Any firewall that provide Simple App control

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by iwod, Jan 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I just want a firewall to provide App control, ( and may be other simple features )

I think the main purpose should be controling which program send Data out to avoid trojan and worm... etc.

See this simple firewall has little function it would be very very light in resources as well.

Any recommandation?

2. Nickie

Nickie Registered Member

Norman Firewall is the firewall you're looking for.

If there is no rule for a particular application when it requests access to the Internet, it will ask you what to do, and once you have done so with a few mouse clicks, it will abide to this new rule until you change it. You can also define rules for your applications in advance, before they run, if you so prefer. It doesn't get much easier.

And it certainly isn't heavy on resources.

3. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

Kaspersky firewall would be another good candidate as well as Kerio 2.15.

4. iwod

iwod Registered Member

anymore? it would simply just app control...............

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't know if there are any programs that just do app control alone. About the simplest firewall I can think of is perhaps ZoneAlarm...

6. Atangel

Atangel Registered Member

Sygate will as well. You can make it complicated if you want, but in its default config everything is set to ask and you either approve or disaprove...

THe logging is far superior to ZA, thouh ZA has a better simplier interface.

7. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Look'n'Stop would be worth considering also. It is rules-based but light on resource usage and performs well on leaktests which should be the key measure if blocking outward communications from malware is the main purpose (see http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.htm).

8. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Well, Zonelaram is actually close to my need apart from its memeory usage,

Look And Stop is too hard to config.

I don't need pop up blocker, ad control, parantal thing.....

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If you go with ZoneAlarm, you might also want to try to find one of the older versions. Many people prefer them because they're less bloated and simpler, yet still effective. Just a thought...

10. Kec Velaskec

Kec Velaskec Registered Member

pcInternet Patrol - application control.

Unlike most other Firewalls, pcInternet Patrol is fully automated and is extremely easy to use.

11. Optimist

Optimist Registered Member

....and extremely expensive! :'(

12. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Yes that i as close as i am looking for. Although now i understand i shouldn't phased it as a firewall, Coz in most of your mind would call a simple app control Firewall.

pcinternet Patrol is looking great. Apart from the price is a little too expensive and i don't need the features which is auto check program ( And which is why the program cost so much. )

Thx. I gather if i don't find one i may have to write one myself.

13. funkytown

funkytown Guest

If all your looking for is app control why not look into the free (at least at this time) System Safety Monitor or the free version of Process Guard? Though not the same as a regular firewall they will provide control of which programs can or cannot start on your system for free. Use can then just use any cheapo or free firewall of your choice along with them, like ZA free.

14. Wills

Wills Registered Member

I bought ZA Pro 5, even disenabling pop ups it slowed my computer down so bad and was hard to configure. The instructions were the pits and so I am sending it back for a refund.
    I used Reg Supreme to get rid to the leftovers after I uninstalled it. I too am looking for a user friendly, low resource user firewall. Anyone tried outpost, i really don't want all the fiddling around.
    people have said i should have gone for ZA free version but i understand it is a resource hog as well and asks a lot of questions.
    I know that firewalls are high maintenance and expect that but I want to get one that is reliable and that i don't have to devote my day clicking on programs to approve or disapprove.
    i look forward to more responses.
    How does Norman compare for ease of use and configuration compared to ZA free versiono_O I look forward to experienced comments. Thankyou

15. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Hi,

I need application only filtering.

I found Kaspersky good. Esp as you could turn off inbound filtering easily (useful on LAN). Smallish memory footprint, but loads quick, no notible performance hit and simple interface.
    Look n Stop was too fiddly (I got dumb users on my laptop).
    Everything else did more than I wanted, adding to unwanted bloat.

Nick

16. iwod

iwod Registered Member

@ Wills

Normal Firewall has not been developed for ages, apart from that its interface looks Ugly. And Some stability issue stated over at PCfrank.... Otherwise easy to set up ( lot os question at first though ) and OK resources friendly. ( 10Mb of RAM usage as opposed to what some other have reported 3Mb. because they miss one of the process out when calaculating )

@ Nickr. Ok. I will try kapersky out.

17. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Sounds like Norman may have some problems, ZA is a hog, PC Internet Patrol costs bucks because it probably does more than I want.
    There has been suggestions to get older version of Free ZA, as it is easier to work and not such a Big foot Print. Anymore comments??
    I have heard that as a Novice that Sygate could be a problem for me.
    I am a real novice as I bought my computer in 2003 as my DOS one took a dive in 2000 and I thought that i would never need another computer and then everywhere i went it was "you can find it at www.".......need i say anymore and thus i purchased a notebook in 2003 as it was the most suitable to my needs and then spent a fair amount on books and surfed forums like this one.
    Have watched my security and continue to update and scan and scan.
    I look forward to comments.

Thankyou,

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Sygate is fairly easy to use, however you have to be careful to uncheck the "act as server" box on 99% of your apps. The default checked status allows inbound traffic on all your apps, something you don't want and probably don't need for the most part.

I found Sygate to be very heavy on cpu usage though. Much worse than ZA and most others I've tried. For that reason alone (from your comments on ZA), I would avoid Sygate for your purposes...

19. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Attached Files:

20. Kaupp

Kaupp Guest

21. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Thx for this response, however, in looking at your screenshot it appears that I am going to be obliged to make decisions and list them. is this trueo_O?
    I hope that members will respond.
    As a newbie the knowledge is simply not there for what programs should not be allowed to access the internet and i don't have confidence in the other choices that the firewall has for me, i am not a techie.
    simply put, i use a computer that i want to be protected but not with a hog for resources and do what my other programs already do.
    it seems that the firewalls now can even look after usb storageo_O I am not looking for that, nor am i looking for vault protection and the options seem to go on and on.
    I hope that some one can come up with one that is not a resource hog and dosn't keep coming up with the $64,000 question each time i try to use the box.

Thankyou and i look forward to replies!!!!!!!!!! :)

22. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Thx, does this wyvernworks have to be run manually for checking unlike the others, i was looking at the description and wanted to ask, especially since no one has ever mentioned this particular firewall.
    Look forward to comments!!!!!! :D

23. backfolder

backfolder Registered Member

The most efective in my box is Norton IS 2004, only firewall. I´ve tried all other and nothing compared to NIS. You can also try Agnitum Outpost which is really low in resource usage.

backfolder.-

24. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Bitguard seems to fit my need. I haven't tested it yet because my computer can not afford to be restarted for these few days. I may post report later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.