Any Conflicts with FirstDefense + ATI + PerfectDisk?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Minimax2000, Nov 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minimax2000

Minimax2000 Registered Member

Hello all

I am trialing First Defense-ISR and would like to know if any conflicts exist with Acronis True Image 9.0 and PerfectDisk 7.0. What do I have to keep in mind when using FD-ISR?

I already own PerfectDisk and ATI and think FD-ISR would complement ATI.
    Tips are very much appreciated.

Frank

2. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

Hi Frank1971

Perfect Disk and FD-ISR are compatible (both from Raxco).

I don't know about ATI, as I don't have any need for imaging software with FD-ISR installed.

3. Minimax2000

Thank you betauser2. :)

So one question left. Can I make a disk image with FD-ISR installed? Are my snapshots still usable if I boot from this image?

Thanks.

4. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

I honestly don't know, hopefully someone else can come in to answer your question.

I have one snapshot with a fresh installation of XP installed, one primary shot that I use and one backup of my primary shot. I have all my data backed up on a different partition (inc. Firefox browser profile etc) and all my data files backed up on DVD-RWs.

5. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

6. Minimax2000

7. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

Great minds think alike ;)

8. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

TI 8 and 9.1 are fine with FD - never tried 7 but can see no reason why it would not work

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yes and Yes. Do it all the time. PD v8, ATI v9.0 and FDISR

Pete

10. Peter2150

That's a very bad assumption. An an interesting experience this evening.

I am using VSS with FDISR and it's been no problem. I also been fooling with another Disk imaging program similiar to ATI, but it must also us VSS. Up to know I've tried this program, and then use FDISR to remove it. Then tonight I decided I'd keep it for a while, so I wanted to update my secondary snapshot. I started the copy/update and sat and watched while FDISR removed all the files from the secondary snapshot.

Testing showed this was repeatable with both programs, but things were fine, if I switched FDISR from VSS to RSS.

Also what do you do if you have a total disk failure. Yes you can recover with FDISR archives, but trust me an image is much quicker and easier.

Pete

11. Minimax2000

Thanks for the confirmation Pete.

Frank

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I've tested FDISR, ATI and FDISR + ATI thoroughly and it never failed during 6 months and it still works. ATI recovers everything : MBR + all snapshots, if you do it right.
    Even when you forget to restore the MBR in ATI, you still can recover the MBR by enabling the Pre-boot of FDISR after restoration.

FDISR can also be your second backup solution, if you archive each snapshot.
    FDISR is the fastest backup solution, I've ever seen. Only the first archived snapshot takes a litte longer. After that, it's nothing but refreshing the existing archived snapshot, a matter of seconds or a few minuts.

ATI + FDISR makes you feel invincible, one of the psychological side-effects of this combination. :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  13. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

Hi Peter2150

It's not an assumption as I (personally) have no need for imaging software, what else can I say? You can see my methodology in post #4. I don't use FD-ISR archives (feature) as backup.

Now ASSUMING I have a total disk failure, no sweat as I would (God willing) have all of my data backed up on DVD-RWs (soon to be external HD) I can simply reinstall my OS on a new hard drive, and I'm ready to go (after an hour or so).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2006
  14. Minimax2000

Didn't know that an archived snapshot can be refreshed that fast. Great. My initial secondary snapshot took 20 min for around 5 GByte. This was a bit slower than ATI's disk imaging (15 min for 5 GByte).

Thanks for sharing your knowledge Erik.

15. Peter2150

Okay. I am not sure I would rely on DVD's, hard drive is better, but yes you are covered.

I guess it depends on your situation. For me time is critical, and a clean windows install on my new box would be a bit messy due to all the drivers it would take to get it running. Imaging is so much quicker.

It also depends on your usage. I do stuff that breaks my software, and as good as FDISR is, and it is great, I've broken it. Image is mighty handy.

Cheers,

16. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Ok So heres my question: If I Install PerfectDisk 8 after installing,and creating a secondary snapshot with FDISR will it move some data or stuff, when I defrag with PerfectDisk? as I read that I might not get the FDISR boot screen If I use a defragger,as it may alter some MBR records?. Secondly It took a few hours to Copy from Primary to Secondary, and afterwards iwhen it was finished it said there was 2 Errors, is this OK? as I dont see in the logfile what the errors were/are.

17. ErikAlbert

To view the Activity Log and "Details", you have to do this :
    1. Open FDISR
    2. Click on Tools
    3. Click on View Activity Log
    4. Click on the BLUE PLUS SIGN of the approperiate copy/update and you will get the DETAILS of that copy/update.
    In the "Details" you can see the errors.

You can also export the detail report to a log-file that can be read with Notepad.

Any activity that results in one or more errors is ABNORMAL and you have to redo it.

You can't run PerfectDisk during any FDISR-activity. You better run PerfectDisk on demand.
    PerfectDisk never did anything wrong with my MBR.

