antivirus software

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lodore, Jul 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I have at mo got f-secure like I have said many times lol.

i have looke at kaspersky but it seems to use alot of resourse and i was thinking there must be a solution that uses less resourse but provides the same protection. e.g. nod32 and some thired party firewall e.g kerio
    or avira antivir and kerio firewall intill at least the firewall version comes out.
    all setups will also inclued spywweeper as real time.
    or the new f-prot when it comes out and thired party firewall probaly kerio again. any othere good combos which are low on resourse but great security.
    btw i have a amd 3200 64bit socket 754 processer so its nowe slow and its backed up by 1gb of ram but i dont want my pc to be slowed down by secuirty if possible.

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

1. Have you actually tried KAV/KIS 2006 on their default settings? With your system it should easily cope with either program. Have you found high CPU usage/slowdown of your computer's performance?

2. Lightweight AV's, apart from NOD, Avira AntiVir and F-Prot, include Dr Web, CSAV and VBA32. Try some of these on your system as ALL of these IME, should have very little effect on system performance.

3. I would suggest running SpySweeper only on-demand. Most Anti-Spyware applications in real-time suck up a lot of resources. Have you noticed any incompatibility between SS and KAV in real-time?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am using KAV6, and it uses less memory than any other AV I have tried, including NOD32.
    I would not try to dissuade you from using NOD, as it is an excellent AV. I liked it so well that I almost did not try KAV6. I settled on KAV6, but would be happy with NOD.

On my machine, however, KAV6 uses slightly less memory, scans faster, and also runs well with my other applications.

I have not used the other AVs mentioned by Blackcat, but they are worth trying.
    There is a following of F-Protect here on Wilders, but I have no experience with it.

I have F-Secure AV on my laptop, and while it does use a lot more memory that either KAV6 or NOD, I have not had a problem with "slowdown."

Best,
    Jerry

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I use f-secure and it has conflicts with spysweeper and also f-secure uses up alot of rosourse. also when i tested kaspersky 6.0 on my old pc it kept on coming up with popup boxes every two minutes now if i have it on my main pc i dont want to have to tell it what to do when the boxes come up , i will just want to use my pc so nod32 is a more "silent" av.

the other thing is all the options in nod32 so much tweaking to be done. since i know alot about computers i do like to fiddle to get the settings right.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

This contradicts with what you reported over on the KAV forum .

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

it is some what true but that is only pc and not a real test. on my test on my old p3 dell system. first nod32 the stsrtup time was fast and like it had no av installed. on the other hand kaspersky on startup did hang and slowed down the computer after the bootup. so i think its a hard chose because they are around the same dectecion rate like 94.3 and 94.4 now thats very close dectection rate . and the thing is they are both great products no doubt about that. if i got kaspersky i would get kav and not kis. I want light stand alone antivirus to go with spysweeper and then i would add a thired party firewall like i said above.

but if say when i want to get new antivirus and firewall say for e.g. eset secuirty suite with firewall and antispam or antivir pm with firewall is out i would probaly got one of those

any comments I will be glad to hear

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

after these useful posts i think i might in the end when it needs renewing probaly as follows
    spysweeper
    kav6.0
    kerio firewall or someothere third party firewall.

oh btw i have got a 120day trial of kav on a coverdisc I might try to see.

also when will the problems with kav 6 be fixed e.g. slowed internet down?

also i could try kis6.0

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Just don't use web antivirus. Then your internet won't be slowed down. I don't use it and couldn't use NOD32's (that is why I left NOD32 when they came out with that). Both cripple my internet speed. I just set KAV to scan everything (custom security level) and see no slow downs except KAV takes a bit of time to scan at boot but I can open Fx, etc. while it finishes...I don't have to sit and wait on it. You don't need web antivirus. That is a sales gimmick. Let the Real Time monitor do its job and forget the gimmicks.

9. Suggers

Suggers Guest

I completely agree on the sales gimmick part, I used the Panda active scan on their website, you have to put in your email address and despite choosing the option NOT to receive emails from them, my hotmail account has been bombarded by them, I have had up to 4 per day, clicking the "unsubscribe" button at the bottom of the email has increased the number of emails!
    Some of their emails also tell me a virus was detected during the scan (I stopped the scan half-way through and it showed no results), however KAV and NOD32 dont show anything so that must be another gimmick.

Seems like I am not the only person: http://forums.pcpitstop.com/lofiversion/index.php/t117098.html

This is poor from a company who sells antispam software :rolleyes:

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.