Any recommendation for BETTER internet accelerator?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Perman, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I just d/l cFosSpeed, but yet to be installed. Any experience that can be shared? OR is there any other better app out there I may try? Thanks.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

truthfuly I have never seen an internet accelerator that worked. especially on dial up since the speed of dial up is set by the FCC at 53K and can't be improved on.

3. furballi

furballi Registered Member

No magic bullet for this problem. Some ISPs invented a scam where previously viewed data would be stored in your HDD. When you visit the same page again, then some of the data would be fetched from your HDD, instead of the ISP's connection.

There're another approach called modem bonding, where you can connect to the ISP with two modems. Unfortunately, you have to own the proper hardware, and pay 2x the price so you can have two ISP accounts. The speed improvement is about 30 to 40%.

AT&T DSL service is best, if available locally. About $13/month for 1.2 to 1.3M/sec speed.

I have neighbors who live on opposite sides of the street. They are good pals and they share the broadband connection via WAP encryption. A properly positioned directional external antenna can transmit/receive Wi Fi data up to a mile or more.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I use TCP Optimizer tho I don't know if it works much.

as for cFosSpeed, it not rele a internet accelerator, its a traffic shaper. For example, it can help when u use p2p and game online simultaneously. My ping doesnt seem as low as i like, but i keep cFosSpeed anyways.

5. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I used RealSpeed some time ago. Those "accelerators" can really increase speed a bit (not 300-500%), but the price can be lowered security, like MTU Discovery. You can simply increase speed (especially dialup users) in browser by blocking cookies & referrers (privacy issues), scripts (good for popups), flash (99% ADs anyway), external images (ADs as well) and etc.

Just for the record, I got better speed by setting up Win & blocking everything (512/128 kbps).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.