any new av tests floating around ..

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

just curious to see what they are looking like now.. i dont base it on these except for maybe a few better tests but i like to read them to see whats going on.. i have not seen any of late.. anyone know of any good ones out now... recent ones i mean?? thanks

2. Xenophobe

Xenophobe Registered Member

3. zfactor

thanks ill give it a read.. just being curious

4. zfactor

hmm interesting results there.. they say that avira had a much lower false pos rate than almost all of them including kaspersky.. normally that is not the case.. is avira getting that much better with fp's ... also they agreed to another test i saw recently where avg scored very very well much better than it has in the past... very nice for avg..

im just suprised kaspersky only got satisfactory for fp's where usually they do very well there.. hmmm... nice quick red though..

5. Xenophobe

Xenophobe Registered Member

Also, here's a thread about it.

6. zfactor

thank you ill read the thread..

7. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

The FPs table tells the whole story. Anyone can create a AV product and churn out defs every hour but have high FPs. It is much more difficult to have high detection and ZERO FPs at the same time. I see only one company on there that got a ++ for detection and a ++ for FPs. :)

8. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Yes and I reinstalled NIS 2008. It runs light and is effective. There are many Norton bashers here as you have said, that is because they prefer (apparently) boutique AVs. A company that can produce ++ for detection and ++ for FPs- is clearly doing something right regardless of the sentiment on this site.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Norton is a very good AV.

10. giorom

giorom Registered Member

11. zfactor

well i just happen to know italian.. lol.. ill check it out thanks

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

a few others are anti-malware.ru and antivirus.ru

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  13. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Uhm, if there has been a discussion about the goodness of AV-Comparatives in this forum, then this one should neither be here.

First: Anywhere is well explained HOW samples are choosed - they simply expose that they tested AVs against 46800 infected files but not how have they checked if files are really malware.

Second: Anywhere is written WHICH AVs settings have been used by testers. Who really know if settings used are the "same" for every antivirus software? (obviously I'm not talking about "same settings" in a strict way because every antivirus has its own configuration. I just don't know if settings used are comparable each one).

Third: They talk about viruses, trojan, worm and other kind of trash malware but they don't eplain what do they mean with this generic definition.

Fourth: As far as I know, at least from who I asked about it, no AV company gave their agreement to be in this test.

That's all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.