Any free anti key logger?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Is there any free and reliable anti key logger? OA is good in this regard as I heard but it is not free of course?

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Last edited: May 26, 2006
  3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Have u experience with anyone? Which one I should choose? And how we can compare them to OA in this regard?
    Sorry for so many questions.
    Thanks again.

5. ErikAlbert

I'm not good enough to answer these questions, but other members will do it for me. :)
    (I have a psychological problem with scanners in general)

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

.... that they don,t find anything?

7. TNT

TNT Registered Member

SnoopFree is not a scanner.

8. ErikAlbert

I don't know SnoopFree, never used it. It was mentioned in a thread about anti-keyloggers. So I assumed is was a scanner.
    Does it really matter?

9. ErikAlbert

Scanners don't give me enough reassurance that my computer is clean.
    Spybot S&D congrats me every day for having a clean computer, sorry but I can't believe that. I'm trying to solve this, but it will be very difficult.

10. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Well, yes. SnoopFree alerts of keylogger-like behavior (keyboard hooks, applications trying to read the screen or from windows they don't own, low-level keyboard filters, etc); it won't "miss" a keylogger because it doesn't have the signature for it. If it misses a keylogger, it will be because the keylogger disabled SnoopFree or uses a different technique.

11. ErikAlbert

That's not good enough for me, I would rather prefer to replace my system partition once or twice a day with a clean image/snapshot to get rid of any infection (existing, new or undetected) and I don't need to be on-line all the time.

12. TNT

TNT Registered Member

I'd much rather have a solid security in place than keep reloading a 'clean' image twice a day, but that's just me.

13. ErikAlbert

All my security applications are bothering me all the time and disturbing my concentration and that's very annoying. I didn't buy a computer for security, I like to work and enjoy my computer instead of watching it constantly for a possible threat.

14. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Sounds to me that reloading a clean image two times a day is quite bothersome as well. Nobody's saying that you need to follow Vista's atrocious view of "security=constant pop-up security alerts", or the dumb approach of "security=ten virus scans a day".

For instance you can restrict applications and the general environment so that they can access what they need, and nothing more; a conservative approach like this might need quite a lot of initial learning/tweaking, but after that it's piece of mind. :) I've followed this approach for years with at least two operating systems (Windows 2000/XP and Unix OpenBSD). In the meanwhile, I've visited the most horribly malware-ridden places on the Internet without any problem whatsoever.

And anyway, I do not trust virus scan results that much either. I've seen too many fail, and far too often. They're just a little part of a security setup.

15. spindoctor

spindoctor Registered Member

The free version of SpywareDoctor has a anti-keylogger in it. From what I understand about the free version, the realtime protection won't expire, so you could keep using the anti-keylogger for free.

16. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

SnoopFree loads before just about everything else at bootup. Use LoadOrder from Sysinternals.com to find out.

Other than that, it will only detect hooking type keyloggers and system software that hook, not kernel-level or hardware keyloggers AFAIK. Checkout following article to know the difference: Introduction to Spyware Keyloggers
    http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1829

-- Tom

17. TNT

TNT Registered Member

18. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi TNT,

I've never tested SnoopFree against any kernel-level keyloggers, so I wouldn't know from first-hand experience. The author of SnoopFree states: "SnoopFree Privacy Shield protects you from several major privacy threats: keystroke loggers, unauthorized screen shots and un-owned window reads."

This would probably, as you say, include some kernel-based keyloggers, but not all.

Yes, no software can detect hardware keyloggers - thank you for emphasizing the point.

-- Tom

19. TNT

TNT Registered Member

I know it detects "suspect" kernel drivers. It marked Deep Freeze's kernel driver as suspect, for instance (again, not "infected"... SnoopFree only analyzes behavior, it doesn't recognize anything with certainty because it doesn't rely on a signature db).

20. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I tried SnoopFree, fast, light, elegant, and solid.
    There's also the opensource PSMAntiKeylogger.
    Mrk

21. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

How does UnHackMe fit into this? Somehow, I thought Snoopfree, and UnHackMe complimented each other.

Jerry

22. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

snoopfree will catch keyloggers and unhackme will handle rootkits.

23. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks. At first KAV 6 did not like Snoopfree, and I uninstalled it. However, yesterday I downloaded and installed Snoopfree again. No problems so far.

I am using both Snoopfree and UnHack Me. I also use WinPatrol Plus. I don't know how it fits in, but it warns me about changes.

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.