Anyone else have their hotmail hacked recently?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

You know what? I'll be polite and say this: From now on, never comment my posts, and I won't comment yours.

If I start a thread, don't post there. If you start one, I won't post there.

Thankfully, you're not the only person around here. Or, I'd be damned to have no one to "talk to". They seem to think differently. I guess they're also a total waste of time.

2. Eice

Eice Registered Member

You wrote, and I quote: "No, I mean't you havent read what I wrote before. Microsoft stated, at their windowslivehelp page that their servers were hacked." This was in response to me saying that I couldn't find the relevant information in the article you posted.

You never said it was the only place you've seen it. That does nothing to change the fact that you initially claimed that the information wasn't in the article you provided, but was on the Windows Live Help website instead and you didn't care whether you could back it up, and later do a complete about turn and claim something else entirely.

In consideration, you're right and I stand corrected. My point about Hotmail still stands, though.

Sure. Interesting how it's always the people who "don't give a crap" who must absolutely go out of their way to let you know how much they supposedly "don't give a crap", isn't it?

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

It's ironic you state this. I began this thread saying that Chrome would not let me sign out of my hotmail (in reference to my account being tampered with). You then make a smart aleck statement of :
    "Uh, right. You mean to say that this is Chrome's fault, and there are other browsers that will let you sign out of Hotmail if you block 3rd-party cookies?" in your first post.

You follow that with another smart aleck response, again, in your first post with:

"If the Hotmail servers really got hacked, it'd be all over the news by now, because it's an extremely non-trivial feat. This sounds like either a bug on Hotmail's end, or - more likely - a PEBKAC problem."

Then you turn things around and claim that Chrome and FF similarly allow a person to effectively sign out of hotmail. That smart aleck statement was:
    "Exact same behavior with Chrome. Your point being?"

Followed by your fourth consecutive smart aleck response of:

"Given your Chrome "problems", looks like it's not the only thing you're imagining."

So you essentially changed your first position and the only consistent thing about your first posts was your smart aleck responses.

Now you have a video up of Google Chrome in incognito mode showing some behavior of signing out of hotmail. In effect you have made a video refuting your very first claim. Nice job Sherlock Holmes. I was never in incognito mode when I used Chrome, so your video is pointless anyway.

Is this some round about way of saying you give a crap and are just trying to help people? If so, please do not try to ever help me again. Seriously, you are not helping anyone with your demeaning and patronizing methods of behavior. Your "help" is overwhelmed by your coming off as nothing but a jerk. If you do not understand that then I am positive your social life is as uneventful and awkward as your posts in this thread.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  4. guest

guest Guest

m00nbl00d, why don't you stop attacking Eice with redundancy and fallacy, and just direct us to official Microsoft answer(s) regarding this matter on Microsoft sites/forums/etc. Links to third party news sites, even MAJOR ones, never truly convince if the new isn't backed up by some official source link.

acr1965, Eice only supposed another reason for your Hotmail account being hacked. To prove this supposition invalid, just contact Microsoft on the matter and show its official answer.

Those were my little suggestions to improve this discussion.

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

6. Eice

Eice Registered Member

It's ironic that the best you can do when shown to be in the wrong is to act all butt-hurt, embark on a rabid offensive, and label people as "smart alecks".

Give me a break. What difference does Incognito mode make, exactly? The reason I used Incognito mode was because I couldn't be bothered to sign out of my regular Hotmail account in non-Incognito mode. If you're really that desperate to be proven wrong AGAIN, feel free to let me know, and I'll give you another video showing the exact same behavior in non-Incognito mode.

I've known about the logout error page Hotmail throws up if you block 3rd-party cookies since a long time ago, whether in Chrome or in Firefox. What I didn't know (due to never bothering to check) was that clicking the Back button would, contrary to the error message, show that you had indeed logged out properly. And when I show you evidence - which in your delusions you fantasized about me "working like mad" to produce, thanks for the laugh by the way - that Chrome in fact behaves exactly like Firefox does, and only in your imagination is this a Chrome-specific issue, your best response is that I've just shown you "some behavior" and that I'm a smart aleck?

Man, I really wasn't kidding earlier when I said you were killing me. :argh:

7. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have noticed when using mouse gestures with a chrome/chromium browser that going "back" doesn't go back like it used to (in hotmail). I used to open an email, read it, then gesture to go back, and it would take me to the mail directory. Now when I do this, most of the time it takes me to the login screen. If I refresh or manually enter hotmail.com it takes me to the logged in mail page.

What is it that happens differently you guys are referring to? That hitting the back button might actually log you out of hotmail?

Sul.

8. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Please, point any of my posts where you seem me attacking any one.

Let's clarify the following:

* When I first saw that hotmail users (dozens) were having problems at the very same time, with the same error message, and saw a link to windowslivehelp.com, and entered that link I saw a message from Microsoft. If it was removed, only Microsoft sure knows why. They know their reasons. The fact Microsoft removed won't make me a liar, will it? No, at least, you'll give me the benefit of the doubt. That's what I'd do.

* I'll just refer one of the links I mentioned, regarding Microsoft confirming it to third-party technology sites

For you, this techonology news media may not be MAJOR, because it's not in your country, or because you don't know it, but then again, maybe any you know, are MINOR to me. So, it's all very subjective, isn't it?

This technology site I'm talking, has direct connections Eset and Kaspersky, for example. They (Eset and Kasperky) write, once a week, an article over there. I'm guessing not much of a MINOR site.

I know what I saw at the time, and what I've been reading.

On the other hand, the topic starter (acr1965) exposed a problem he/she was having:

Then, user Eice seemed like was treating user acr1965 as a liar, which then came knocking on my "step door".

User acr1965 sure knows what happened to him/her. I know what I saw and read.

Microsoft, them selves, according to this, claim it was a hacker:

So, not a bug, nor "Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair", like said by user Eice

This will be my last post. I know what I saw and what I read. My first post was meant for user acr1965. I let this user know what I knew, so that he/she could take the proper steps to solve the situation.

It's acr1965 decision whether to believe or not. And, in either case, to search for more for him/her self, to get more into it, if wishes so.

I just let him/her know that this wasn't only happening to him/her, and that Microsoft was into it.

Next time, I'll leave it be. Won't mention a damn thing to anyone. I guess that will make everyone happy.

9. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

All I know is, one of my daughters who never, never, ever uses hotmail but has an account from years back has had this account spamming.

10. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

You seriously have very few social skills. If you do not see the offensiveness of your first response post to this thread then there is no use explaining it to you. Maybe ask your parents to better train their next kid? And I seriously doubt you would make the same responses to me if we were face to face.

Hopefully the mods close this thread as your smart aleck responses have pretty much killed and hope of any meaningful discussion coming from this.

11. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Time will tell if this was in fact a major service hacking incident or something else. As noted above, the press will likely jump on it if it's a big enough (and public enough) incident. Until more facts are available, there's nothing more to be gained by the back and forth that's been going on here. If a News article sheads new light on this, then a new topic can be started.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.