Any practical experience with the range of wireless routers?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by HandsOff, Jun 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I notice that they usually claim to have a range of 300 feet depending on a variety of factors.

Well, I have had audio video transmitters that made that claim as well, and it was a miracle if you could attain a 50 foot range. in my application it would need to beam through 3 walls and go about 75 feet. Does that sound even remotely possible with a low cost wireless router?

-HandsOff

2. CarolinaMoonshine

CarolinaMoonshine Registered Member

I am also interested in the reply as I have a Netgear 54 mbps router. My computer sits, I would guess, 25 feet from the router and gets a good, strong signal. My problems come with my second computer. I have problems with the second computer freezing, and it was perhaps 50 to 60 feet away. We placed it side by side to the first computer, and still have problems with it freezing. Perhaps this has nothing to do with the wireless system and more with the ineptitude of the operator (myself). :D

At least I never claimed to know anything about computers...... ;)

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am running a linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router, the computer that is useing the wireless is approx. 139 feet from the router and it is going through four walls I just checked it and it is getting a 97% signal at 96% quality. I am sure that it would it would work quite a bit farther. The only problem I have had is a 2.4 gig cordless phone was putting a little static in the routers signal . All I had to do to correct this was to change the channel the phone was useing.

4. HandsOff

You know, since posting this I have been under the house with a cable splitter and coring, trimming and crimping tools so that I would have cable in the room where the router is to reside. I connected it to a cable modem and connected that to the computer via rj45 (ethernet) cable. The result was amazing.

Having successfully run the cable, i have decided I am now ready to run 75 feet of ethernet cable to the other computer. I have to admit...it's kind of fun crawling around under the house drilling holes and running cable!

So now i just have to buy some cable, connectors, and figure out how to put them together...

-HandsOff

5. wawadave

wawadave Registered Member

there some good how to,s on makeing cat 5 cables i found doing google.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Too many critters live under houses in this part of the country. I can state that without any doubt, I will not crawl under ANY house down here! :D

7. HandsOff

I like reminding the critters that I'm the head honcho on this spread!

The next challange is to find where i can buy the cable cheap. I read an article where the author is railing agains computer stores who sell 6 or 10 foot cables for 10 bucks. He goes on to say he has seen premade 25 foot cables for 3 bucks. I'm guessing I will probably have to order it online if the computer stores are marking up cable that drastically!

-HandsOff

Last edited: Jun 15, 2004
  8. bigc73542

Some of the critters that get under houses out here in Texas and Oklahoma you don't want to try to tell who's boss under a house. ;)

9. bigc73542

You can find bulk cat 5 cable or premade lengthes here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.