Any alternatives to wormguard.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by main, Jun 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. main

main Guest

Is there another program that does similar to what wormguard does?

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Pay, or free? Pete

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

"similar": probably. exactly the same: nope. Quality comes with a price tag ;).

regards.

paul

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Main,
    depends on what you want it to do. Blocking scripts from running? Yes, just that, various; hta stop and other nasty codes from web pages and emails, looking into the source in the safe mode and lots more, etc etc etc blocking unknown worms, and all extensions of your choice, getting more difficult even with a bunch of programs together to get what WG does.

5. main

main Guest

Free or pay it doesn't matter, I wnt something that stops harmful code/worms.

6. zOK

zOK Guest

Script Sentry, http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/scriptsentry.asp

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Why are you looking for an alternative for WormGuard then and not for WormGuard itself, which is top notch already and does lots more?
    At least shop around, try some and use it, an evaluation, and in some time you'll be notified about a new upgrade for WG4 after it's coming from beta testing. Registered users of WG3 are upgraded for free anyway, so don't hesitate to try and if you like register it.
    Can just say i wouldn't like to be a moment without it! It did really save my computer's life various times.
    And i love looking into files sources, so i know what is blocked and why, enabling me decide for myself if i want to run it anyway.

8. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

I've tested both ScriptSentry (above) and Robin Keirs ScriptTrap, both of which are available for free. If you want to go freeware, choose one of them. But i'll have to agree to Jooske, in that WormGuard is somewhat more complex (in operation, not in use), provides more information about why a certain file is suspect and seems to catch more of the nasties. Also if it catches one, it is definitely more comfortable than the other programs - you can not only "block" or "still run it", but you can put things on black- and whitelists and you can have Wormguard safeley display what it thinks the nasty code is.

HTHH,
    Andreas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.