Any way around the cellphone verification requirement for creating a gmail account?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by DesuMaiden, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

I tried to create a youtube account. Unfortunately it required a gmail account which requires cellphone verification. Even though I opted out of the cellphone verification checkbox (instead went for the Captcha Verification option), the second page of gmail account creation tried to force cell phone verification. How do I get around this privacy problem? To achieve even the most basic human rights requirements for anonymity, a cellphone verification brutally violates that.

tl;dr How do create a youtube account with cell phone verification even though Youtube forces that requirement upon me?

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Don't use it ;)

I'm starting to look, because I plan to put up some video tutorials, and mirimir won't be providing cellphone numbers to Google.

Here are two lists of alternatives:

-http://thenextweb.com/socialmedia/2012/02/20/5-video-sharing-alternatives-to-youtube/
    -http://www.the-top-tens.com/lists/best-alternatives-youtube.asp

3. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

Payphone.

4. mirimir

:)

But does Google ever want a followup confirmation?

Also, I'd expect Google to reject disposable cellphone and payphone numbers. It doesn't?

5. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

I know they take Tracfone numbers.
    Google will ring the number leave a code to type in to confirm.
    Are there still payphones around?

6. mirimir

:)

Is it voice or text message?

Payphone hunting is a sport in some places ;)

7. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

Unless I can remotely access a payphone from half-way across the world, then that's no use to me and still completely deanonymouzes me.

8. popcorn

popcorn Registered Member

9. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Google uses some sort of algo to determine if some type of verification is needed. I have a Gmail address that is only ever accessed from a VPN (never use it, just did to to see if I could) that didn't require verification. This was a month or two ago. After some research on line, IIRC, a super unique *real* name should get you in, Something like marceautamagotchiATgmail.com :D

Trial and error, and don't use Tor.

You can Google (LOL) GMail verification bypass and read up.

PD

Thanks for the go-text.me link...my next fun project is to get a Google Voice verification, anonymously :D

10. popcorn

popcorn Registered Member

lol gotta love the irony :D

11. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

Actually I've created a second Gmail account just 10min ago. No phone verification at all..I simply unchecked this option and went straight to Chaptcha.
    For the email, I put a yopmail disposable email.
    That was the end of it, no trouble at all.

I created this account while connected via VPN from Switzerland, I am wondering if this telephone verification might be mandatory when you sign up from US...
    Eventually, try to sign up using a proxy in EU and see if it's a workaround.

12. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

They are very random with this kind of things. I remember creating an account and they were requiring a phone number without any skip problem. Few days after, there was a skip button.
    Also, this account was immediately blocked when I logged in from my phone, via wireless, with the same IP I created the account.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  13. dogbite

Another option would be that someone elsewhere located creates the account for you and then you simply change psw afterwards.
    Eventually PM me.

14. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

I thought about this ages ago. Unfortunately, the dog I met on the internet would probably commit crimes with the account I set up for him :D

PD

15. mirimir

I've seen similar proposals for safe deposit boxes ;)

If challenged, you "discover" that you've lost the keys, and admit that you stupidly had the bank address and box number written on the little envelope.

But they need to be walk-in boxes in large urban banks.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  16. dogbite

Cave Canem.

17. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

Well websites do exist, I myself have used (http://voicemail.k7.net/) in the past for youtube accounts, you will just need a throw away email and specify Google to send you a sound verification instead of an SMS. The sound clip will appear in a temporary inbox on that website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.