Any good(Antitrojan)

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by chaos16, Mar 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

is A-squared antitrojan any good i use the free version and it doesn't find anything??

wat about ewido. Is it could for removing other thing except from trojans and a-squared as wello_O
    Wat are the advantages of these 2o_O

for trojan protection i only need thoughs 2 scanners right and my antivirus KAV.o_O

P.S - any news on the next version of ewido 3.5 or 3.1 or 4.0o_O? Any new or any rough date knowno_O

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

From all I've read, a² is a fine AT.

Since you've commented on it not finding anything, are you sure that there is there anything to find?

Blue

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Last week I got sent to a neurosurgeon for a brain scan. He didn't find anything either.:p

Oh well, back on-thread. I use a-square. First time out of the box, it spotted 4 nasties. They were not false-positives. Verrry good.

The one thing I don't like is the updater. Most of the time it merely responds: "The update process was finished successfully." So what does THAT mean? Did it actually update, or did it merely shake hands with the a-square & discover that there were no updates available? If it is the latter, then I would say that a-square doesn't update very often. Maybe on 2 or 3 times weekly.

IMHO an updater that doesn't clearly reveal what is going on is a black-mark against this proggie.

4. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Ewido is very good. It is very user friendly and catches many things.

Some features http://www.ewido.net/en/features/#

Thanks,

Chris

5. Arup

Arup Guest

I tried Ewido and it is quite good but even the free version loads a service taking up memory even when not in use, a2 does the same job but without any background services if you are using the free version.

6. Howard

Howard Registered Member

It is worse than you describe, because if you launch a² Start Centre it will tell you the date of the last update; but this is nothing more than the last time a² checked for an update so it is, in my view, misleading - every other programme I use or have used gives the date of the last actual update - and pretty close to useless. And my signatures are certainly not being update several times a week; indeed, the last signature update was March 8 2005 Update certainly is a black mark against this programme

7. twig

twig Guest

8. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Guest

Agreed, I have found no way to know what the latest signature date is. But it is so in the free version.
    I use the Security software updates sticky from BBR site to check when it is needed to update.
    http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,12948462

Note that link will last only one day and then it will be replaced by a newer one.

----------

A request for you Bellgamin. Care to reply this thread about Norman's firewall that you started and was again active yesterday:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=40080

9. Howard

Howard Registered Member

I suspect this issue with updating in a² is rather lost/hidden in the current thread which does not indicate it is particularly about a²

People running a² Free or a² Personal and concerned about the inadequacies of updating might also want to read and contribute to the recent thread in the official a² Free and a² Personal forum http://forum.emsisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=2826

10. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Unless you visit high risk sites, KAV by itself should give you sufficient protection.

However, no harm in having Ewido/A-squared as a free on-demand AT scanner ;)
    Next version will obviously show improvements and should be out sometime this year when then are ready to release a product that they are satisfied with. It should, however, be released before TDS-4 :D

11. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

So before 2007 then. :D ;) :D

12. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

You of little faith, Don :D

13. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I use a2 but I don't like the updater either, if I remember the last two updates were only for language support.

a2 is fine except the updater tells you nothing.....

14. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

If you want to find out when the last A2 update was, you just click 'Visit the A2 homepage' at the top right hand corner of the GUI and look at the update section in the right hand column - that will give you the date.

A2 does NOT just find trojans, it's ambit is far wider than some dedicated ATs and it will surely find things that KAV is not intended to find. If you use A2 and it finds 4 things that are not FPs, then that is a 'result'!

A2 may have sporadic updates, but even so it is no worse than some AVs (eg Norton's once or twice a week) and with it's new IDS technology the paid for version does not need daily updates to offer real protection to the latest threats.

15. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

so for trojan protection i am alright with KAV ewido free and A2 free.??

16. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Yes, that would be a good trio, and someday when you get the money for it, you could buy the full version of Ewido or a².

17. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I replied to Robyn's PM on this. However, I shall go tie up loose ends on that thread.

Concerning a-square's updater, they should change the message to something like "No update required" when no updates are available.

In udder voids, go round your elbow to get to your thumb.:p

I use a-square free, which scans on-demand only. Unless I intend to do an immediate scan, I update using a2upd.exe, thereby avoiding the rather slow loading a-square GUI. Again I say -- a-square needs to make their updater more revealing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.