any tips tricks

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by maddawgz, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Hi ive been using this for yr now...... i normally just make 1 snapshot for ER !
    leave it at that should i back that up if so howo_O or is it ok on my pc... safe enuff, anything u do thats a bonus tx MD

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

When you say 1 snapshot, I assume you mean you make a secondary snapshot of the primary snapshot, right? :) If so, I would also make an archive on another external HD in case.

3. USAAlone

USAAlone Registered Member

Use export to backup the snapshots to a external hard drive. Select the snapshot then export from tools menu. To restore use import.

USAAlone

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

The absolute minimum is 2 bootable snapshots
    1. Primary Snapshot as work snapshot.
    2. Secondary Snapshot as rollback snapshot or refuge snapshot.
    Working with only one snapshot is as good as working without FDISR, because that kills the main function of FDISR = Immediate System Recovery.

How are you going to restore your primary snapshot, if something serious happens with your primary snapshot. For instance you can't boot in your primary snapshot anymore, because a new installed software corrupted your primary snapshot.
    Your system is completely down, you can't even use your archive to fix it, because you don't have a secondary snapshot.
    The only way out for you is restoring an IMAGE with your Image Backup software, if you have one.

If you have only ONE snapshot, you are using FDISR the wrong way, but we can teach you how to use it right. :)

5. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

i think i was using it wrong way! i had my primary and just a secondary one done how much room does it need to export the same as the snapshot size? i dont have secondary External HD? what about DVD ?

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

First you have to give me some numbers.
    How many internal harddisks do you have and the maximum volume + used space. I assume ONE.
    How many external harddisks do you have ann the maximum volume + used space. I assume ONE.

You need minimum two snapshots on partition [C:] :
    1. The volume of your primary snapshot = volume of your harddisk, before you started using FDISR.
    This volume can be reduced, if you anchor the folders that contain your personal data.

2. The volume of your secondary snapshot depends :
    a. If you use the secondary snapshot as a rollback snapshot, the volume of your secondary snapshot
    is about the same as your primary snapshot.
    b. If you use the secondary snapshot as a pure refuge snapshot, the volume of your secondary snapshot
    is defined by YOU. In this case you will need a archive of your primary snapshot as rollback snapshot.
    Archives are usually stored on an external harddisk or on another partition, than [C:]
    Usually you have at least one archive of each snapshot.

So two snapshots and two archives.
    All the other snapshots is a matter of personal choice and usage.

I could be wrong, but when I read between the lines of your posts, I get the impression, that you have a space problem on your internal and external harddisk.
    FDISR requires ALOT OF SPACE and that is caused by the nature of FDISR.

Your external harddisk needs also extra space to store the IMAGES of your internal harddisk.

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Erik Albert explains with FD a way to recover from mishaps and he is very enlightening at that but i like to add that to shell it all, its also obvious to look for a reliable imaging software in case FD failed on you[its very rare but it can happen]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.