Any more **** ups planned?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Rapid Dr3am, Jul 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rapid Dr3am

Rapid Dr3am Registered Member

I'm sorry if this seems like a rant, but quite frankly it is.

You see I got told NOD32 is a great product it is, however the backend system is massively flawed.

Let's see I would say, I've been using ESS (I went SS as I wanted Anti-Spam, software firewalls are snakeoil), for about 2 months. In this time I have had issues with updates 3 times!

First of the Adobe definition bug, which tells me I have a virus? No wait, it's a false positive but my machines are slow and I get a post on this forum I find by accident to apologise? No email apology? Nothing!

Then it updates, and suddenly I'm screwed, I mean all my word documents where infected? How did that happen? Oh wait, another untested badly produced update to my definitions! Yes another false positive!

Thirdly, this overloaded update servers thing. I mean 11mb is not unreasonable for an update for people, not in the day and age of HFC (Hybrid fiber coax) networking. Yet, they didn't consider the implications of a user base hitting the server a few times a day. So now my computers don't update, unless I sit there hitting update repeatedly until eventually I get a connection and am allowed to update.

Simple fact is these things don't seem to be planned properly, ever from my limited experience of this system. I would hope to think I know a little about package distribution on a network. I build network based accounts software 5 days a week. I will admit it's hardly on the same scale, but if I made as many issues as you guys are then I'd certainly loose customers.

I must therefore ask, have you plans to make my use of your system any more difficult? If so how do I request a refund, on the grounds of incompetence?

2. WigglyTheGreat

WigglyTheGreat Registered Member

I am not trying to argue, but I have honestly not noticed any of the issues you have pointed out. I run ESS on a few machines and never knew anything about an adobe definition bug, or had all my word documents show infected, and I can't remember the last time ESS couldn't update. This is truly news to me. o_O I guess if I had these issues I would be singing a different tune.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It affected not all but some of the users , as stated by Marcos.

Because they fixed this 2.5 hours after the buggy definition was released , your computer could have been off or offline during this time

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

There was actually such an issue which has already been explained here at Wilders'. It was not a typical false positive; the Adobe files have a structure that was prone to cause a problem with detection. The files detected on one computer might not be detected on the others and vice-versa, depending on the system configuration. For this reason the update passed our pre-release tests and only a very small percentage of our users were affected as the problem didn't exhibit on each computer having these files. We figured out the cause quickly and released an update within an hour since receiving the first reports from users.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  5. Rapid Dr3am

So how much longer do I have to deal with this? I assume my subscription covers me for updates aswell as real time protection.

If I'm not getting these updates as a result of YOUR mistake, am I still to be financially penalised?

6. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Have you tried to manually update your system lately? A lot of those people having problems got it to update by manually pressing Update.

You aren't being penalized. Your software is still protecting your system as it was designed. It is just having a slowdown in getting the newest update. Once you get yours updated, you will see how large of an update it is indeed and why it was causing a hang-up on the servers.

7. Rapid Dr3am

Yes, if I repeatedly hit update it does go thru eventually.

Should I hit update repeatedly what 4 times a day? Say average 10 clicks to get an update so I must generate 40 manual clicks, at say 15 seconds each.
    So I should spend 10 minutes per day, forcing my anti virus to update as a result of failinng automatic updates?

Now carry this over to a corporate world, should I spend 10 minutes a day making my server update so I can push this to my client machines? You do the math, I'm going to another providor if this isn't sorted by monday.

8. Capp

Capp Registered Member

My question is, why would you need to manually try to update it 4+ times a day? If your current definitions are today's or even yesterdays defintions, why the urgency? Your system is still protected.
    They update issue is working itself out. A lot of people that had problems in the beginning are starting to go through.

If your definitions were a few months old and it wouldn't update, you might have a reason for concern, but having 1 day old defintions isn't a cause for panic. Up until recently, products like Symantec and McAfee only updated once a week, if that.

I personally don't think you should jump ship over this, its not that big a deal.

I work in a corporate environment too. I noticed some of my machines being a day or two behind in definitions as well, but I didn't worry about it. i checked again this morning and now they are up to date. The issue will be resoloved as fast as possible.

They could be like Microsoft or any number of large software companies that release patches that cripple systems entirely, and then wait a few weeks to even release any information about it, much less a patch.

9. Rapid Dr3am

If they don't require X number of updates per day, why do they release them? If they only need updating once a week, why bother with daily?

Simple fact is malware is revised, packed and cloaked in many ways. By the time, you've finished reading this there will be another piece of malware out there that is not yet detected. If you are running a highly sensitive network, that you cannot afford to be compromised by such, then you must rely on your anti-virus as we all know you can't rely on the end user.

Hueristic scanners are no match for signature based, they have a better chance of picking up new malware but not as good as knowing it and stopping it dead.

