Any real world experiences with BOClean?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Wordward, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Just curious if anyone has seen BOClean in action. So much has been written about whether it is or isn't effective that I wonder if it is even needed anymore with all the other security programs available. Thanks.

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I've had it installed since Comodo made it available, and other than the daily updates I haven't had any action yet. That's a good thing. My AS and AV scans come up empty too so I guess I'm good. It's like car insurance. As soon as you drop part of your coverage something will happen, so I'm keeping BOClean right where it is.:D

3. clocks

clocks Registered Member

My experience is as follows:

1. read tons of fanboys rave about it
    2. pay good money for it
    3. a month later it becomes free, after comodo purchase
    4. start growing larger and larger, using more resources, with each update
    5. uninstalled it

My recommendation would be to run a good av program, and maybe something like threatfire, or HIPS.

4. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Wow. I would say that's two completely different replies. LOL.

5. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

It's stopped two trojans on my machine in about a years usage.

6. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Hey Joliet Jake. Was that two trojans that your AV didn't catch? And do you think it is worth keeping BOClean installed? Oh yeah. What else do you use? Thanks.

7. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

In the real world I haven't had a trojan or virus for ages, touch wood, but in my VM where I run things that I'm suspect of Boclean definitely works and catches things that my AV etc misses.

8. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Thank you strangequirk. I guess if BOClean AntiMalware can do what it is claiming on the website that it is capable of, then it may well be worth keeping. I feel at this point it may be better to use it than AVG AS for Real Tme protection.

9. strangequark

hi wordward
    interesting you mention AVG AS as I also have this, but probably wont be renewing my licence this time around, and it hasn't picked up any of the things Boclean has. My AV is Avast and between it and Boclean they seem to get everything.

10. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Hey I also have Avast Home on board and like it. I was thinking of using AVG again because of the test from Virus Info that I saw in the other malware forum here, but it's hard to give up Avast. I also have Comodo Pro 3.0 with Defense+ enabled running as well, and all is running smoothly. Do you use a firewall?

11. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Hey Word why are you so paranoid about protection. What do you do surf the internet all day long and download programs you dont know? All you need is a good av and a good firewall. Dump Avast and get NOD32 and stick with Comodo 3.0. No need for BOCLean or Threafire.

12. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

No Dieselman I'm not paranoid, but I am addicted to trying out different security software combinations and slightly obsessed when it comes to both that and reading and posting in this forum. However, I am getting more choosy about which ones I will try again, and that's why I ask so many questions about them.

13. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I hear that.
    Even though I am set as to what I use for my security set up, I too, cannot resist trying out some different combinations now and then.
    Hell, that's what I bought BootBack and EAZ-FIX for. LOL :D

14. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Hey danny9, I hear you too brother. But since I'm poor, I guess it's fortunate that I don't have the money to spend or I may well have purchased some of the many security programs I love so much. LOL.

15. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Just try them as I do. You don't have to buy them.
    There's only so many you can use. More does not mean better.
    However... there's always the chance you could find something that's better then what you already use.
    Dan

16. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Still use it on my Tower for two reasons. 1) It is one of very few real time security apps. that is 64 bit compatible. (XP 64) Not a concern for most people granted. 2) It has stopped a couple trojans upon attempted execution, loading to memory, as it is supposed to do, that my AV may or may not have missed if BC had not nailed it. The AV did however obviously miss it when down loaded. While the system load has increased slightly my tower has no noticeable slow downs\side affects.

17. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

A good friend of mine clicked on an email .exe and the Comodo BOclean popped up and prevented him from installing malware. He also was using the free AVG av but it did not do anything. Actually the email came from a third person who had McAfee but somehow his computer had became infected and was sending out mass emails with the embedded .exe.

18. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Saw BOClean in action just once quite a while back.
    Back when BOClean was part of PSC and owned by Kevin and Nancy,BOClean killed a trojan on my system. (don't remember the name)
    I did try Comodo's BOClean, I had a few FP's with the new version along with high cpu. Not just spikes but hanging and locking up to the point of having to shut down from the tower.
    Maybe i'll try it again someday. I Kinda miss it. BOClean that is, not the problems after Comodo took over. :D

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  19. strangequark

There definitely were problems when Comodo took over with the first version they released, 4.24, but 4.25 when released was back to the old PSC standard, and hasn't caused any problems on my boxes ........................ so far.

20. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

All is well so far with BOClean and Comodo 3.0. I have switched from Avast Home to AVG Pro. I have a license for it that someone gave me and it still has 9 months left before it expires so I thought what the heck may as well use it. Anyway I think BOClean and AVG go well together and both are running fine with Comodo Pro. Now if BOClean does what it says it does, I may have well finally found my perfect security combination. LOL.

21. ProSecurity

ProSecurity Registered Member

Don't say another word.

22. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Why? Whoops that was another word. LOL.

23. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

For those interested, I have used it several times on systems with multiple infections.... saved me a lot of manual labor. (Didn't have to do much as it cleared up most of the mess by itself) then, finished by hand... nice.

One caveat, if you have UVNC installed on your machine or someone's computer you remotely work on, it will kill it even if you try and put it in exception list... That is bad news if this is the only means of administration this user can get...

Caused me several days of nasty rebuilding remote sites and client winning over the phone... I Don't use it anymore unless I have a specific mission in mind!

24. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

So it does work and is not a waste of memory/start up time? I've never had it activate except when I tried doing a leaktest.

25. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Software such as these don't appear to work until the moment it actually ends up cleaning something... I cant vouch for it detecting everything but it did work for me on multiple instances where Trojans had killed the anti virus for example. Yet BOClean killed the Trojans. I have written more details of a few of these instances in these forums before... Also from my perspective, I actually usually install it on already infected systems, and not new builds and still, It did a wonderful job many times.

As for being a waste of time & Memory. It depends if you have some type of process manager installed a la Prevx or threatfire or a good AV. If you have none installed then it's a must.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.