Any Systemworks alternative?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Huwge, Dec 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Ive binned NAV and am in the process of getting a new PC. I liked all the utilities that came with Systemworks and am wondering if there is an alternative Suite of tools (freeware and paid versions). If not which separate programs are recommended?

Thanks in advance :D

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

What parts did you use? Or did you use all of them?

4. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Not after security programs. I have that covered. Im looking for defrag, HD integrity check,optimization, registry check, Program Integrity Scan etc etc. I have Regseeker and CCleaner but is there an all in one Suite like Systemworks?

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Registered Member

You can run some off the utilities from disk, windoctor and diskdoctor.

Used to use systemworks and still use windoctor only I just run it from disk, that way you dont need to install it and get none off the resource problems that come from using norton.

6. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

system suite is doing a good job, if you don't like that av and fw dep, you can try fix it utilities , both from VCOM I believe.

cheers

7. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

I took a look at System Suite and other "packages". They all seem to get bad reviews. Maybe someone can suggest standalone products for Disk Defrag etc and any other "Fix It" type utilities that can come to the rescue :p

8. dog

dog Guest

9. richrf

richrf Registered Member

For anti-virus I have found that KAV 4.5 to be superior ot Norton AV. For registry cleaning I have found Regseeker to be far superior to Systemworks. In fact, Systemworks was causing most of the problems with my registry. Easy clean does a good job of getting rid of old files, but the Windows accessories are adequate for my needs.

Rich

10. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I concur with the last post.

Defrag...try Diskeeper or Perfectdisc (much better than SW).

HD check...use WXP's built-in checker. Very efficient with W2K/WXP. It will auto load during reboot and fix your HD if necessary.

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Something else you might want to check out is RegRun (http://www.regrun.com), not only does it add a good layer of security, it will help to maintain the integrity of the system. It has some nice extras like registry compactor and such. Set up file protection and antivirus coordinator and it will do integrity checks on a handful of system files and your antivirus, but you can also set other files to be checked.

A good tweaking program for speed is XP-Smoker (http://www.xp-smoker.com), it's very to-the-point, but has some nice extra tools that you won't find in other tweaking programs.

A good tweaking program for tweaking the Windows UI is FreshUI (http://www.freshdevices.com) it's free, you just have to look at the banner ads on their site while signing up for a free registration. I have not found any spam to come in on the email address I registered with them, so I consider them safe. No adware or anything either. If you still aren't comfortable giving them your email address then you can always use something like trashmail.net or spamgourmet.com.

I also agree that if you want a good defrag utility you're better off with Diskeeper or PerfectDisk, and the built-in Windows checkdisk is more than sufficient.

12. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies. I'm not familiar with any tools that come packaged with XP. I'm running 98SE at the moment. The new machine will have XP Pro. Any sites I can go to read up etc?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.