Any good firewalls left

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Jigga, Mar 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jigga

Jigga Registered Member

o_O Is it just me or are all the firewalls right now complete crap? I used to love kerio 2.15 and the pre kerios tiny personal firewall. Kerio was supposed to stick with the lightweight interface :rolleyes: and rule based firewall. Well we all know that soon changed to a buggy firewall that will even clean your house for you. is there really anything left out there. Im looking for somthing like the old kerio yet is still being developed. I tryed look'n'stop which looked great however I was left unable to play online games without manually creating rules. There didnt appear to have a learning mode which kerio some what have so I could eaisly add rules for games. After using that for a few hours i was left hopeless. Right now im just using the built in windows firewall because im aggrevated at whats out there.. Im not looking for bloated crap I just want a firewall with maybe some stateful packet inspection. I hate zone alarm, outpost, etc.. I want somthing which is lightweight. What i really want is the old kerio back in production :( anyone have any ideas.

2. Arup

Arup Guest

Have you tried the latest Jetico or NetVeda?

3. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Kerio 2.15 is still good. A lot of folks still use it.

You might want to take a look at CHX-1. It is not application aware, but it offers a degree of control that no other reasonably priced software firewall has, and it is free for personal use. The developer, Stephan, contributes to these forums.

As far as the app aware thing goes, search for some of my other posts.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'd recommend Jetico. Looks to be what you might be looking for... Light with SPI and rules like Kerio, still under development, etc...

5. Jigga

Jigga Registered Member

How are the bugs in Jetico firewall?

6. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

not tasty enough.

err... actually... try deep frying.... it may help.

okay... not really my style to turn jokles into rubber bands...
    so seriously?

If you have problems with jetico... forget it. It's a bit too hard to troubleshoot [kinda like Tiny].
    At least, that's my personal opinion.

regards.

7. Arup

Arup Guest

Jetico is a sandboxing firewall, sort of like Kerio 2.15 with app protection, it is complex at first and takes getting used to but quite good otherwise.

Kerio 2.15 is still an excellent and viable free solution and if you intend to use a firewall on an ICS machine, my choice would be Kerio 2.15 followed by Zone Alarm Pro, reason being that these two can truly stealth an ICS/Gateway machine.

8. geninblaze

geninblaze Registered Member

ehh if you use McAfee firewall plus it will tell you if you want to open a port for it...the only drawback is that you gotta pay loool :D

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Honestly, I don't see any here at all, but some other folks might disagree.. It's worth a try... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.