Any Benefit to Running Internal Portable Apps?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cruise, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

I see how running portable apps from external storage devices could be useful, but I'm wondering if there's any benefit to running a portable app from internal storage (compared to running the installed version of the same app)? :doubt:

Cruise

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  2. donaddams

donaddams Registered Member

I run portable apps from a folder "Program Files Portable" on a internal storage drive the Benefit is that when restoring a drive image on the operating system drive the programs are unaffected.
    some more benefits are
    Improved security, by isolating applications from the operating system.
    protect the operating system and other applications from poorly written or buggy code
    Allows applications to run in environments that do not suit the native application
    enables older Windows XP application to run unmodified on Windows 7

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

4. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

I have been avoiding portable apps (on my internal drive) because I'm under the impression they often have functional and/or performance limitations when compared to their installed counterpart.

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

One difference is the integration of choices/commands built into Windows right click context menus for the regular installed programs. Most portable apps don't offer this choice. But for many apps, this is the only significant difference. At least that's been my experience...

6. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

When I run application on-demand only, I prefer to use portable version if possible. I don't like drivers and services being installed if there is no need for them.

7. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Not to be argumentative, but it seems to me software developers use drivers/services to provide useful, if not needed, functionality and if a portable version circumvents their use the software in question is compromised. :eek:

8. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Not necessary. MBAM v.2 will install service and run it even if I don't enable any scan schedule. That's why I prefer to use v. 1.75. The same goes for Secunia PSI - I prefer to use v.2 instead of v.3. I just don't like that some programs install services when there is no real need to run them. So I agree with you - if those services are useful, I don't mind running them. Otherwise, I prefer not to.

9. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

I have no argument with that (makes good sense)! ;)

10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

The reason why I stayed away from portable apps, is because I don't know if those apps are trustworthy?

Aren't they in fact repackaged (by a third party), or am I missing something? :cautious:

http://portableapps.com/apps

11. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Sometimes the developer makes a portable version available. Sometimes it's by a third party.

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

13. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

When it comes to minor utilities that I use occasionally, I find portable versions to be easier to work with.

14. donaddams

donaddams Registered Member

You could package your own portable apps with Cameyo Application Virtualization, it is free for personal use and works well with many 64bit & 32bit programs.

http://www.cameyo.com/

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  15. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I have a bunch of portable apps in a separate, non-system partition. They are mainly programs I don't use often and don't want taking up space on my system drive or slowing down backups I make, as well as programs I might want to access when in recovery mode. For example, undelete programs, some anti-malware tools like Emsisoft Emergency Kit, several portable browsers (not my main browser), GIMP Portable (too many subfolders and tiny files to keep on system partition), basic portable utilties, portable Truecrypt and PGP in case I need encrypt/decrypt something when Windows system partition is unavailable, and so forth. Since these programs are portable it also makes them convenient to copy to other computers or to give to other people. However, I prefer regular versions of programs I use frequently.

16. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

I use portable apps as they are contained and dont install extra services etc.

Also they are useful in a multi boot environment to use for instance portable firfox and have the same setup/prefs and bookmarks.
    Yes you could use cloud bookmark syncing but for security i prefer not to if possible

17. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes do not get me wrong, I also think that they are probably trustworthy, but it still feels a bit weird having to download an app that has been modified by a third party. But it is an awesome idea if you think about it, especially for USB drives. :)

Thanks I will check it out, seems interesting. :thumb:

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Actually, the only modification is the addition of directories and files needed to integrate any program into their Platform. They are very open in what they are trying to achieve:

What is a portable app? | PortableApps.com Format

I use their platform to test many programs that I don't want to install and muck up my Registry. However, your mileage may vary. ;) :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.