Any suggestions for a good registry cleaner and a disk+reg defragmenter?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Happy-Dude, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Happy-Dude

Happy-Dude Registered Member

Heya guys. Well, after staying up all night doing a system checkup and maintenance check (no malware found ), I'm deciding on some new applications. Some apps that I want are a full registry cleaner (thats efficient and doesn't mess up a bunch, to use along with EasyCleaner and CCLeaner), an anti-rootkit scanner (to use along with Cyberhawks built-in function), and perhaps a disk (and registry) defragmenter thats efficient.

So any suggestions guys ?

Well, Tech from Avast! forums recommended Wise Registry Cleaner to me on an ealier topic, Gizmo Richard's "46 Best Free Utilities" recommended Eusing Registry Cleaner as second to EasyCleaner (then RegSeeker next), along with Panda Anti-Rootkit and Blacklight Anti-Rootkit second to that. Any other recommendations ?

EDIT-
    I didn't know where to post this topic, but since registry cleaning and anti-rootkits are involved, I think "other anti-malware" should be where it is placed.

2. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

Registry Cleaners

Eusing is very good free one.
    Macecraft RegSupreme

Defragmenter

O&O Defrag Pro

CCLeaner's registry cleaner will mess up your computer if you don't know what your doing.

3. Happy-Dude

On more recommendations from sites, I found:

On Softpedia, they picked and sugessted Power Defragmenter, along with RootkitRevealer (which I've tried and I'm not experienced enough to use it efficiently), and RegSeeker.

Download.com had:
    good user ratings for Sophos Anti-Rootkit and AVG Anti-Rootkit,
    along with great ratings for Auslogics Disk Defrag, Free Registry Defrag, Auslogics Registry Defrag (though only user rated),
    and for registry cleaners, Abexo Free Registry Cleaner, Eusing Free Registry Cleaner (though user rated), Wise Registry Cleaner (again only user rated), Registry Cleaner - Scan Tool, TweakNow RegCleaner Standard (user rated), RegSeeker, and Registry Distiller.

So which should I pick ? Theres so much, and I wanna hear some opinions before I install.

4. poirot

poirot Registered Member

I'd say REG SUPREME (macecraft.com) ) by J.vuorio ,just a few quids,well worth the buy,never made an error,always behaved fine as regards the reg cleaner.
    Rootkit Unhooker (antirootkit.com) as an antirootkit,and NTREGOPT (snapfiles.com) to compact the registry.
    All three are well tested and work well.

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello.

I believe you posted on the right board. :)

jkdefrag - disk defragmenter, simple, fast and efficient

NTREGOPT - registry defragmenter, same as above. You'll find a registry backup app there, ERUNT.

A good registry cleaner is jv16 PowerTools, but it is pretty thorough, so I recommend reviewing changes before actual cleanup. I am not using it at the moment, but I have used many in the past and found jv16 to be the best available. It is not freeware, but you asked for a "full" cleaner. ;)

Cheers.

6. Happy-Dude

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I'm searching for freeware apps ... I'm kinda broke and I wouldn't spend any money on software I can get for free thats as resourceful as a commercial app.

7. Happy-Dude

Alright, I've decided on:

NTREGOPT: NT Registry Optimizer
    Auslogics Disk Defrag
    Eusing Free Registry Cleaner 1.5
    and as for anti-rootkit ... I haven't picked yet. Thats truly security and I need more recommendation and sugestions.

8. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hey Happy-Dude,

Do you really need that registry cleaner? Short of problematic entries .... resist the hype, stay happy.
    If on the other hand used as a search utility, fine. I see no reason not to have one.

Steve

9. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

i think JK defragger is well worth to look at,its sure wise to look at the Wise registry cleaner as recommended by Avast tech,thorough and very safe.

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

11. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

For antirootkit I like Ice Sword myself.

12. Seishin

Seishin Registered Member

13. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I've used two or three of each,
    AdvancedWindowsCare
    seems to be a pretty good reg cleaner, fairly gentle, like Ccleaner, does a few other things, to do with "optimization", too, and has a basic spyware scanner and Javacool-like immunizer.

I've also used Auslogics, and JKDefrag (links already provided above) and recommend either. I've read that JKDefrag does a better job.

14. atlantis

atlantis Registered Member

JKDefrag+PageDefrag =full defragmentation for free with very gooood effect..
    take a looke at this one of the best reviews of defragmentation utilities :
    http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/2007/05/great-defrag-shootout-viii-jkdefrag-v38.html

defragmentation registry for free with NTREGOPT
    registry cleaner - jv16 last freeware version http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/LFWV/jv16Powertools.html + reg seeker + WinASO Registry Optimizer (very good pemanent trial version,10 errors ).

15. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

The originator of this post has said that he has already found answers to his questions & selected software accordingly. See his post #7.

For posterity I recommend (together with others who have suggested the same)...

Free
    Reg Cleaner- Eusing
    Reg Compacter/Defrag- NTREGOPT*
    Disk Defrag- JKDefrag**

*If you are using Ace Utilities, then you are entitled to a free copy of their Registry Defragmenter & Compactor (RD&C). In such a case, I recommend RD&C program instead of NTREGOPT. RD&C is very thorough, and VERY safe to use.

**Of the free defraggers, JKDefrag offers several choices for optimization. Auslogic & others do not. The command line optimization setting I use for JK is shown below. This command will analyze and sort files by last access (newest first)...

JkDefragCmd -a 9 c:

16. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Although already solved... my choices are:

IMO, Registry cleaners can be the source of problems. I try my very best to stay clear of them. But, if I have to use one, it's the very conservative TweakNow RegCleaner Standard (free.) Most others I have looked at are, IMO, much too agressive with their cleaning.

Registry defrag? Again, IMO there is little to gain but NTREGOPT seems to work well enough and it has a lengthy, safe track record.

Free file defragging? IMO, only one to choose. JkDefrag. If the command line interface bothers you, try using Emiel Wieldraaijer's GUI (the latest GUI now includes a link to Sysinternals PageDefrag too.)

TweakNow RegCleaner Standard http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleaner.html
    NTREGOPT http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
    JkDefrag http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/
    JkDefragGUI http://www.emro.nl/freeware/

:)

17. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Used the Jk Defrag and it worked very well. I have also been checking out the Wise Registry Cleaner and Disk Cleaner. I don't see a whole lot of problems in the Wise Forums and would like to use both softwares. Some more input on these two programs would be greatly appreciated.

18. SPRINTMAN

SPRINTMAN Registered Member

There's only one reg cleaner that actually works, AMUST Registry Cleaner 3.5. Run every reg cleaner you can think of then AMUST. First run will scare you. Includes reg defragger as well.

19. duke1959

Thanks SPRINTMAN. Are you also saying it's safe to use and there shouldn't be any problems? I use CCleaner and a old version of RegSeeker without problems, but I did have a small problem with Eusing one time.

20. Happy-Dude

Thanks Tech. Now that I've seen more recommendations from both Avast! forums and Wilders Security Forums, I've changed my decisisons:

I'll keep
    NTREGOPT: Registry Optimizer

And I'll change:
    Defragmenter: JKDefrag (http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/) + JkDefragGUI (http://www.emro.nl/freeware/)
    Registry Cleaner: Wise Registry Cleaner [many recommendations, safe and etc. etc.)
    Anti-Rootkit: Panda Anti-Rootkit (turns out that Cyberhawk anti-rootkit was only in pro version, where I only used it for original download trial ... Oh well.)

Alright, I think its set, and thanks guys :) !!

21. SPRINTMAN

I work in ITC with 2,400 employees. We test everytrhing. I use AMUST every 2nd day or so. I also use CCleaner for cleanups. Even though I'm constantly adding/removing programs AMUST keeps the registry spot on. Using XP(SP2) and PC is very stable. I put that down purely to AMUST. The only real reg fixer the others just play around the edges. Again first time you run it you will probably get hundreds of entries, I think mine had like 540 odd and thats after using CCleaner Issues and several other reg cleaners. Took two passes to fix everything.

22. duke1959

SPRINTMAN. I have Wise Regisrty Cleaner installed and have gotten as much reassurance as I can in their forum that it's safe to use. However Amust Registry Cleaner really does sound like the safest registry cleaner to use. I actually had it installed sometime back, but was afraid to delete what all it found. I believe by now the 30 day trial would be up so I doubt I can use it again. Sooo. Do you know anything about Wise Registry Cleaner, and do you think it's as safe as Amust? I have used regseeker in the past but only deleted the green entries, and like a lot of people here have CCleaner on board.

23. SPRINTMAN

Sorry never heard of Wise Registry Cleaner. I had already purchased two reg cleaners before I heard about AMUST. To have no entries from those two and CCleaner ISSUES to 500+ with AMUST was a real shock. Research AMUST and you will see they do other stuff like sw to add to VMware.

24. duke1959

Thanks SM.

25. SPRINTMAN

Any time..s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.