Any way to disable USB & cd drives?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jamit, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamit

jamit Guest

Hello,

I am interested in finding an easy way to disable or lock the USB ports on my computer along with the floppy drive and cd drives so they can't be used by anyone at bootup or at any time I don't want them to.

Does anyone know how I can easily do this and then easily reverse it whenever I like? A software program which could do this effectively would be ideal too. Much thanx.

2. euangc

euangc Registered Member

You could try going to my computer right click/manage/device manager, open sub menus plus sign (+) right click on required items/drives and select disable, then reverse it to enable them :D

3. jamit

jamit Guest

Thanx Euangc. That looks like it would be good but are you sure that will keep them disabled so they can't be used somehow before Windows loads? And know anyway to password protect the changes, or lock them, so no one can change them. I'm using Win xp home. Thanx again for your help. :)

4. squash

squash Registered Member

Do what was suggested, and check your computer's BIOS settings, so they are set to not boot from USB Flash Drive.

Someone can put Linux on the drive with NTFS support and read or even your drive :) (I think, it could happen). Also if you don't let anyone else apart from you use the Administrator, no one can enable the USB and floppy in device manager (as far as I know).

5. euangc

euangc Registered Member

Squash is right only peps with admin rights can enable them again ;)

6. hadi

hadi Guest

use twaekui to hide them

7. hadi

hadi Guest

8. squash

squash Registered Member

What hadi suggested should be used as complement to the Device manager solution, not replace it.

If I only use the TweakUI program, sure it will hide the drives in My Computer, but then I can go to the address bar in My Computer or Internet Explorer and type in the drive letter and I can use the drive again... :)

9. StevieO

StevieO Guest

I think this could be exactly what you're looking for, not free but if you need it !

DeviceLock

With DeviceLock you can:

Control which users or groups can access USB and FireWire ports, WiFi and Bluetooth adapters, CD-ROMs, floppy drives, other removable devices
    Control access to devices depending on the time of day and day of the week
    Create the white list of USB devices which allows you to authorize only specific devices that will not be locked regardless of any other settings
    Set devices in read-only mode
    Protect disks from accidental or intentional formatting
    Control it remotely using the centralized management console
    Deploy permissions and settings via Group Policy in an Active Directory domain
    Install and uninstall it automatically. http://www.protect-me.com/dl/

StevieO

10. hadi

hadi Guest

ahhh, am getting old,. forgot the address bar. thanks for pointing it out. With suggestions above I find USB is still accessible by putting an image (even empty image will do) then the USB flash will open it self automatically, and from there you can access others

11. hadi

hadi Guest

withXP Pro you can try groupedit
    start>run
    type
    GPEDIT.MSC

12. diginsight

diginsight Security Expert

I have saved this message from a mailing list, although I have no experience with tool:

I found this reference to this tool:
    You need to contact Microsoft support to have them e-mail a link where you can download it. Although I don't know if this tool qualifies as 'easy' :D I suppose it's main purpose is to provide USB control in a corporate environment using Group Policies.

Last edited: May 25, 2005
  13. hadi

hadi Guest

Very intersting. didnt think so difficult
    here is another lockdrive
    http://www.protect-me.com/dl/faq.html#12

14. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi jamit
    I did a test for u. coz I have a HD with XP-SP2 for testing purpose only.
    download devicelock
    http://www.protect-me.com/dl/download.html
    unzip
    you see two setups
    setup & setup_gp the later for group policy "devicelock embeded"
    I used the later coz XP is PRO one
    now
    start>run
    type
    gpedit.msc
    group policy manager appears and you see "smartline Device Lock" in the left pane. click on it click ok to get rid of the nag screen
    now on the right pane right-click on say: floppy. choose "set parameters" and there you can set resitrictions on hours, days or weeks and more. very nice indeed
    If your XP is Home one. use "setup" not "setup_gp"
    hope this helps.

15. StevieO

StevieO Guest

16. aksv18

aksv18 Guest

any problems relating to DeviceLock softwareo_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.