For the record : I use PerfectDisk + FDISR + ATI myself and never had any problems with all three during six months.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  18. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I cant see the errors the errors apparently there is 2 so it says. I'm deleting the secondary snapshot. I ean CHKDSK to scan my Hard disk for errors etc.. it replaced some damaged clusters, could this be the cause of the errors? Also I am going to install PerfectDisk 8 and defrag my computer, and I will run a tool to fixup any registry erors too, then I will create a secondary image again. :thumb: I'll chack back in the morning, its 3am here now and I must sleep:blink:

19. Peter2150

Sometimes if you get an error, just try the copy/update again. The 2nd time might complete without errors and you will be fine.

20. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@DVD+R
    WOW
    How big is your "C"?
    12G here and ~ 40 minutes for new snapshot with task default "high priority".
    What rating your CPU and HD?

Very dispiriting seeing the 2 errors isn't it.
    Causes some uncertainty.
    It may be hard to find those 2 errors in the log and the description may not really be helpful

Pete's advice is sound: redo the copy update and it should take ~5 minutes and will most likely not redo the errors.
    Be careful with any other running processes: there may be some problem although I have not really seen any yet.

Regards.

21. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

OK! Megashit Alert, I just had total meltdown of My PC :( I was updating from microsoft updates site, and firstly it said that the update for Microsoft Net Frameworlk 1.1 failed! So I though Ok no big deal, then I rebooted like required, and Heaven & Hell let loose on My system. It rebooted to the point where that screen with the scrolling blue bars go across where it says Windows Xp Microsoft ( follow me so far? ) the screen just before the welcome screen. It would NOT go to the welcome screen, my screen was black (totally black) it was like this for 5 mins, so I powered off by on/off button on pc. I started up again, I got the Protected By FirstDefence ISR screen, then it booted to asking for safe mode etc.. So I chose safe mode, and I got the error message your system has NO! paging files Go to Control Panel/System/Performance Settings/Advanced/Change/Custom Size Initial or Maximum. The page file size was "0" so after I applied the recomended size/custom, I rebooted and that was it, my partion got completely deleted yet the First Defence Screen kept asking me If I wanted to boot to whenever, but it didnt work, my computer was in a loop, rebooting everytime it reached the windows xp screen. I couldnt repair via XP Install disk as it said there my partion needed formatting, and judging by the partion size, nothing was installed on my hard drive. TOTAL BUMMER! :isay: Ive just finished reformating and reintalling half of my stuff, What I want to know is could this be because of the errors I got when doing my first copy of the primary snapshot?, and would you recomend I reinstall FirstDefence, because this has really got me concerened it might happen again If I do. By the way Longboard, to answer your question on how big my Hard Drive is, its 250GB. I was thinking of Installing Rollback Rx, but I'm dubious about that, which is better FirstDefence or Rollback Rx?

22. Peter2150

Ouch. The worst I've ever had happen with FDISR is it couldn't boot to another snapshot. I've had several things that did cause issue's with FDISR, but nothing that came close to the damage you have seen.

As to FDISR vs Rollback, personally I'd stick with FDISR, but others might say differently.

PEte

23. ErikAlbert

DVD+R,
    Don't you have an image backup/restore system to save you in such situation ?

24. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@DVD+R
    OUCH.
    OK the HD is 250G but how big is "C" or primary partition?

Without knowing more about what you've got on your system it's hard to comment.
    I can tell you that I had a situation recently where I had >2000 errors on a Primary>Secondary snapshot copy.
    The system would always reboot to the primary, I did NOT try to boot to secondary.
    Raxco fixed the problem very quickly.

Peter has tried very hard to blow-up FDISR both intentionally and by mistake ;)
    He may be better placed to give some more advice.
    Contact RAxco: there are very proficient support peeples there.

I'm with E-A: make a good image before anything else now

FAQ:http://www.raxco.com/support/windows/fdisr/fdisr_faqs.cfm
    There is a known conflict withBitdefender: http://www.raxco.com/support/windows/kb_details.cfm?kbid=533&issue=37
    Other conflict issues: http://www.raxco.com/support/windows/kb_details.cfm?kbid=394

HTMH
    Regards.

Edit:
    Agree.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  25. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

So here I am it took almost 9 hours to get to the stage where I am now, All programs re-installed, All updates Installed, All New versions IE7 & WMP v11 Installed, Majority of Music loaded back into My Music folder aprox 10.5GB (is this too much to Anchor in Documents for FirstDefence? If it is "Sod It!" I'm not! removing any. AntiVirus & Spyware Installed, cant decide on what Firewall though, I had Outpost 4.0 Pro but it was too heavy on resources at times, although a top notch Firewall. Looks like I'm just about ready to Rock & Roll again, I'll die If It happens again though :shifty:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.