any news on a full dr web suite?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

that includes firewall and everything? just curious the wife doesnt want tons of apps installed for security and i really would like a suite for her to use. something super light and quiet for her

2. risl

risl Registered Member

I have no idea, but why don't you install the av only or security space and then use windows firewall?

It's light, only one app, quiet and probably secure enough.

3. CookieCrumbler

CookieCrumbler Registered Member

Is Dr. Web even that well-known? Seems like it doesnt get the credit it deserves or something.

Well, actually I don't know the effectiveness of Dr. Web Security Space. I was considering it but I haven't found any reviews for it and it seems like people arent even really talking about it. So, is it any good? I know active viruses are removed very good with dr web but what about spyware?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  4. risl

risl Registered Member

It has been developed since 1992 and everyone familiar with av-industry knows what the company is about. The program is quite minimalistic and less intrusive, somewhat similar to F-prot.

It's strengths are lightness, stability, configurability, frequency of updates, pretty nice heuristics and it isn't bloated.

Weaknesses are that the GUI is somewhat outdated and on-demand scanning is not that fast. Some people have mentioned about false positives but I haven't had any problems.

They do cover adware/spyware/etc. and score usually around ~85-92% in tests. They do have some philosophy regarding these and have explained why they perform "badly" in tests. What I've understood is that they don't add garbage files to their databases at all or files that are unable to infect/cause damage or perform any malicious actions. I believe they have mentioned that when these test sets are gathered from honeypots and contain thousands of samples, there are lots of garbage that are not filtered by test authors.

But afterall, they do have overall positive reputation in my opinion. I would recommend it to a bit more experienced users who want something minimalistic and troublefree.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.