Any good free trojan cleaners/detectors out there?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Slovak, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronny

ronny Registered Member

Well, i tried ESS.I must say it looks nice and scans fast.
    But there is a problem for me.When i use it ,it get stuck (100% in taskmanager) when it reaches c:\Program Files\Skype\phone\Skype.exe.
    When i uninstall Skype v.0.97 it works fine though.I emailed support and send the skypefolder, but they had no problem on their system with their Skype. o_O
    I don't have this problem when i scan with TDS-3,a squared2, Trojan Hunter,...
    Does anyone has any suggestion?

PS:perhaps this should was not the right place to post this? Sorry.Could it be moved then?

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

ronny,

In fact the only one who can comment on this are the ESS software developers - and it looks like they have done so.

Although I'm pretty sure no one over here will be able to come up with a solution for your problem, your post is on topic - so there's no reason to move it ;)

regards.

paul

3. ronny

ronny Registered Member

Indeed ,they have and didn't found a solution (yet?).So i suppose one of them :Skype or ESS has to go :doubt:

4. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Have you tried to disable skype in the task manager, or have you gone to the computer management, then services and tried to disable it in there temporarily while scanning? I am guessing you are running win2k or winxp.

5. ronny

ronny Registered Member

Thank you very much for your reply :)
    Skype is not in my taskmanager.
    Sorry, i have XP-Nl (=Dutch version) and don't understand what you mean with "computermanagement" + "services".
    Why didn't i bought XP-English... :'(

6. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Right-click my computer icon, choose manage, then in the window that comes up under services and applications you will find services, and in there you will be able to atart and stop various different things.

7. ronny

ronny Registered Member

Thank you again for being so patient with me,Slovak. I've should have known that the Dutch "computerbeheer" = computermanagement.
    I have .There is no Skype-thing there.I found a"telephony"service.( don't know what that is) When i tried to stop this,i get an error.I can interrupt it ,but this make no difference when i scan. ESS still get stucked when reaching Skype.exe.

8. ronny

ronny Registered Member

Very ,very good news ! :) :)
    The people from Ewido are working on it!

9. subratam

subratam Registered Member

ESS is a nice one, and I ran it and was seeing the interface. Liked it till now, keeping it for sure and testing it. Ofcourse a great program it seems and hope it will just get better :cool:

best wishes, tobias

10. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

That's high praise indeed!

As soon as I am done beta testing another AT product, I will definitely give ewido a whirl. Looks good, very good.

:)

11. ronny

ronny Registered Member

I think EES isn't really finished and we should be very careful with it. See also this one:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=24295

but i'm NOT saying it is a bad program!

12. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

It is a finished product! But all signatures had to be redone (32545 in total!) because of this: http://home.arcor.de/scheinsicherheit/rebasing.htm
    False positives unfortunately never can be avoided completely, even KAV had one in winrar.exe today...

13. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To everyone from Firefighter!

I think that the amount of Ewido's signatures are at the top level, because only TDS-3 has a very small bit more signs. than those 32 540 signs. in my Ewido.

In that Scheinsicherheit's newest test mentioned here before the fixed Ewido engine was best and only TDS-3 and NOD with AH were close to Ewido to detect rebased trojans (how important that really is, who knows?).

Personally, I thought that my DrWeb 4.31b resident scanner (SpIDer Guard) was capable to detect all Beast variants - 192, 202, 205 and 206 etc. - but just now my Ewido shows:

C:\Windows\Temp\tmp000012b4\tmp00000bb7
    infected with Backdoor.Beastdoor

Some days ago I downloaded those zipped Beast variants and there may be some in exe format, I can't remember that anymore.

My DrWeb 4.31b was now able to detect that Beast with On-Demand scan and it was, BackDoor.Beast.202.

"The truth is out there, but it hurts!"

Best regards, Firefighter!

14. Firefighter

To everyone from Firefighter!

Actually the number of signatures in Ewido is just now 32 698, which is 70 signatures more than TDS-3 has yesterday!

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

15. Paul Wilders

FF,

No offense intended - but it seems you don't grasp issues like these. "Signatures" in themselve are merely a small part of the overall picture.

Apart from that: ESS looks promising indeed.

regards.

paul

16. 10390bc

10390bc Registered Member

For whom it may concern, ESS website says it's(ESS) for window$ 2000/xp only.

17. Firefighter

To Paul Wilders from Firefighter!

I understood that the topic was, "Any good FREE trojan cleaners/detectors out there?". Because of that I only mentioned that signatures issue! I have a payed licence to BOClean and I personally newer thought that Ewido can compete with BOClean just now, but because of these 32 698 signatures we can have a hint of those real amount of primaries that Ewido has.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

18. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Slovak,

Just use any free AV - Computer associates offer one - this will detect mote trojans than any free AT - and probably more than most commercial ATs.

19. 4A6F4A6F

4A6F4A6F Registered Member

"Just use any free AV - Computer associates offer one - this will detect mote trojans than any free AT - and probably more than most commercial ATs."..ehm is this a joke ? aha an av scanner can detect more trojan samples then an at scanner (ok for KAV maybe, but the others ??), but if this great master av scanner use just fingerprints, strings or something like that to detect malware..huuhuu..this becomes a nice target for a script kiddie.

20. Paul Wilders

Now, just provide some solid facts to back up this statement ;)

regards.

paul

21. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

I would like to see those facts that back that up myself.

22. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

I'd like to see some hard data as well. Face it, if the AV programs did a good job on trojans, there'd be no need for anti-trojan progs, right?

There IS a real need for ATs because the AV companies do AV work, not AT. There is some overlap, but companies like Symantec and McAfee are not in the AT business and are not likely ever to be.

Personally, with all of the hazards online these days, I wouldn't dream of NOT running an AT in conjunction with my AV. I'm currently using the A2 AT in conjunction with Norton AV and am just about as safe as I can be - barring cutting the modem cable!

23. chameleon1

chameleon1 Guest

I would no underestimate McAfee's detection rate in respect of trojans. Sure ... JoJo will probably tell us that McAfee frequently uses weak signatures taken from the resource section. But still ... it's hard to find a trojan test archive were McAfee will not perform pretty well (even better than many dedicated AT scanners).

Just my 2 cents.

24. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

25. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

As far as I know there are only 2 ATs which detect polymorphic trojans - whereas I believe all ATs do (all the major - including free ones) - so this puts them ahead.

Im sure most AVs detect more total No of trojans than any AT.

Thats not to say that some ATs detect trojans some AVs cant.

ATs and AVs detect Viri &Trojans in the same way - simply that ATs focus on Trojans.

The following link is not liked by many people here as it shows that the protection offered by ATs is minimal:

http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=62&mnu=62

If u want an AT go for it but probably better off buying a good AV like Norton, f-Secure, KAV etc.

Didnt understand the comments someone made about "script kiddies" etc - but then clearly, neither did they!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.