Any opinions of BitDefender free?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by justicekeeper, Nov 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

I used to use it as an on demand scanner when I had Nod32 installed. It was okay. As others have stated...it takes a long time to scan your hardrive. And theirs no resident protection.

It took over an hour to scan mine. After I uninstalled Nod and moved to kav. I don't use an on demand scanner anymore. Although their are downsides to bitdefender... I would use it again. It has great detection rates according to av-comparatives.

I wouldn't judge a scanner that is slow as bad. I would much rather have a slower scanner with good detection rates...than a fast scanner that has poor or below average detection rates.

2. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

I tested a free version that have no real-time scan. Itsn't an antivirus if have no real-time scan. But BitDefender (paid) is very good software. If you have another real-time scan antivirus BD free can be cool... but I like only one antivirus software WITH real-time scan... as Avast, Antivir...

3. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Hi just to ask you are you using the Pro version of BD or the free version. I use both NOD32 V2.0 and also Bitdefender 9 Professional Plus. I use NOD 32 on two PC's and BD on one. Personally to me they are both excellent AV progs and both do a very good job. I've never encountered a slow scan with NOD32 ar all and as a matter of fact its been excellent and fast. But I did find the free version of BD to be slow, infact slower than the paid full version like the one I'm using.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

The latest trend is for Av's to get lighter and faster as in the latest versions of Kaspersky and Norton according to forum members who have the latest non beta versions.

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I already said this, but I don´t understand how Bitdefender Free can be better than AntiVir if it hasn´t got realtime protection, that´s why I said "we can all agree that Antivir is better". ;)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  6. ~~~~

~~~~ Guest

Actually what you wrote is this

No mention of realtime protection, only mention of detection rate.
    And not everyone agrees Antivir is better in that area that bitdefender. In fact, I suspect it's closer to the other way around.

7. Bambo

Bambo Guest

Bitdefender free does install with 2 required services but if you only use commandline scanner they can be disabled. Then use commandline scanner in download managers or plugins like the one I use in Firefox, Download Statusbar. I have made an entry in Scheduler so Bitdefender updates itself once per day. I never notice it at all unless there is virus of course. Normal GUI a bit dumb though, not interesting.

Use "bdc.exe %1 /r /p /I" in download manager and perhaps also a batchfile which does not scan all files, some can be excluded.

Use "bdc.exe" "/update" in scheduler.

Command line scanner live in program files/common files/Softwin/Bitdefender Scan Server. All updated signatures etc. is in plugins folder.

So better than Antivir if you have use for (extra) free commandline scanner.

8. whatilike

whatilike Guest

What I like about BitDefender free, along with my main AV, is BF is added to your right click menu, so you can click on anything you just downloaded and do a real quick scan of that file to see if it's malware. No need to run 1 hour scans with BD free unless you want to.

9. Bambo

Bambo Guest

Forgot rightclick. Dont remember if it can be disabled in GUI but if not use ShellExView - in there I can see mine is disabled but I might have used BF program. Doesnt matter. Should be disabled cause program is not working properly with no services running.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.