Any good Video Converter out there?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by berryracer, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I have Nero 11 which has Nero Recode built into it.

I tried converting a 1.9 GB MP4 video to WMV to make the size smaller at the same quality but upon choosing best or good quality in Nero Recode, the size jumped up to 3.9 GB and 3.5 GB

I then tried converting it using DVDVideoSoft Free Studio v5.6.3.723 and while the size was a little smaller, the quality was not good if you looked closely in the video you would notice there are some squares.

Is there an easy to use video converter that can change between various formats at the same quality as the source video?

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Try Freemake, you can even set the size of the video.

3. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I use AVC Free (Any Video Converter) to do all of my daughters softball games. Highly recommended.

4. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Try SUPER by ESoft.
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Encoders-Converter-DIVX-Related/SUPER.shtml

Very good quality, lots of options, and it doesn't require .NET framework.

Be careful during installation as it offers to change your default search provider and home page; actions which you can refuse.

-And the size of a converted file versus the original will vary depending the format you choose to convert to and the quality level you desire.

One other free converter I like is by Daniusoft.
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multim...-Related/Daniusoft-Video-Converter-Free.shtml

Very simple to use, reasonably fast, does not require .NET, and has useful user options.

5. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

6. ichito

ichito Registered Member

7. berryracer

Wow! Thanks a lot for the myriad of suggestions guys!

someone on Anandtech Forums suggested I tried Media Coder as it has the option to keep the output quality the same as the source so I will try that

8. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

9. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

10. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I think you will find that you won't get significant smaller file converting from mp4 to wmv at a similar quality.

WMV9 (VC1 standard) is only comparable to h264 main/high. In general H264 will have a better image quality, more noticeable with lower bit rates.

Cheers, Nick

11. berryracer

the only reason I want to convert this file from MP4 to WMV is when I click on a point in the seekbar, it takes like a second or two till it resumes playback, but with WMV files it resumes instantly from the new point

12. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

Might be a problem with your codecs, maybe you should try FFDSHow/LAV codecs. However check the following for extensive list of video converters:

hxxp://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/video-encoders

I myself use MEGUI and Hybrid for encoding, FormatFactory is good too, except the adware.

13. berryracer

The only codecs I use are:

madVR + LAV + ffdshow + MPC-HC

and it doesnt happen with other videos man. don't know why only with 2 of the ones I have

14. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

15. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

Just a thought, you might enable the internal mp4 source filters and relevant codec transform filters (h264 in your case probably) if that solves the problem. You might also try to manually add ffdshow and lav in the external filters list and preferring one above another or vice versa. Also if you're not using intel quicksync/nvidia cuda, and your mobo supports either of them, you might try to enable it.

16. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I use that one too (AVC), namely to convert flash.

I use FS v 4.1... it's much lighter than the newer versions, which now run on .NET Framework (coincidence, I think not). And the file sizes are MUCH smaller I've come to find with identical quality, pound for pound much better off. On 4.1 I can convert to high quality something that on later versions wouldn't even fit on 1 (4.7 GB) disc at the same quality. This became especially problematic because I was converting TV shows and compressing and trying to fit as many as possible onto 1 disc.

I used DVD Shrink 3.2 for the compression btw...

And ImgBurn 2.3.2.0 for images, especially bootable ones. Very handy for slipstreaming new SP's/updates into OS discs.

Between these softwares they cover all my needs.

17. rrrh1

rrrh1 Registered Member

What is FS v 4.1 and where can it be downloaded ?

Thanks

rrrh1 (arch1)

18. luciddream

FS = Free Studio. The site is DVDvideosoft if I recall. Let me see if I can find it, and the older versions for you here... yep, here you go:

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/earlier-versions-of-dvd-video-soft.htm

I'd take the latest build of version 4.1 (4.1.3.60)... that's the one I've got. Pretty sure v 4.2 is when it started running on .NET Framework, and became bloated. Also the video to DVD converter file sizes got way bigger, with no increase in quality.

The Youtube converters will be completely dated though, but I don't use it for that. I use the Video to DVD converter, Audio CD Burner, Data Disc Burner, and DVD Video Burner. They're light & work fine. The DVD Decrypter has some value too, though there are better ones.

19. rrrh1

rrrh1 Registered Member

Thanks will give it a try.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Berryracer...

rrrh1 (arch1)

20. luciddream

Yeah, I take just those part of it I use, create shortcuts for them, and put them on my desktop in a folder I call "Studio", along with some other things (like AVC, ImgBurn, DVD Shrink, etc...). It's lighter this way than opening the entire FS program every time and choosing what you want.

Also every time you open them they'll want to update to the newest version. So hopefully you have an outbound FW, and set block rules for them. Otherwise it could get annoying.

And I recommend choosing the "verification" option for the burning programs. It takes longer, but could save you from having your discs turn into coasters from time to time. Or at the very least, at least you'll know it's a coaster immediately, and can burn another one.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  21. berryracer

no problem dude this thread and forums are for sharing knowledge with everyone and I already got my answer :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.