Any Alternatives To What ShadowProtect Offers?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by DasFox, Oct 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

In the past I've been using Image For Windows, but I'm switching gears now, looking for something that offers a bit more and so I started playing with ShadowProtect.

Along with ShadowProtect I know quite a few imaging apps, just haven't looked at them lately to remember what they offer.

I wanted to know if anyone knows if there are any other good alternatives that offer, VM Imaging/VirtualBoot, Bare Metal Recovery and a Scheduler for automatic full and incremental backups, or the options to just do them manually by hand, full and incremental?

The one thing that is turning me off over ShadowProtect at the moment, when I look through the Backup wizard, it looks like in order to use what they call, 'Continuous Incrementals' is that you have to purchase the Image Manager and I don't like companies that sell you something, then you have to pay more to use a feature in it.

I find this bad marketing and sort of like the idea of a switch and bait. I mean it would be one thing if the product was free and if you wanted to use an Advance feature then you had to buy it, that would be one thing, but to sell something, then say now in order to have an advance feature you need to pay more, well that just takes the cake in my book and I think that's a real low ball from the company for doing this. :thumbd:

So now I'm looking for some other alternatives that can do what this product can do I mentioned at the top...

THANKS

2. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Image Manager comes (free) with Shadow Protect. I believe it is a separate install (I don't use it), but it is free.

3. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  4. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  5. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Ok my bad for not seeing those, BUT here's the confusion still, when you get ready to run a Backup and Click on the Continuous Incremental it says:

NOTE:
    You must use the ShadowProtect ImageManager service with this option.

So now I think ah ha, a 'Service' and then look through the services to see it, but nothing there, then in the start menu there is also an HTML link called ImageManager Home Page, alright, so something at last, but it just takes you to StorageCraft's home page... :(

All I can say is I'm not seeing where the heck this so called Service is, all I see is the 30 day trial to download... :blink:

Boy talk about making things difficult... :(

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yes it is a bit confusing.

The standard desktop trial only includes the desktop version, with no recovery. Go to the website, and click on the SP trial
    midway down, you will see two links. The top one is for the 30day trial. That is not what you want.

Under it is another link to request a full evaluation. Click that link. Ignore everything in red. Fill out the form.

It may take a few days, but you will get a link to download an ISO. Burn this to CD. It will have the installer for the desktop version, and imagemanager. You need to install them both. Select a simple password when you install image manager. The CD is also the recovery CD.

Then you need to set up imagemanager, and then you are good to go on continuous incrementals. They can be well worth it.

Pete

PS The reason you have to jump thru these hoops is they have to pay MS a royalty for every copy of the ISO they give away, so they want to be sure you are serious.

Pete

7. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Actually I was talking to them on the phone the other day...

Royalty on the ISO, why's that?

THANKS

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Because it includes the WinPe and VistaPE(I believe that's it's name)

Pete

9. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Peter -

Thank you for clarifying all that- I've been using SP for so long that I'd forgotten all that - the need to request a valuation copy.

10. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

The short answer is no.

11. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

What's the long answer? LMAO... :argh:

12. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

The long(er) answer is no, not at the present time. At least not that my ignorant little self is aware of anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.