If it was just this issue, then it wouldn't be so bad. It's the three in as long as I've used the product, which as I stated is hardly long.

I've come over from Kaspersky, McAfee, Symantec End Point, Outpost among others.

10. GAN

GAN Registered Member

I can understand that people affected by this problem found it annoying. I was affected as well, but didn't cause a big problem for me since i excluded the file and no harm done. After being a customer for some time i cannot say these kind of bugs happen often and sometimes software contains bugs....unfortunately these things happen. Eset released a fix shortly after this problem occurred. I'm not sure if you where expecting a personal letter with an apology from eset, but when did you receive such an apology from Microsoft or any other company after a buggy update?

I cannot say that i ever noticed such a problem and find the eset update server to be fast and far away from overloaded. Maybe it depend of your location and what update servers you use. I have seen some people complain because of problems with the client not updating while many others have no problem. Maybe this is a issue with the eset client and a conflict with something else installed since only some people seems to be affected.

11. Nodrog

Nodrog Registered Member

I don't mind a healthy debate but Capp; what definition do you have for the word "recently"?

McAfee I have used for years and they have always published what they call Extra DATS as and when required/appropriate. They switched to providing daily DAT updates since Feb 2005 (still with Extra DATS thrown in when required to cover outbreaks or something special).

Don't get me wrong here, McAfee is not necessarily the best thing since sliced bread, but the feature set of the curret Virusscan Enterprise 8.5 (8.7 in Beta), coupled with the hugely cumbersome EPO in an enterprise environment... well ESET is simply nowhere close!

Yes McAfee is a beast, equally slow to catch some of the recent virus, and still doesn't have a dll scanner for MIMESweeper; but if we are talking enterprise do a bit of reading and give it a little respect. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=68020 would be a start.

If you have any kind of an outbreak in your enterprise you NEED your updates absolutely NOW! no pratting about. AV will not catch everything (and we have had plenty of threads along that line, here and in other AV forums) but you need the tools to react when you do discover something and updates is one of them.

regards
    Gordon
    (3K clients and a WAN of 110+ sites)

12. rwt325

rwt325 Registered Member

I must be missing something here. Why update manually at all?. I have been using ESS on two computers since early Beta versions. Updates have always been on Automatic - I usually get a little transparent notice when I am doing something else that Ess database has been updated.

On rare occasions when I tried manual update I always got the answer that my computer was up to date.

13. GAN

GAN Registered Member

I'm sure everyone agree, but unless i'm wrong the problem described in this thread is that update is not working properly in general (automatic and manual).

14. mickhardy

mickhardy Registered Member

It would certainly be more proactive than this thread.

Then again, I once managed to waste an hour by typing a paragraph with my nose.

Do any of your dramas still exist? We also got bitten by all three issues but they're water under the bridge now. Move on. :)

15. WigglyTheGreat

WigglyTheGreat Registered Member

Darn it I always miss all the fun. :p I will say that I have experienced only a few issues over the years with Eset software and those issues were resolved in a timely manner once Eset was aware of them. These issues were nothing compared to the torturous years of other security software I used to use though I will not utter their names here lol. Over the long haul I am happy with Eset.

16. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

I had one problem with ESS that was finally fixed. Since then it has worked flawlessly on my computer. It automatically updates every time an update is available, sometimes five or six times a day. :thumb:

17. Rapid Dr3am

Still no automatic update fix? I just clicked 7 times to get it to update.

When is this getting fixed? No more, it's being worked on! I want a definite answer now! If you cannot provide me with a fix time, I will cancel my subscription. I don't see why I should pay for incompitance.

18. cinek

cinek Registered Member

it seems to be working fine now......

19. Rapid Dr3am

I'm still having update problems.

Seems to be taking ages, when I do click update.

20. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Currently only cracked versions should be having problems updating to the latest version. If you have a full commercial version installed and having update problems though, please confirm that you have the update server set to Choose automatically. If that's not the case, I'll PM you the url to my backup mirror. If the problem persists, we'll need to get a log from Wireshark and check it out.

21. Rapid Dr3am

I'm set to choose automatically.

Cracked versions? Am I now being accused of using pirated software?

22. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

If you read the whole post no.

23. Rapid Dr3am

I've just uninstalled, then reinstalled.

Let's see how this goes. If it still doesn't work, I think my patience has run a little too thin.

24. Rapid Dr3am

Spoke to soon, I'm now stuck on 3230 (20080701).

25. GAN

GAN Registered Member

No offence, but why don't you try to help eset to find a solution to your problem instead of posting everyday just to complain and say it's still not working?
    Marcos asked you to confirm that you have the update server set to Choose automatically and also said you could use wireshirk to send him a trace. If you do as requested i'm sure he might be able to help you out with this problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.