antivirus & spyware cant run 2 of each

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by yvesj, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yvesj

yvesj Registered Member

hi there i like to know if it possible to install 2 antivirus and 2 spyware at the same time here is what i have running now
    ad-aware.se
    spywareblaster
    avg antu-virus fee edition 7.5.432 861
    avg 7.5.0.50
    now do i need one more anti spyware o_Oo_O
    if so do you know of a good one easy to use i did try spybot yesterday it to hard to use for me well o_O what about antivir is that one of the or do you have one good one easy free antispyware o_O one more think every morning when i log on the antivirus 7.5.432.861 is seam to me it doing a scan is this is normal i did try to change the date to one a week but i need the pay sub to do that so i did set it for during the nigth but it did not work do i have leave my pc on all nigth so it will do the scan the time i set for the nigth o_O
    thank you
    yvesjo_O

2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

You'll no doubt get more detailed (and possibly even more correct) answers from others. But as a rough rule of thumb, it's usually best to stick to just one resident (real-time) checker active, although you may have several apps installed for full scans. More than one active at once can cause interference problems, possibly even crashes.

3. yvesj

yvesj Registered Member

thank you so what you are saying is if i decide to use one more antivirus i do have i uninstall the one i have in is that rigth then run the next one in
    you see i just did check the status and it all up to date and running
    but what i cant not figure out is i do not have the same screen of the one they show on the new up date i going to try to show you the screen with atachement i hope it work this the one i want with all the 6 picture
    yvesj

Attached Files:

4. yvesj

yvesj Registered Member

here is the screen i have now
    yvesj

Attached Files:

5. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Hi Yvesj,
    What you are seeing is two different windows of the same program. One is a status window, the other the control panel, but it's all still the same program. If you are happy with AVG antivirus, keep it. If you want to run another one the options are (1) Install a stand-alone non resident antivirus, like, for example, DrWeb Cureit, or (2) Uninstall AVG and install a new, different antivirus with resident (realtime) capability.
    If you just want a second scan sometimes, a "second opinion" to be thorough, I recommend (1). It's a hassle to change antivirus every time you want to scan with something else.
    A third option is to go to one of the program sites and have a scan online. Trend Micro, Kaspersky, F-secure, and Panda are some of the program sites that can do this.
    You can sometimes get away with having more than one realtime antispyware, but conflictions are possible, especially if something is detected. So it's better to have one realtime, and one or two non-realtime, or "on demand" scanners. AdAware and Spybot are both examples of on demand scanners. There are others that are probably better, including Superantispyware, which in the free version is on demand, and should be configured not to start with windows, and Asquared.
    Any of these should be updated before doing a scan.
    I hope that helps
    Tarq.

6. yvesj

yvesj Registered Member

thank you
    i will do what you say above well i just finish downloaded avg 7.5.432.904 and i still have the same screen like you said it do not matter it work the same
    now one more question where do i post for google up date because today a pop up on the tool bar where the clock is saying to up date so i dont know what to do
    yvesj

7. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

You don't need to Google for updates. On the program there is a tab titled "check for updates". Just click it.
    Be aware you have two different AVG programs. AVG Antivirus, and AVG antispyware. Similar, but different. These two can run together.

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yes it is possible to run two AV apps and 2 AS apps at the same time. Now whether its advisable is another story. It would certainly drain system performance.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

and the conflicts when they could fight over some malware.....
    lodore

10. yvesj

yvesj Registered Member

thank you guy i will make sure i do not run 2 off each right now am all set for good because they up date by them self
    as for google yes the up date is in the ALL PROGRAM but it the same up grade as the pop up i ad this morning what i did this morning when i deceide to do the up grade i was not to sure of it so i did hit pause so tomorow i will finist it thank you again
    this is a really good forum site FAST REPLY keep it up
    yvesj

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its best to have one really good antivirus as realtime and one really good antispyware as realtime if you want a antispyware as realtime that is.
    AVG tends to be quite low detection rate but if you a safe surfer its fine.
    you can use drweb cureit from my sig as a free backup scanner to make sure your pc is clean.
    or run the online scanner from kaspersky from here http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner
    the free version of superantispyware at www.superantipyware.com can be used for on demand scans to make sure you clean say run once a week.
    if the scans above detect quite alot of malware it might be wise to get a antivirus with better detection.
    i just use kaspersky internet secuirty on its own in realtime.
    you dont really need a realtime antispyware if you dont surf the dark side of the web and its better to use eiether opera or firefox rather than internet explorer.
    lodore

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  12. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Yvesj,
    would it be correct to assume you want free programs, here?

13. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

For ease of use i recommend

AVG free
    Spyware Blaster
    Windows Defender
    Firefox + No Script

14. yvesj

yvesj Registered Member

thank you i will use the kaspersky for scanning one week i did try the 2 link but the page did not comming well this all rigth i do have the name this is all i need
    i do not surf the web much mainly google you know stuf like that
    my daugther and my grandson they shat on line and they to use google it about what we do so really i do not need 100% fully cover for antivirus and spyware i do scan often and all there is is some litte stuff and cookies and did ad 2 higth risk last week but there are gone know i will contact you after the next scan and let you know what they found the 2 of them i mean antivirus and spyware i will do the 2
    no i will stik with internet explorer
    yvesj

15. yvesj

yvesj Registered Member

thank you if you have some i will be happy to check them out just gave me the name and number and dates for the last up date .all the one i have they all up to date
    i did try avast antivir etc etc but antivir i was not able to program it avast i do not like page set up i look like a kid play station i did play with it for wyll and it to complecated for me anyway guide me to some good one for free like i said i do not suft the webb that mouch nothing fency
    yvesj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.