Anybody using Viivo?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by newbino, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbino

newbino Registered Member

Have just chanced upon Viivo a new - and free - file encryption service for Dropbox.
    It's from PKWARE (of .zip fame) which bides well, even though it's not well documented yet.
    Can anybody comment in terms of his user experience?

2. Tadoussac

Tadoussac Registered Member

I can give you some feedback about Viivo. I recently installed it on both my Windows PC and also on my Android phone.

Here's how it works:

After installing Viivo on the PC and linking it with Dropbox, Viivo creates a special folder in the C:\User\***\ folder. When one puts a file in this folder, an encrypted copy is immediately uploaded to Dropbox. End result: 1 Un-encrypted version in the Viivo folder, and 1 encrypted version in the Dropbox folder (and the cloud).

At the same time, an encrypted version of the file is automatically sent to the Viivo app on my Android phone. When I log into Viivo on the phone, I click on the file, and it unencrypts on my phone. I haven't tested Android --> PC encryption / decryption yet, so I can't comment.

This is a useful tool for those who prefer to locally encrypt files before syncing to Dropbox. Honestly, it's too early for me to say "I love it", nor have I played with some other options like Cloudfogger and encfs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.