting in slow or frozen loads.

Again, I never had this trouble until this latest version. My previous version was when Mike and Tall Emu were still running the show.

18. Diazruanova

Diazruanova Registered Member

Try a thorough un-install procedure with Revo un-installer and get rid of every folder and file OA related before trying to re-install, that way you make sure to start really fresh again .. and don´t forget to re-boot twice after un-installing completely with Revo and before trying to re-install it again.

19. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Wouldn't recommend using Revo when uninstalling OA. It specifically says not to use 3rd party uninstallers as they can do 'bad things'

Quite a few security apps say to only use the own products uninstaller, as apps like revo can corrupt the uninstaller.

20. Diazruanova

Diazruanova Registered Member

The corresponding uninstallers of each program, are completely left alone by Revo and it only works, until the program´s own un-installer has finished it´s job and not before, thus making impossible to corrupt the program´s un-installer and with respect to OA, I have un-installed it in several occasions since at least three years ago with revo without any side-effect whatsoever, but it is only my opinion and some would say that I have been lucky :D

21. monkeybutt

monkeybutt Registered Member

I definitely had Issues with this so called program. I've tried everything on this forum and OA's for the Issues I had and all I got In return Is a big freaking mess . I'd say stay far, far away from this POS. Nothing but corrupted drivers all over Windows, what a first rate POS!!

AGAIN, STAY FAR.. FAR AWAY!

22. country2

country2 Registered Member

I was having issues with IE8 freezing and after I uninstalled OA and went to Comodo problem went away. This is on W7 64

23. John Bull

Just a point.
    Like you and Monkey below, I had OA for a while and liked it. Then I started to get "Not Responding" and frozen screens all over the place.

Dumped OA and installed ZA - all these problems disappeared, system worked perfect. Same advice - IF any problems occur DUMP IT or better still avoid it in the first place.

Golden rule is - any new program is invited into your personal chosen PC, Windows version and combinations of programs etc. If the new boy upsets the residents - show him the door.

John

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  24. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

isnt it about time the observers from Emsisoft interviened and commented on whats being done about this :shifty:

25. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

Excellent point. :thumb: If Mike and crew were still running the show you can bet he'd be in here asking away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.