Any good firewalls?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Comp01, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Since Sygate is being bought out (I've used Sygate for the past few years now), I was wondering if there are any other good non-rule based firewalls (preferably free) that are light on system resources?

2. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

www.zonelabs.com (latest 6+)
    www.keiro.com

Give these a try they are very good, T;)

3. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Is Sygate light on resources? What about memory leaks? I've never used it but am more keenly interested then ever due to the Symantec take over. If I were you I would not be in a hurry to switch just because of the take over. Stick with what you got if you like it and take your time in the decision. ;)

5. FatalChaos

FatalChaos Registered Member

I thought kerio was rule based. I haven't really used 4.2, but 2.15 was rule based unless i was mistaken.

6. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Its fairly light, atleast more so than what I tested with ZoneAlarm 5.5 a while back, I've rarely seen its CPU usage go above 8-10% at max, and I usually have RAM usage between 5-9MB, I'm considering installing the new version of ZoneAlarm and Kerio 4.xx on my test PC.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Actually, Sygate used more cpu% when I used it than any other software firewall. It ran around 2-4% all the time when just idling here. All the others ran at 0-1%. So I would have to say, no, it's not that light. Also ram use wasn't particulary light either.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

2.1.5 is completely rule based yes. 4.2 also let's you do rules, however, you can, if you like, run it straight out of the box with a few predefined rules by default, and not add any of your own. 4.2 resembles ZoneAlarm more than anything else as far as that goes.. That's stretching it a little, but it's fairly easy to use and doesn't require the user to add any rules to use it.

9. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Comp01,

Try the free, very light on resources NetVeda Safety.Net and see if it have your requeriments... ;)

Regards

10. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

11. Le Kibitzer

Le Kibitzer Registered Member

Kaspersky anti hacker....
    -Light on resource (Mem Usage 588k - Peak Mem Usage 5,192k) on my pc.
    -Provides good /outbound-inbound/ protection.
    -'User friendly'.

12. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I bought Look n Stop just a couple days after trialing it, and not once have I ever regretted it. :) Lightest on resources, best outbound protection (with the beta drivers), and easy to use.

13. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Sounds like you need Kerio 2.1.5 if you ask me. ;)

14. myluvnttl

myluvnttl Registered Member

15. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Excellent. I think every personal firewall available has now been recommended, a real help to the OP ;)

When I decided to replace Sygate on my system, I went for Netveda which it turned out wasn't behaving on my particular PC, but generally is extremely well thought of. I then tried Kerio 4.2 which I still use - an excellent choice, in my opinion. Zone Alarm is also an easy to use choice and is available free as is Sygate and all the others I've mentioned.

16. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I will probably do some testing with the ones that have been mentioned and make my decision over time, I think so far NetVeda looks to be what I am leaning towards.

17. Segovia

Segovia Registered Member

A software firewall using 8-10% of your CPU time? That would be completely unacceptable to most people I'd think? And certainly doesn't qualify as "fairly light". :eek:

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I dump it if it uses more than 1%... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.