Any danger in trying different disk imaging programs?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by plawlis, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plawlis

plawlis Registered Member

I've seen several threads encouraging readers to download trial versions of imaging software to allow us to compare them. I've had a terrible time with Acronis, and part of it has been that it's been VERY difficult to upgrade from one version to the next b/c vestiges of the old version hide in obscure places. I've spent hours deleting registry values, etc.

Thus, my question: if I go downloading some of the ones discussed in this forum, is there much of a chance I'll have significant problems uninstalling them, or having conflicts among old and new?

Phil

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

The best way to test imaging software is to make an image of your system WITHOUT imaging software installed and use it to restore your system to a clean state.
    Obviously, having an image without imaging software installed means that you must do the imaging from the recovery CD (BartPE, WinPE, Linux, DOS, etc)

3. plawlis

Thanks, Lucas. I guess all of them allow a trial user to make a recovery CD for the purpose you suggest...

4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Don't forget the ATI driver in 32[driversmap]snapman.exe to remove first !Thereafter its save to unstall others.

5. plawlis

OK. I hope that's all!

6. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

The only imaging program that has ever given me problems uninstalling was Acronis. Drive Snapshot Paragon & one or two others all uninstalled very easily.

7. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

Drive Snapshot doesn't even need to be installed, so is very easy to get rid of :) .

Graham

8. unbob

unbob Registered Member

Phil, check out BootIt Next Generation (BootIt NG, or BING) at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/index.htm

It boots and runs independently from whatever OS you're running. And, it's much more than just an imaging program.

I've used BING for over 2 years with no problem whatsoever.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Rob

9. appster

appster Registered Member

Just a few thoughts from a guy who owns Acronis TI, Drive Snapshot and Paragon Hard Disk Mgr. I happen to prefer Drive Snapshot because it produces the smallest and fastest image of the 3 when backing up my Rollback Rx sysem partition.

With that said, both Acronis and Paragon provide an easy-to-use rescue boot CD, something that neither DS or IFW do. In order to backup/restore with DS or IFW from outside of your normal Windows environment you either have to use their less-than-easy DOS progams or use a separate 'PE' boot disk.

Don't be put off... When used (and removed) properly, they all do the job (with no danger)! ;)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  10. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Agree. I am no expert and at first BootIt NG scared me a bit. But I read about it and learned from tutorial videos. It was not hard to learn. Very reliable also as a partition tool. I admit it is not very userfriendly but I would not change it for other imaging/partition tool. Have it on CD or installed in own small partition or both. The best software I ever bought.
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/support-bootit-next-generation.htm

11. plawlis

Paragon: HD Manager, Trial Version Limits?

I downloaded the trial version of Hard Disk Manager Suite, 8.5. I get an error message when I try to do an image from w/in Windows. It allowed me to do it from the rescue disk, but the rescue disk would NOT allow me to do anything else, e.g., RECOVER the files I imaged, repartition, etc. When I try, I first get the "you have the trial version, buy now/later" screen, and then an error message (Drive not ready).

Question: Is it possible the trial version wouldn't allow me to do these other functions, or could it be something is "up" with my machine--it's a bit like the problems that I've had with Acronis--3 mos. later they still can't make it work.

12. appster

Re: Paragon: HD Manager, Trial Version Limits?

It should be fully-functional from within Windows for 30-days. Naturally, the recovery CD's functionality will be limited on the trial version. What problems did you have with ATI?

13. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Weird o_O You get a recovery Cd from them and it didn't work [restrictions ?],IMO ditch it asap and and get some reliable stuf from StorageCraft or the Ghost thingy.

14. plawlis

Appster, With ATI, whenever I try to backup, the program freezes. I've worked with them for literally 2+ mos, and they've finally sent it to their developers. I decided to try another program, and so when it ALSO tells me I can't backup (w/in windows), it makes me suspicious that there is a conflict with my machine...

15. appster

First of all, when you say ATI, are you referring to ATI 11? Is it a demo or full version (and which build)? I'm also curious as to the makeup of your PC. Can you describe the hardware including the OS?

16. appster

Not at all. If they were to provide a fully functional recovery CD with a trial/demo version, they would be 'giving away the store'. I very much doubt that StorageCraft and Symantec do otherwise!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  17. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Storage Craft Shadow Protect certainly has provision for making the full recovery environment disk .

All you need do is to request the full evaluation (exactly the same features as the paid version) here- download and burn the ISO image.

Full,helpful Support and 30 days trial.

This is the imager of my choice by a big margin and Ive tried most,because of its combination of useful features,simplicity,speed and utter reliability.

Any one trying out owes it to themselves to trial this one,even if it costs a few bucks more-so what!

edit;the evaluation version has full functionality except for the hardware restore feature,which is used to transfer images to a new computer.This is the only app Ive tried which succeeds in getting new hardware working with an image from a different computer.Alone worth its weight in gold!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  18. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

weight in gold,you said that ? every character is true !!

19. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Same here.

I'm using BING now for almost 3 years. I have done lots, lots of imageing, partitioning, resizing etc. etc. Bing NEVER failed, not once !!!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: It is the king of reliability. Price is a bargain. The best software investment I have made till now.

They also have a very good user forum with knowledgeable users.

20. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

did u check/try ATI workstation with universal restore? its claim it can restore image to defent hardware pc`s also

21. Hairy Coo

Interesting!

True Image Echo Workstation with Universal Restore is designed for large enterprises,but looks like it would do the job.

Cost seems to be around $110-00 for both-reasonable,unless thats the annual charge,which it doesnt seem to be.

Have you tried it?

Ordinary TI definitely wont do HIR.

22. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

SP gets for you at $80, and I know it works well.

23. Hairy Coo

Yea,and some of the features seem similar to SP.

Compare

24. appster

Regardless of whether you use HIR or UR when restoring an image from System A to System B, you better have all System B drivers on readily accessible media (e.g., CD) at the time of the restore! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.