Any idea what this is (anomaly on screen)?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by e36, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e36

e36 Registered Member

Any idea what this anomaly on the upper-right side of screen is caused by? It only apears on the About screen

Window XP Home SP2. Upgraded from 2.7 to 3.0. Only other security program is Windows Defender.

Attached Files:

2. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

did this show after restart OS
    IF yes uninstall EAV v3 and wait some time to uninstaller complete it's job and than restart OS and delete these folder and registry key
    C OR D:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESET
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET
    THEN TELL US IF PROBLEM STILL REMINE

3. e36

e36 Registered Member

Yes, the system has been restarted.

No offense but even though your complete remove/install makes sense, I'm not deleting items in the registry just because *someone* on the web said to do so.

I'm waiting for someone to possibly help determine the *exact cause*. If your recommendation fixes the problem, we'll never know what caused the problem in the first place.

Otherwise I'll just wait for the next build.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  4. e36

e36 Registered Member

I just de-installed (didn't delete any reg keys/folders) and re-installed with the same result.

5. Philippe_FR22

Philippe_FR22 Registered Member

Hello,

Screen anomalies are mostly due to drivers... I would advice you to update your video card driver !

Regards

Phil

6. e36

e36 Registered Member

Display adapter driver is MS Certified *and* up to date.

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I guess the theme you're using is the dulprit. Note the large icons in the caption.

8. e36

e36 Registered Member

What?

9. e36

e36 Registered Member

I'm not using any themes.

10. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

A little more information might be helpful in troubleshooting this problem.

In the Appearance tab of your Display Properties, what is the Font Size set to? Also, in the Advanced settings for Display Properties, what is the DPI Setting set to?

What brand and model of video card are you using, and what is your screen's display resolution and color depth set to?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

11. Philippe_FR22

Hey e36 !

1) A minimum courtesy would be appreciated ! Hello.... Thank you... Regards... Are kinds of words (even if there are optionnals) very usefull and, to my mind, should be mandatory to post in a forum !

2) If you expect people help, don't forget that the more details you will be able to give, the higher will be the probability to solve your problem !!!

Now it's up to U...

Regards

PS : sorry for if you find it's hard to read me, I'm not english !

12. e36

e36 Registered Member

Font size = Normal
    DPI=120 (Large Size)
    Video controller=Intel 82845G
    Display Resolution=1280x1024

13. NodboN

NodboN Registered Member

You certainly are - it's Windows XP style.

Yes sir - I second that.

14. bdmc

bdmc Registered Member

Have you tried setting the fonts DPI back to default?

It looks to me, like the about box has been stretched slightly because of the larger fonts. Which is why the graphic at the top, doesn't go all the way accross.

15. agoretsky

Hello,

It looks like there might be some sort of error possibly caused by either a problem with improper bitmap caching, improper RLE (bitmap) decompression, or perhaps some sort of resource allocation error in the driver itself.

Let's get more information about your operating environment to see if we can isolate the problem further:

On the Troubleshoot tab, in the Advanced settings for Display Properties, what are Hardware acceleration: and Enable Write Combining set to?

How much memory do you have allocated for your on-board Intel i82845G Graphics Controller? If you decrease the amount of memory, does the missing portion of the window change in size or location (or both)?

Are you using the 14.10.3PV drivers from Intel, or ones customized by your OEM? If the latter, can you tell me which OEM and driver version?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

16. e36

e36 Registered Member

[BTW These are all default settings]

Hardware acceleration=Full
    Enable Write Combining=checked
    How much memory...=64MB (fixed, can't change)
    Intel Driver MS Digitally signed=6.14.10.4342 (Dated 6/21/2005)

[Update]
    I just changed the DPI setting from Large (120) to Normal (96) and the anomaly is gone. Unfortunately, my wife does not like the Normal setting. Its her PC and her eyesight is not what it used to be.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  17. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Just a suggestion --> Can you change the DPI setting back to Normal (96) and *then* change the Font size to large (or even extra large)? I don't think you'll see that anomaly if you left the DPI setting at normal and changed font sizes.

18. e36

e36 Registered Member

That is N/A

19. Philippe_FR22

Hello,

Did you try bios optimized default ?
    Personnaly, despite lots of time spent tweaking my BIOS, I finally found that optimized default setting is frenquently the best one and the most stable (as stable as safe default except for exotic configuration)

Concerning your display driver : I guess that there exist more recent drivers since 2005 !

Regards

20. e36

e36 Registered Member

Not MS Certified (Digitally Signed).

21. Philippe_FR22

I have lots of non MS Certified drivers and that does not mean drivers are not fully compliants ! And best... Last drivers better than last MS certified... So my advice is to try last official drivers for your video card (not last certified by MS, last downloadable on your videocard suppli
    er website)

22. Philippe_FR22

23. e36

e36 Registered Member

Did you notice the date on that driver is 6/28/2005?

That's only 7-days newer than mine. I'll bet its the same driver (code-wise).

24. sparx

sparx Registered Member

So what kind of resolution are you looking for here? The "anomaly" is due to the fact that the image at the top of the About window is a fixed size and your DPI is set higher than normal, which causes the About window to be bigger, hence the blank, black space. I don't think adding a variable width image and resizing capabilities to the About window is very high up on the developer's to-do list. : )

25. agoretsky

Hello,

One thing about the video card is that it works by allocating some of the system's RAM for its own use. I am wondering if a block of memory in the 64MB allocated by it might be bad.

Because this allocation is performed during the pre-boot sequence (POST, scanning for adapter ROMS, et cetera), memory testing programs like MemTest86+ cannot access the system memory to test it--as far as that software is concerned, you just have 64MB less memory installed in your computer.

Do you have two (or more) memory modules in your computer? If so, can you try swapping them so that video card memory gets allocated from a different module? Then re-run the program and see if the black box still occurs.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.