Any Spooks here?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Checkout, Jun 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Spooks isn't meant to be derogatory, just used to keep the title brief.

What is it you people are looking for in forums like this? Ideas? To gauge the public mood? To spot individuals whose questions or remarks are suspicious or inciteful?

Just curious.

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Sorry, just a foreigner here. Don't know what you mean by the word spooks.
    As for the second part of your question: I just like to read everything [glow=red,2,300]you[/glow] write :D :p

Cheers,

Pieter

3. Checkout

A spook is someone who works in the Intelligence Community. It's slang.

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

And I am very curious why you made that posting....
    I do hope that I understand the reasons wrong, otherwise there is a real problem here....
    Someone wrote here not so long ago about blood boiling, well: mine is right now.
    One could read your posting as a direct attack on moderators.........

5. Checkout

Jan, you astonish me. How can you possibly see this as an attack? I am at a total loss to see why you would think that way.

As for why, well you surely realise that many people see governments and their agencies as oppressors and stealers of civil rights. Although it's highly unlikely that anyone working in the intelligence community would post a reply, there's nothing to lose by asking, and possibly a lot to gain to hearing a different point of view. From our side, it is quite one-sided - we're all singing the same song. Well, most of us.

So, Jan, please explain. In what possible way have you taken offence where none was intended?

6. Pieter_Arntz

Sorry about the pun then Checkout. Didn't realise your intentions were serious :oops:

Regards,

Pieter

7. Checkout

Sorry also - I didn't recognise the pun! :)

8. Pieter_Arntz

LOL :D In that case i won't explain

Regards,

Pieter

9. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Checkout,

Thanks for your answer.
    It's now clear to me that I did read "To spot individuals whose questions or remarks are suspicious or inciteful?" completely the wrong way.
    I was reading it in a way that a mod should not jump in in case things were going in the wrong way on the board in some way or another.
    Well, it's clear that I was making a mistake for which I guess I have to apologize: sorry!
    Time for me to take a long break.......

10. root

root Registered Member

Checkout, as a matter of fact I use to was a "spook". I spent 6 years in the Navy with a clearance so high, if you found out what my clearance level was alone, I had to kill you. :D
    What I'm looking for here? Internet security is a hobby of mine. I guess I've been into security for a long time. I got interested in the Navy when I got involved in ECM and counter ECM and counter-counter ECM. That's what internet security is you know. Somebody comes up with an exploit, the other side comes up with a defense, the bad guys come up with something to get around the defense, the good guys come up with something to counter the work around. And it goes on and on.
    Some time back, it became obvious to me there were a lot of people surfing the net that didn't have a clue. Good people, with information on their boxes that other people should not have access to. I have concern for the elderly and the young as they are so easily exploited, so I try to help educate them when and where I can.
    I come to this forum to learn more than to teach. I go to other places to teach more than to learn.
    Am I my brothers keeper? Is it my business to try to help, even when it is not solicited? I don't know honestly. I try to be helpful while being discreet, and try to keep a little humility in mind.
    I also like to meet and make friends with people from all over the globe. That is really cool.

Jan, :) Hi. Some times a break helps immensly. I have to do it myself from time to time. Forums like this are an imperfect form of communication and we miss facial expressions and body language. It is easy to mis take what is being said sometimes. I think we all do it.

11. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

root,

you just earned an "aplaud" +" :D

regards,

paul

12. Checkout

Jan, stop apologising! It's just a misunderstanding, and we sorted it very quickly. It's happened before and I'm sure it'll happen again, not just between me and you, but plenty of other people here too. As Root pointed out, and I've seen over the last three decades, the written word is so easily misinterpreted. In any case, you're too good to go absent. Just go to Paul's refrigerator and grab a beer. You'll find John Little there, so you'll be in good company! :)

Oh, and continue to question things like this - if I fail to express myself clearly, then I'm the one at fault, and you'll help to make sure others don't take offense too. For that, I thank you.

13. Checkout

You remind me of a line in one of my stories, where a character says to his boss, "I could tell you but you'd have to kill me." :)

I applaud your motives. In fact, I'll applaud you!
    I think it's fair to say, though, that the current climate is a wee bit different from your experiences - or so I think based on the unprecedented measures taken in the name of 9/11. That's really what I'm trying to get a feel for.

14. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

;) Drat! I was initially hoping that you had evidence that this Forum was Haunted or something! I do home security arrangements and the subject has come up a couple of times. The world is lot weirder than you think you know! (In those cases I remedied my clients difficulties to their satisfaction. I know security on both sides of the fence.)

On with the real point of this discussion.

Checkout directed his question towards people who are "spooks" aka spies. (Do you really expect them to answer? Are you suspicious of the BB Membership, the BB Guests? Or, are you just curious?)

To quote Checkout's initial posting:

(I added the bold marks.)

I do not know if I should answer since the question is not directed towards me! I will say that I am here to learn, grow, and have good relationships with people who are interested in much the same things as I am! This BB is an answer to a prayer (not religion, FanJ) I made last year. It was pure Serendipity that I found this place. I am very happy! Thank you all! :D

Now, I am curious! Is this just intelligent paranoia, or does Checkout have some valid suspicions? Could be, that he is realistically aware that the "spooks" are checking up on our activities and therefore he's saying, "We know you exist--and we don't give a d**m!" Interesting! ;)

15. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi PS,

Oh, that's no secret. Many boards are "being watched" - and this board is no exeption to the rule. Our logs reveal frequent lurking from the CIA, FBI, GOV. No big deal: we know it - and they know we know. Personally, I couldn't care less ;).

regards.

paul

16. Checkout

Let me finish this (hic) nourishing but thin and powerful soup, and I'll (hic) think of a suitable reply...

17. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Just make sure to give them a good read; they might learn something valuable from it ... at last.

18. jvmorris

jvmorris Registered Member

root,

Okay, okay, now I understand a lot more about your previous postings (some of which weren't well received, I note).

Checkout, Oh, we're all over the place! :D You'll never really know who's a white hat and who's a black hat. You'll never know who's being truthful and who's running a scam. (Actually, I'd worry a bit more about people who don't say anything, if I were you.) Act accordingly. Paul's pretty much addressed this issue in an earlier response; I have no reason to disagree with his assessment.

19. Checkout

It was reckless, devil-may-care, but fresh and innocent. And somewhat thought provoking. We may all now return to the quiet and sanctity of the Updates section, safe in the knowledge that little of consequence happened here.

...Or did it? :)

20. jvmorris

jvmorris Registered Member

checkout,

From an old Steve Canyon strip (I think it was on a Sunday during the Cuban Missile Crisis): "Sleep well tonight, your Air National Guard is on alert."

If that gives you a warm, fuzzy, so be it. And if it gives you nightmares, well, hey! Guy, you're the one who broached the issue! :D

21. Checkout

I will, and thanks.

Both. :)

22. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Dear Checkout and Root,

I appreciate your postings so much: thank you very much!!!
    Right now I'm sitting with that cold Grolsch beer (not from Paul's refrigerator <grin>): Cheers to you Checkout, Root, John, Paul and all you other dear members!!!

Checkout and Root, I'm going to send you an IM.

Thanks again!!!
    Jan.

23. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi all

i know im probabley a bit late here but it sounds like an intresting topic so i cant resist havin my 2 cents

root i applorde you and you efforts i to am here to learn and meet like minded people and to help out when i can even if i am a rookie

" Oh, that's no secret. Many boards are "being watched" - and this board is no exeption to the rule. Our logs reveal frequent lurking from the CIA, FBI, GOV. No big deal: we know it - and they know we know. "

knowin that its got to make ya wonder what eles the powers that be are monitering

take email for example its a well known fact that the goverment computers read everyone email lookin of any one of milions of key words like bomb and if found then that mail is red flaged for ferther investigation though the goverment wouldnt admit to it and this is in the 1980s imagin what thay can do now with technolagy advancing so quickley

paranoia mabe but its scary to think that your every move could be geting watched

24. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hi Bethrezen! You can encrypt your e-mail! (Check the laws in your own country/state.) Encryption algorithms are pretty efficient. It would be pretty difficult to read through that. When that was started most people did not use encryption. Made easy scanning. My point is that though the "secret" gov-tech has become more advanced so have the methods of defeating it! ;)

25. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi

encriping my email good idea in theary the only trouble is that i got no idea how to do it (help) o_O

not that it would do any good anyway coz thay probabley got the decripion key to every sort of encripion that i could download anyway though i guess it would be usefull to stop others reading my mail such at hackers etc :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.