Any experienced Dr Web users around?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SG1, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

I tried DrW, then bought it last night; but I'm not sure all updates are working correctly. While # of virii in db in my program matches the #s in recent Update Alert post on this site, the log also says something here & there about wrong login parameters, and therefore I can't get such and such... What am I missing there?

And their e-mail (after I purchased program) says "... Upon registration in the users database of DialogueScience, Inc. you have been given the following combination for authentication in the commercial updates zone." Did they register me, when I bought program, or do I have to go to certain link and sign up?

And while I setup DrW per notes on this site, seems the Delete option for infected mail was grayed out, so I couldn't select that choice.

Thanks for any help/info SG1 (Pat)

Below are some of log messages, that lead me to believe I may not have program set up correctly, or "something..."
    -----------

Searching drweb32.lst...
    14 Aug 2004, 23:56:03 Invalid server login parameters
    14 Aug 2004, 23:56:03 Transfer of drweb32.lst failed
    14 Aug 2004, 23:56:03 Cannot download version file
    14 Aug 2004, 23:56:03 Connection interrupted
    14 Aug 2004, 23:56:03 Disconnected
    ==============
    Connecting to host: http://www.antivir.ru/drweb/update/
    14 Aug 2004, 14:56:01 Searching drweb32.lst...
    14 Aug 2004, 14:56:01 Transfer of drweb32.lst failed
    14 Aug 2004, 14:56:01 The server name or address could not be resolved (12007)
    14 Aug 2004, 14:56:01 Unknown error
    14 Aug 2004, 14:56:01 Cannot download version file
    14 Aug 2004, 14:56:01 Connection interrupted
    14 Aug 2004, 14:56:01 Disconnected

---------------------

Tried updates again; then DRW tells me of process in memory - namely TrojanHunter Guard - is or has infection of win32.hllm.mydoom.32768, and has eradicated it. Ah... judging from our surfing habits here etc., that does not seem likely: is this another case of DRW's overzealous hieursetics or whatever that's called?

[Memory test] Process in memory: C:\PROGRAM FILES\TROJANHUNTER 3.9\THGUARD.EXE infected with Win32.HLLM.MyDoom.32768 - eradicated

Last edited: Aug 15, 2004
  2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I am not an expert on DrWeb by any means -- just a user. Hopefully Blackcat or one of the other DRW gurus who frequent this site will check in with the information you are seeking.

In the meantime, I can tell you that your license for using DrWeb will be found in your DrWeb folder. The name of the file is...

drw32key.dwz

You can read that gfile using Notepad. The first part of that file should contain info like the following (I have obfuscated my license numbers with **********)...
    The above license gets me all the updates etc. If your license reads substantially different, that may be the problem.

For DRW's main tech support send an email to...
    support@antivir.ru

If that produces no response within 2 days, try...
    B.Sharov@drweb.com

{Mr. Sharov is a V.I.P. there, but very helpful. If you need to contact him, be sure & tell him that you got no answer from DRW's main tech support before going to him.}

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'm a novice user myself...
    bellgamin

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I'm currently running Dr.web and TH Guard without any trouble.

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hi.

I use Dr.Web but I'm a novice user at best.

The update URL that you gave is the same URL that I get updates from.
    I haven't had any trouble updating.
    Did you recieve a user name and password to enter in the scanner options for updates?There is a tab in the scanner under options>change settings>updates.

Regarding the Trojan Hunter item,Dr.Web is likely finding something in the Trojan Hunter definitions.I have that occasionally with the Cleaner Professional.It's a false positive IMO.
    I have Dr.Web set to "report" and "prompt on action" so that I can view detected items before any action is carried out.Use the same path I listed for update to access action settings.There is a box labeled "prompt on any action" in the scan tab.Try that.It may ask you for an action when something is found while scanning memory.

I hope this helps you.

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Did try going to http://www.antivir.ru/drweb/update/ with Internet Explorer. After entering your username and password provided by DialogueScience it takes you to a page where the commercial user can either download either package as a whole zip-archive drweb32.zip along with the description file drweb32.lst (it is included into the zip-archive). Or, download individual update files.

6. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Im rather new to DrWEB myself but was wondering if you entered your username/password in the scanner. Open DrWEB and go to options - change settings - then go to updates. Copy the update link they sent you in the update url then copy in your username and password. Then hit apply and try updating.

7. DR.WEB

DR.WEB Guest

How is dr web on resources? Im currently using kav 4.5 and i need to renew soon.But before i do i was wondering about dr.web.

It seems to be as good as kav { ? }

Look at your computer and tell me how much memory dr web is using right now.

thx

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I thought you would know your OWN memory :D

On a XP Pro system with DEFAULT settings; Virtual Memory usage; 2 running processes;

spidernt.exe- 1092kb and spidermail.exe- 3784kb.

So overall, very little memory/resource usage if you are using this AV Monitor on its smart scan setting. You can, therefore, run even lighter if you do not use the Spidermail component.

Probably the lightest AV, in terms of footprint, with F-Prot for Windows.

Suggest you trial the good Doctor yourself before any decision is made. Uninstall KAV first though.

9. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear SG1, this is just a simple issue of providing the correct username and password. make sure the CAPS LOCK is turned off. use copy and paste operation for adding your username and password to be sure.

10. DR.WEB

DR.WEB Guest

Thx cat

11. DR.WEB

DR.WEB Guest

How long is the trial for DR.WEB and can you get updates during the trial time limit?

12. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Normal trial period is for 30-days but the usual demo version has some advanced features, such as heuristic analysis, disabled.

However, take a look here; http://www.drweb-online.com/en/demo1.asp where you can obtain evaluation keys for different versions, including a FULL version with no features disabled.

13. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

As to resource usage, you didn't say which OS you're running. On my WinME, the only DrWeb process running is spider.exe. It uses just 533.4K of ram! :eek:

I do not need to run spider mail.

14. Arin

Arin Registered Member

there should be some VxD loaded too named spider.vxd but still the memory usage is very low.

15. -JSa-

-JSa- Guest

hi all,I have a quick question
    Is there any way to speed up the time spidermail takes to check incoming mail by changing some settings?
    I don't want to sacrifice too much security for speed but at the moment it is considerably slower than nod32' imon

thx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.