Any suggestions for a good registry cleaner and a disk+reg defragmenter?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Happy-Dude, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

SPRINTMAN you know what I just remembered? I downloaded a free version of Amust Registry Cleaner off of the "giveaway of the day" website back in March. I sent them a support ticket to requaest the key I got at the time, so what do you think the odds are of getting it? It would be nice as you have convinced me it's safe and a very good program. I'll keep you informed.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  2. SPRINTMAN

SPRINTMAN Registered Member

You won't be dissapointed. Run CCleaner clean and Issues first. Be warned first AMUST scan will scare you..s

3. duke1959

Ok SM, but you're sure it's "safe" to delete the safe entries right?

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

There is no such thing as TOTALLY safe when using a registry cleaner.

Registry cleaning adds VERY little zip to your computer. In other words, don't go on autopilot when flying a reg cleaner. Better safe than sorry.

By the way, backing up the registry is NOT an absolute fail-safe. Some reg changes can kill Windows ability to even boot up. If you want to be aggressive in reg cleaning, it's a good idea to image your HD (system disk) from time to time.

5. SPRINTMAN

AMUST does a full backup regularly. and when it finds a problem. My PC has never been reformatted or whatever since installed way back. It's a HP/Compaq d530 SFF forerunner to dc7100/7600/7700 SFF. I've loaded/unloaded more sw programs than I care to remember. I put it down to AMUST that it's as stable as a rock.

6. duke1959

I will add that although Amust customer service could not help me with finding a key for the Amust Registry Cleaner I downloaded for free from give away of the day back in March, they were very quick to respond with help and communication. Not a bad thing with a program of this nature.

7. SPRINTMAN

Support is slow but Dr. AMUST always get back to you. SAS appears to have the best support IMO.

8. jm0307

jm0307 Registered Member

I am not an expert. I have used TuneUp Utilities 2006 and 2007, as an all in one tool including a registry cleaner and defragmenter, and Registry Mechanic, a cleaner only, for more than two years. As a computer challenged individual, I found both to be safe and never had any problems.

Have these not been mentioned because they are inadequate compared to those mentioned? How do they compare?

Best wishes

9. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

I think TuneUp is the best registry cleaner in the business. Thorough, but not too thorough.

10. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Bizarre how this thread has continued to induce casual commentary fourteen post's beyond as, Bellgamin has sensibly pointed out "The originator of this post has said that he has already found answers to his questions & selected software accordingly." Where's it headed? You folk's posting after the fact want to discuss registry cleaner's and they're supposed usefulness? Please, go debate your view's, finding's, where they belong .... Mr.Albert's "safest registry cleaner" thread.

Steve

11. RootAccess

RootAccess Registered Member

I will be using PerfectDisk as my defragment software.

12. jm0307

jm0307 Registered Member

Hi GlobalForce,

In view of your suggestion that it would have been appropriate to stop posting in this thread after post 7, then why did you submit post 8?

Yet, your post was appropriate in my opinion as you reasonably pointed to the alternative of not using a registry cleaner in the first place.

My post was intended, in view of the outlining question, to address and receive feedback on other alternatives which had also not been mentioned. Far from being an expert in computer matters, I, for one, was wondering why certain products had not been mentioned, and if there were reasons for their not being mentioned, e.g. weak performance, lack of safety, or if those which had been mentioned are generally considered superior. Furthermore, in my opinion, as this is a forum intended for the exchange of opinion and advice, the outlining question can continue to be of interest to other users even if the original thread starter may have found satisfactory feedback. Are not subsequent posts appropriate provided they fall within the remit of the outlining question?

Best wishes

13. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Patiently awaiting your ~ wink ~ pm reply.

Steve

14. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Hmmm..how do you guys feel about RegVac ?

15. bombing

bombing Registered Member

16. ChicknDip

ChicknDip Registered Member

I would not recommend JkDefrag at this moment as the latest versions have become very buggy.

17. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I noticed quite a few updates recently and wondered what was up. Two version updates yesterday within 4 hourso_O

18. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

I think that's a tad unfair, please see
    http://www.kessels.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=508

We have three PCs in the house. The 2 Acers are fine but the Dell is proving a problem. I believe the Dell is a rare event but, importantly, that doesn't stop Jeroen trying to figure out the solution to make us all happy.

My view is try it. If there is a problem (rare event) then post the debug file on his forum http://www.kessels.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7 he will dive in to sort the problem.

For a freebie the support is fantastic.

Ian

19. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

20. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.