Any way to see contents of just incr backup?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kronhead, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kronhead

kronhead Registered Member

Does anyone know if there is any way to see just what is in an incremental or differential backup? This is a backup of Data, not volumes, so I guess I am assuming it contains files that have changed - or does TI still backup based on sector changes?

Anyway, if you try to open an incr backup, TI normally shows you everything in the history chain - that is the full backup, and incr's prior to this one. I assumed it did this based on what was in the backup location - so I copied the incr backup to another drive and tried to open it - and it still showed all the files. Altho maybe I am just seeing the directory of the original drive, not the contents of the backup ...

The reason I want to do this is just to get some idea of why a backup is as big as it is.

Thanks
    Dan

2. Skipper

Skipper Registered Member

Hello Dan,

To view an Incremental Backup, I open my archive destination drive (I have an external hard drive) from My Computer, then right click and open the backup file. You may then need to open subsequent files to view their contents. It works for me.

Skipper

3. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Skipper, what program actually opens that incremental, True Image?

4. kronhead

But it seems to me I see ALL files - not just the ones that are fresh in that incremental backup. Do you see only the newly backed up files?

Dan

5. Skipper

Skipper Registered Member

Just checked it again.....Windows Explorer opened the file, and the contents of the Incremental showed the entire list of files, not just the ones that were changed. I understand what you're after; just the changed files. Sorry about that.......the ol' Skipper goofed. Maybe someone out there has the answer you question.

6. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Interesting ... I thought only True Image could open it's backup files whether Full or Incremental.

7. kronhead

I think TI implements some kind of explorer extension that lets explorer look at the contents of this file type. The same way it can look at the contents of a zip file.

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.