Any new better free alternative to Returnil Virtual System?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Valder, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valder

Valder Registered Member

It was updated a long time ago. Honestly, never was completely satisfied with that piece of software, It always said something like "out of memory/disk cache is full."

Just thought I ask if any better solutions come up recently.

2. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Toolwiz time feeze is a good option.

3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Toolwiz TimeFreeze is a very good free product. I am not using it now but on my W7 32bits computer it worked great. Never a problem. Something that I like a lot better in TTF than on Returnil is that TTF does not include an antivirus. The antivirus is the reason I never tried Returnil.

http://www.toolwiz.com/products/toolwiz-time-freeze/

Bo

4. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

bo elam
    I'm keeping a close eye on "AX64 Time Machine - hybrid imaging/snapshot software"....
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=339999

Isso advises [post 130] ...
    -cheers,
    feandur

5. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I am also following that one, wish they would add support for a standard user account when they release their final version.

6. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

You are promoting AX64 TM in the wrong thread. It is a backup program, not a light virtualizer like Returnil or TTF.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  7. javahole

javahole Registered Member

I'm using Toolwiz Time Freeze as we speak. At the moment they have no exceptions for things like antivirus updates etc, but they seem to be looking into that from what i've read.

I turned off my automated W7 defrag as advised and i'm well happy with the software.

Based in Singapore aswell, a country where you can get arrested for farting.

Where would the world be without us Brits no ?? (before we buggered off when the japs arrived) :ninja:

(ducks back down below the parapet)

8. The Red Moon

Toolwiz is ok for trying out new applications etc but from what ive read it is ineffective against some forms of malware especially rootkits.

9. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I'm a Singaporean and I'll take that as a joke. Thanks to you guys we're learning and using English. :p

10. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

- :D

- :shifty:

- :cool:

11. The Red Moon

With all due respect to my fellow englishmen someone needs to teach the english how to speak it......If you have been to england you would see what i mean lol...:D :D :D

12. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I agree with your decision to look elsewhere. I think the lack of Returnil updates is bizarre. I dropped Returnil cold when their employee was arrested for being the Kelihos botmaster. They made it sound like he was just a lower level employee (like Returnil is some huge company)....but I think it's VERY fair to point out what has NOT happened at Returnil since all that happened.

Follow the dots. No conspiracy - it just looks a little odd.

When was the last "real" Returnil update? Match that with the date of this occurrence:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...aster_s_former_employer_angered_at_revelation

Oh, I'm sure there's no connection (cough, cough)....just pointing out a couple of inconvenient facts.

13. Happens all the time, a lead malware researcher was busted in the latest carding sting by the FBI. *cough* F-SECURE*cough*

14. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Except most suspicions are that Andrey Sabelnikov actually was Returnil, not just some guy. The timeline is an inconvenient truth that can't be disputed. The details can be argued over, but there's a lot of circumstantial evidence versus only words. Valder (the OP in this thread) has every reason to feel unhappy and be looking elsewhere.

There's a big difference between the tiny Returnil and the former Data Fellows Corporation (now F-Secure). F-Secure is a public company that trades on the OMX and is a huge corporate enterprise. Returnil is a tiny little shop that - well - I'm not sure what they do except the Returnil Virtual System. It's last stable release was in late 2011, nothing but problems and no update since Andrey Sabelnikov "left the company" and was outed (accused) to be the Kelihos botmaster. Returnil made it sound like he was no big deal, even though Computerworld magazine grabbed screenshots of his LinkedIn account before it was scrubbed and he claimed to be the "lead research engineer" for Returnil from 2008- until Microsoft investigators made the announcement and turned things over to authorities. But, you guessed it, he was inflating his resume according to Returnil by only claiming to be the lead guy on the RVS and that he only worked on "side projects" for them. Well, since Returnil is basically Michael Wood and maybe somebody else to check the mail drop once a week, what did he do? To a lot of people it looks like he was the coder of Returnil.

Look at the timeline with all the frequent updates and new products up until the day Sabelnikov was named as the Kelihos botmaster (he's now obviously entered some kind of agreement with authorities for cooperation and friendly words). But Returnil? It's been nothing but chaos for that piece of software since he left. Could anybody possibly deny that? (Except for Mike Wood?)

As for an alternative, I think ToolWiz is worth a shot. I found it to be very stable and 99% effective against attacks. Deep Freeze is - by far - the best in its class and worth the money in my opinion. There are others that are very close. But free? Give ToolWiz a spin.

Good luck!

15. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Don't panic...please :D The latest versions of Shadow Defender was released after 3 years...we should give Returnil chance and time ;)

16. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The latest version of Returnil RVS (REL 14) was released on July 2011. It had many bugs, it was unusable for me. The previous, REL 13, was released on April 2011.

17. javahole

javahole Registered Member

;)

I havent been back to the UK for years to be honest. I like the sun.

Family back home think they might all suffer from Seasonal Affective disorder.:argh:

Just to keep on topic - still using Time Freeze and like it so much i started to think about ditching the AV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.