Anty-spyware resident scan?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Atomas31, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi,

I'd like to know what is the most exhaustive and complete anti-spyware/adware resident scan or a combo of them? Is it Ad-Watch, SpySweeper, Giant/MS anti-spyware or any other or combination of two or more of them?

I already have Spyware blaster :)

Thanks,
    Atomas31

2. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

i dunno what the best is, but i've been using spywareblaster along with spybot s&d teatimer feature. they compliment each other well, and aside from a couple false-positives, i haven't had any spyware on my computer over the past 2 years. best of all they are both free! i do check once a week with ad-aware and bazooka just to be sure. i didn't care too much for the ms anti-spyware version too much, but will probably try it again when it comes out of beta. spywareguard is also worth looking into, i don't use it anymore, but it does add another layer of security.

3. Atomas31

Hi intoxsickated,

I don't really like Tea Timer, I have try it at one time and didn't felt secure with it. Right now, I have Ad-Watch and SpySweeper has residant scan so I don't use Spyware Guard anymore (it seems to just created redundancy!). But, I want to use the least spyware/adware scan resident with the higher degree of protection without too much redundancyo_O?

Thanks,
    Atomas31

4. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

I have latest licensed versions of both SpywareDoctor and Spy Sweeper.

I think both are excellent, differing primarily in the 'Shields' concept of Spy Sweeper.

Scanning with Spybot and AdAware have never found any suspect items that were missed by either SpywareDoctor or Spy Sweeper real-time scanner.

The 'Common Ads Shield' of Spy Sweeper is very effective, but may cause some confusion when you use the 'Back' button of the IE browser. For example, if this shield kills three ads, you'll have to press the 'Back' button four times to go back to the previous site (just right-click the 'Back' button and select).

Also, if you shut down Spy Sweeper, you'll find that some of the 'Shields' are still in place. To remove these shields you'll have to open Spy Sweeper, turn off the shields and exit to remove the shields.

I think both are excellent - why not trial them both before decision?

As real-time scanners, both TeaTimer and SpywareGuard leave suspect items found by subsequent Spybot and AdAware scans - but they're free.

Hope this helps!

5. Atomas31

Hi gud4u,

Thanks for your recommandation but my question is more about the resident scan than the scan on demand itself.

So anyone have an opinion on that?

Thank you,
    Atomas31

6. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

Regarding resident real-time scanners, perhaps I was unclear.

After running real-time resident scanner of SpywareDoctor, neither Spybot nor AdAware on-demand scanners have ever found anything that was missed by the resident real-time scanner of SpywareDoctor.

Same for the resident real-time scanner of Spy Sweeper.

In other words: Spybot and AdAware scans were used to test/confirm that the resident real-time scanners of both SD an SS are quite effective.

An important comparison of memory load for SD and SS resident scanners:
    - SpywareDoctor real-time scanner memory load is 32.6MB.
    - Spy Sweeper real-time scanner memory load is 11.9MB - much less.

Hope this helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.