Anybody know what could interfere with ...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SamSpade, Jul 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

... browsing (using FF3, IE, Opera) under Online Armor's "Run Safer" or the MS DropMyRights??

This is something that has been a problem for me ever since I started *trying* to use RS in OA. When I put any of my browsers into RS, they suddenly cannot receive any data. They can connect to the website but cannot download enough to even fill up one page, no matter what site it is. I get the same exact problem w OA UNinstalled (only Windows fw) and DropMyRights activated on the browsers (??).

I'm stumped!! o_O o_O

Could it be an issue with services?? Anybody got a clue?!!

Sam Spade Win XP Pro SP 3

2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I had to LoL at that. what a name!

responce for said problem Drop OA and install something that does around the exact same thing see if you come up with the same problem that way you know if its really OA causing the problem.

3. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

You Have unistalled OA and only have Windows Firewall am I correct? Any different with out DropMyrights?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  4. SamSpade

That's right. I completely uninstalled OA, removed all traces via Revo Uninstaller and two other registry cleaners (backing up the registry first, of course ;) )

When I ran/installed DMR, and then short-cut Opera, FF, and IE through it, all three had trouble downloading web pages. Browsers reported they had made the proper connections to the web page servers, but then the browsers just sit and churned and churned. IE got some data finally, but *very* slowly and incomplete, too.

So, it's not an OA problem; it's something else on my machine, a setting in the registry or a service that I disabled or something else that is blocking/slowing drastically the data download.

Any ideaso_O

Sam Spade

5. Dark Shadow

How about restore from a last good configuration.Not sure if that will help but may be worth a try..If you use dial up or high speed have you contacted your provider to see if its at there end.Have you done any scans for malware/virus that can greatly Impact ones machine to a crawl.It could be many different things.Well these are some things to check If you have not already Done so.May be some experts here can give you some other tips or fixes.

6. SamSpade

This *only* happens when I put my browsers into DropMyRights or OA's Run Safer. As long as I don't do either my internet connection is fine.

As to checking for virus/malware, I did a complete scan last evening with the latest Kaspersky engine, and it came up with nothing.

This is an issue with how my browsers are downloading data, and why they stall when my admin rights are lowered.

SamSpade

7. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi Sam:

IMO your best chance of finding a solution here is to ask Stem directly for advice. I only say this as I'm familiar with your issue from the other forum.

While waiting you could do 3 things again IMHO of course:

1) Do a Hyjack this request over at http://forums.techguy.org making sure you post in the right forum there and get the guys with the "shield" to analyze what you provide, the steps are detailed and must be follwed exactly.

2) Send me via PM your list of started services in windows and I will compare them line by line to my own to see if anything is missing, or send the disabled list and I'll do the same. Not both one or the other please.

3) Since 1 and 2 are a lot of time and work for us all, backup all your user data and wipe your whole PC while rebuilding/ reinstalling windows, not that this isn't a lot of work as well.

I hate these 3 ideas as well, sorry. :'(

8. SamSpade

Think I'll hold off on the major surgery for the moment.

What's Stem's phone number... email addy/main forum??

Sam

|||

9. Escalader

Sam:

What does your ISP techi support say?

Not in a position to provide those things!

But you are in Stem's main forum and thread. !:D

10. SamSpade

My tech support says, "Laba diena, kas yra?"

Stem must be at the beach. I PM'd him yesterday; no answer. He hasn't posted on this board since June 25th. Come back, Stem!

|||

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  11. SamSpade

FLASH!!! BULLETIN!!! THIS JUST IN!!

Problem solved!!! :D :D :D :D

A tiny little app, called "Firetune v 1.1", is the apparent culprit in my download problem when running under reduced rights. Whenever using Online Armor's "Run Safer" mode, or using the "DropMyRights" program, my browsers, Firefox, Opera, and IE, would get stopped up worse than kitchen sink used to clean corn. A bare trickle, if that.

Well, all that is fixed, once I restored my original settings, saved (thankfully) by Firetune. So, for anyone else who is using it.... caveat emptor!

Now, how to find out what that little prog was tweaking exactly!!!

The mission never ends!!

Thanks to all who offered their suggestions, for taking your valuable time to concern yourselves with my little problems!! Thank you, one and all!!

SamSpade

|||

12. Escalader

~snip~

Sam:

Glad you found it!

Why did this Firetune v 1.1 exist on your PC and how for learnings sake did you find it?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2008
  13. Dark Shadow

Firetune is a tweaking tool for firefox like fasterfox just some what different features.Ps Sam If you had mentioned that you had firetune, I could have saved you some time.I tried with fox V3 and it was slow as molases, but any ways glad your problem is solved.cheers

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  14. SamSpade

Well, it was on my computer mainly because I wanted it there. ;)

I found out simply by remembering I had used it to tweak settings affecting my Ff browser. I thought if it changed settings for Ff, it probably changed settings globally, for my account in general, not just for Ff.

Now I find that it is MORE than just Firetune ... Google desktop seems to be interfering with my connection when I lower my rights (OA's Run Safer, or DMR). Never had a problem like this before, almost 2 full years, so ...

Sam

15. SamSpade

Thanks, djohn.

Why didn't you speak up about Firetune sooner!! That's why I posted this issue here in the first place! :)

Sam

16. Dark Shadow

Well If I could have seen In your pc with X-Ray vision :cool: I would have Said.You have not mentioned it in your list of what you had on board.Honest did not even come to mind.Just for future reference any time you have issues, any application or browser extension such as third party tweaks need to be considered.regards Dave

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  17. SamSpade

I hear you, Dave, and agree completely. In truth, Firetune should have been one of the first places I looked.

As it turns, anyway, it is *not* Firetune as much as one of the three processes that Google desktop runs ... this was the root cause of the problem. Glad I hung in there to find out. Live and learn.

Thanks for your input. It is valued.

Sam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.