Any Outlook 2007 users out there?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chattycathy, Jul 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chattycathy

chattycathy Registered Member

I am trying other email programs and I am currently using the trial version of Microsoft Outlook 2010. I am not very fond of the ribbon and from what I understand, if I purchase it, there is no choice. I have to use the ribbon. I know I can customize it but in my opinion, not enough. I would rather have the menus. I have read different opinions about Outlook 2007. Some say it has the ribbon and others say it doesn't. So which is it? Right now I have the option to purchase the 2007 version but if I'm still going to be stuck with the ribbon, why bother? I've tried Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird, etc. but still I haven't found one that I like. Maybe I'm too picky but if I'm going to pay for something, I want it to be "close" to what I want anyway. Thanks for your time.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

It has ribbon like 2010 and 2010 is better (in my opinion)

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I agree on both counts.

Pete

4. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

It appears that Outlook 2003 and Office 2003 are available on Amazon.

6. aladdin

That is really going back in time. If someone sends 2010 documents, then with Office 2003, one will need Word 2010 Reader, Excel 2010 Reader, Access 2010 Reader, Power Point 2010 Reader and so forth, for backward compatibility.

For example, Word 2003 used .doc format, where as Word 2010 uses .docx format.

Best regards,

KOR!

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Microsoft has released a compatibility pack that enables Office 2003 apps to view and modify the new 2007/2010 file formats.

8. aladdin

That's what I mean in my above post. Then add to that the compatitbility of new and improved fonts.

Best regards,

KOR!

9. aladdin

Why buy an obsolete 2003 Office, when one is only interest in classic menus?

Classic menus are for only $30 USD.

Kindest regards,

KOR!

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I agree if you need to buy then better to get the latest version and something like "Classic Menus", but the OP does have options. I was responding to your comment that it would be necessary to download "Readers" to view the new file formats. Fortunately that's no longer the case. I use Office 2003 and so far haven't experienced any limitations, but to be fair my work doesn't require that I use Office much.

11. aladdin

12. aladdin

I just installed the above. The download is about 359kb. It installs the classic menu as a tab to the ribbon, thus leaving the ribbon intact but still giving you the classic menu.

Best regards,

KOR!

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

That's a great option. Thanks for sharing. Too bad the plugin for Outlook isn't free too, but there has to be some way of supporting these things :cool:

14. chattycathy

chattycathy Registered Member

Thank you everyone for your response and especially for your suggestions! I will check all of them out! Right now, Outlook is working MUCH better than Windows Live Mail AND Thunderbird. I still lean more for the menu than the ribbon but I will give it a chance but while doing so, will also check your suggestions out. Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.