Any alternatives for Scroogle? Anonymous search for Google?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by GKarista, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GKarista

GKarista Registered Member

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

3. GKarista

GKarista Registered Member

There's a problem with that list: they are all unique search engines, and the results are not based on Google's.

I mean, Scroogle was giving you (as far as I remember) seach results directly from Google. But it was acting as a proxy.

When you say: use Bing, DuckDuck, etc. instead, you are giving me alternate search engines, with unique search results. Not one that can access Google and give you Google results, without at the same time connecting you with Google servers.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Read the list again, there was no mention of Bing and most (if not all) of them query Google as a source. Startpage is what you're looking for if you want Google-only results.There may be others, but you'll have to research personally.

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I like Startpage and Ixquick as they can save settings by a unique url as opposed to a cookie. I'm not sure if other search engines do that...anyone know?

6. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

Duck Duck Go lets you save your search settings without cookies, with a custom URL.

7. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

That's why I use startpage. My cookies are deleted upon firefox exit.

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

thanks for the info

9. CaixFang

CaixFang Registered Member

DDG isnt true google results, however. I have moved away from DDG because I frequently end up having to go to google to get true results when searching for complex topics

10. justenough

justenough Registered Member

A search for "infowars startpage Katherine Albrecht" shows some odd associations that makes me question the judgement of the people behind Startpage. For now I'll stay with DDG.

11. Paranoid Eye

Paranoid Eye Registered Member

thx had no idea of this and was getting frustrated having to reset startpage search settings, my cookies are off and then further destroyed via 2 other plugins ! also adds a plugin so now got startpage custom search in the toolbar :)

12. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

Ixquick Search Engine Information Sharing:

Some results pages on Ixquick include a small number of clearly labeled sponsored links
    to cover operational costs.Those links are retrieved from the Google Adwords platform.
    The ads are NOT individually tailored to users, and Ixquick does NOT record any personal
    information or share personal information with Google at any time. Clicking on any search
    result without the use of the proxy will take the user to the third-party website and away
    from the protection of Ixquick. This is the case with all external pages, including
    our sponsored links. Note: the proxy can help you visit all regular search results
    anonymously but as you can see, there is no such option for visiting the sponsored links,
    as the advertisers need means to detect click fraud scams.

Ixquick's top priority is protecting the privacy of our users, while providing
    a quality service. (source: ixquick.com)

13. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

odd associations as in o_O , please elaborate, cause i couldnt read any of those so called odd associations :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icVuAGwRz78&list=UL

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  14. happyyarou666

first off Katherine Albrecht is the Head of U.S. Media Relations for Ixquick and does videos for them , well what evil does that do? i recon the rest of the crew would like to know as well , mind you where not all in the know

and the way i see it , hes an ok guy, jones that is , seems to be a pationate out of the box thinker imo,lols , does make some valid points as well thou but alot of invalid ones as well , wouldnt be suprised if half of what hes saying where true tbh as crazy as this world is

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-files/profiles/alex-jones

whats your opinion on jones id be interested on hearing them , im trying to understand your concern about these two individuals and startpage , mind you try not to go political , this is a non politics forum as you know

15. justenough

Yes, Alex Jones can be a hot-button issue politically. If people are interested they can research him and note that Albrecht appears on and hosts the Alex Jones show frequently, and decide for themselves if it matters about Startpage.

16. happyyarou666

well ive been checking out a couple of his clips and red that profile on him , not sure what to make of this honestly , its as said he got some good points and some bad points , its up to the people to use some common sense and think outside the box themselves , but then again all of this , im trying to figure

out what exactly makes you say this that albrecht hosting and appearing on his show advertising for startpage , startpage has been around much longer than albrecht being associated with startpage, is it that you think that startpage might be a fad and collecting data secretely or what is it , cause i sure cant make anything out of it , spit it out already, we cant read your mind o_O

17. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

18. justenough

My concern is exactly what I stated in my first post on this, the judgement of the company in associating themselves with InfoWars. Others might have a different opinion. :)

19. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

As expressed in the linked article below, semantic search may be better than Google, however, with regard to being anonymous, it does not yet support SSL.

This Grad Student Hacked Semantic Search To Be Better Than Google

The following are Google SSL oriented browser plugins that I have installed in Firefox: Google SSL, Google Search with SSL Encryption, Google UK SSL.

There is also ixquick SSL, and DuckDuckGo RU SSL that are also browser plugins in addition to Wikipedia SSL.

I have installed a browser search plugin from the MyCroft project that allows a user to search for browser (search) plugins - just to note, the F-Secure Search URL has not yet created a browser search plugin for itself which if it were created would show up in the MyCroft project search for it and any user would be able to add it to their browser search plugins. Correction: There is a link to create the browser search plugin for F-Secure Search right below the search window on its webpage URL. It was not found when I used the MyCroft search plugin with the URL for the F-Secure Search SSL webpage.

Currently, I have more search plugins than I normally use - but, some are highly specialized and I have yet to test them out, and others are now obsolete (e.g. AltaVista, and Scroggle) - current count = 56 with the F-Secure Search URL added to my browser search plugins.

-- Tom

20. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Incorrect. You can add it to Firefox straight from https://search.f-secure.com/.

21. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

See my correction!

-- Tom

22. J_L

J_L Registered Member

23. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

What is the difference between StartPage and Ixquick?

The difference between our two search engines is that StartPage returns Google results,
    while Ixquick returns results from other search engines, but not Google.

Both are equally private. (source: support.startpage.com)

DuckDuckGo gets its results from over one hundred sources, including DuckDuckBot
    (our own crawler), crowd-sourced sites (like Wikipedia, which are stored in our own index),
    Yahoo! (through BOSS), Yandex, WolframAlpha, and Bing.

(source:https://duck.co/help/results/sources)

24. happyyarou666

oh i see now , that makes it abit more clear , so you just think its bad judgement on theyre side associating themselves with infowars , gotcha now , well imo dont think this really makes a difference at all unless im missing the bigger picture o_O

25. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.