Any advantages using Chromium over Chrome?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by wat0114, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Besides Chromium being "bleeding edge", are there advantages or disadvantages, perhaps privacy-related, to using Chromium over Chrome?

I know Chromium lacks the PPAPI Flash plugin, for one, so why do some people prefer Chromium ( m00nbl00d? ;) ) over Chrome?

I've also hardened privacy settings in Chrome using HM's guide at Insanitybit Thanks Hungry Man and also not to forget m00nbl00d :)

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

These are the advantages I think about: 'bleeding edge' as you mentioned, and this including any kind of feature, including security related features; security vulnerabilities fixes will eventually arrive there first, then Chrome.

Unlike many like to say/think Google Chrome itself isn't open sourced, otherwise we'd have to say COMODO Dragon and any other Chromium based browser also is, and most are not. Chromium is open source.

3. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I think some people just feel more comfortable using a browser that was not released by Google. As you said, there are settings within Chrome to turn things off that would connect to Google, but I don't know if those cover all of them. (Of course the update service would connect.)

4. wat0114

Okay so maybe there are no really significant reasons to use Chromium over Chrome. The bleeding edge state of the former might even cause stability problems, I guess, although I didn't seem to experience any for the couple days I used it. Thanks.

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Another reason why power user may not want to use Google Chrome, may have to do with the fact that it installs a service to handle automatic updates. (Speaking of the official installer, not available portable versions.)

6. wat0114

True, but that doesn't bother me. If it needs to update, so be it :)

7. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I don't use Chrome because I don't trust Google about privacy. What about Chromium ?

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Review the code and compile. Then change the settings as you see fit. Personally, I don't see why Google is so distrusted over other major (U.S.) companies (not simply targeted at blacknight, who may trust none of them).

9. merisi

merisi Registered Member

Installing Chrome added a GoogleUpdate plugin into all my browsers and I didn't have a choice in whether I wanted it installed and I'm not able to remove it.

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I was talking about Chromium, which involves more than just executing and clicking yes, yes, yes.

Chrome does not add a plugin to all browsers, only an application that checks for updates in the background. If uninstalling Chrome didn't remove it, then I'm afraid you'll need extra assistance that I don't have time for right now.

If you want Chrome without that plugin, the easiest way is to use the PortableApps version, or a different Chromium-based browser.

11. merisi

merisi Registered Member

I accept that Chrome is a very solid browser and I've just disabled the plugin in my other browsers. I've read a way to get rid of it modifying registry but I've got it under control with AppGuard.

12. tlu

tlu Guest

This Chromium blog post explains the relationship between Chromium, Chrome and Google pretty well. Information regarding privacy can be found here and more detailed here.

With the right settings I don't see any privacy benefits of using Chromium. At least I haven't found any evidence supporting that claim. On the other hand, Chrome has the advantage of the integrated flash player and PDF reader running in the sandbox which improves your security.

And if it comes to "bleeding edge" - are the Chrome dev channel or even canary builds really not "bleeding edge" enough o_O

13. LOL: leading edge, cutting edge, bleeding edge, although it looks like good, better, best, the truth is that bleeding edge comes with bugs. Fantastic marketing promise "try our newest software and have the advantage to run into untested situations which might harm your setup". Agree with Thomas, but maybe someone can explain to me the advantages of "bleeding edge".

IMO the only advantage of chromium over chrome is that you have control over where flash is located. No stupid auto updates of Chrome's PPAPI flash to locations which are blocked by SRP or AppLocker rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.