Any ideas?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MRSCT, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I thought I had the security problem fixed on my computer using XP pro SP2.
    I can log into my credit accounts but can't seem to log into ebay. My son can log in on the other computer but not this one.

Everything else has been alright, and if there are any other problems, I just haven't reached everything yet. :eek:

Any solutions would be appreciated.

MRSCT

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

do you possibly have ebay blocked on your firewall??

3. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

by chance are you using zonealarm?

4. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I don't know what zonealarm is and how do I find about a firewall? :doubt:

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Zonealarm is one of many firewalls you could have installed and active. Since you have XP SP2, you also have the native Windows Internet Connection Firewall (ICF). To find out what firewall, if any, is active, select Start>Control Panel>Security Center (this is new with SP2). A window will come up, similar to the one below. The descriptive information is toggled seen/hidden by clicking on the respective titles (Firewall, Automatic Updates, Virus Protection).

Blue

Attached Files:

• sc.png
      sc.png
      File size:
      52.1 KB
      Views:
  6. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I'm back pecking on the computer after a long rest. I never did figure out how to get ebay or paypal for my husband. He is asking about it again today. He can't get into his account. Any way to simply explain the answer to me. o_O

7. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi there MRSCT, :)

Haven't seen you around lately, hope all is well.

May I ask if you see the message..."The browser you're using is rejecting cookies" when attempting to sign in? Aside from setting's in Blue's post which are straightforward and shouldn't pose too much difficulty, you'll find instructions on the link I provided. It's important you don't get too far ahead of yourself so we can help you. Please try as Blue suggested and let us know what you find, OK.

GF

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

MRSCT,

I'm not sure it's a simple answer, and sometimes it's difficult to debug remotely. I did do a quick login to ebay just to remind myself how it behaved. You clearly have to have SSL enabled in your browser (for IE go to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced, page all the way down, and make sure checks appear in the boxes next to use SSL 2.0 and use SSL 3.0). If you're unable to communicate with ebay in a secure fashion, you won't be able to logon. That seems to be the problem. One thing I'd try, if you haven't already, is to download and install Firefox. You don't need to use it as your default browser, but see if that helps. At least with a default installation there will be no question that we have created some arcane combination of setting that yield this behavior in conjunction with everything else.

Also remember the issues you solved which revolved around Secure IE, that could also be a factor here.

Blue

9. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Thanks GF and Blue,
    I'll try to check into the questions asked of me and see if I can solve my hubby's problem. I've missed everyone.
    MRSCT :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.