Any Ad-Blocker for Windows Phone?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ams963, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Hi,

Is there any Ad-blocker for Windows Phone? Would be great to block ads on apps. If not at least for blocking ads on webpages in browser app, UC Browser.:)

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Does their Firefox Mobile support Adblock Plus? How about Opera Mobile's urlfilter.ini? Then of course, you can try custom DNS like FoolDNS or BA.net. Lastly, you can connect through an adblocking gateway.

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

No Firefox or Opera available in WP store.:( Firefox is expected to arrive in the first quarter of this year though.

How?:doubt:

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Windows phone OS is retarded in features IMO. It's more restrictive than Apple iOS even. Don't expect to block adds in Windows OS unless MS adds a builtin adblocker itelf in some future update.

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

What do you know, Googling give no options other than setting a custom DNS on your router.

As for adblocking gateway, I'll have to look into that. All I remember is that you have a device (could be an old computer) between your router and phone that runs a special OS that can adblock.

6. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@aigle

Yeah that I don't think MS would introduce into WP OS as Ads are beneficial to them.
    Is there any adblocker to at least block ads in the browser, UC Browser that is( the only good browser in WP )?

@J L

Oh gateway looks complicated and hard work. I'll wait for your insight after you take a look at it. Thanks.:)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Have you tried setting a custom DNS on your router? That shouldn't be too difficult.

I wouldn't really recommend the gateway option unless there are no alternatives and you must have adblocking.

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Yeah it should be easy. The only thing is that I don't use a router and I preferably use mobile network almost all the time.

Oh okay.

It would be great if I could at least get adblocking in the browser. It's extremely annoying and I am saved from them in the PC.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Probably nothing at all.

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Well, then the second solution wouldn't work either. I don't think there are adblocking options when using your mobile network. Better use WiFi for that.

11. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Ah, the brave new world of purposely insecure and unsecurable computing appliances.

FWIW: Since some Android app developers are using Android's VPN support/interface to provide no-root firewall/filter apps, I did a search for Windows Phone VPN and found this:

Microsoft to add VPN support to Windows Phone 8 in 2014
    http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-to-add-vpn-support-to-windows-phone-8-in-2014-7000017903/

Perhaps, through that, Windows Phone app developers will be able to provide some useful features for controlling outbound communications? Even if so, you'd want to be very thorough about testing things and check (WiFi interface *and* mobile interface) for phone home activity and/or ad fetching activity that bypasses your solution.

12. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@aigle
    Aw that's sad. Thanks for taking the time to help.:)

@J L
    Yeah I guess so. Thanks for the help.:)

@TheWindBringeth
    Ah that's a good hopeful news. Guess we'll have to take quite a time for any ad-blocking. Thanks for the news though.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.